Can Protein Convert to Fat?

What's in YOUR cart Dan?
laugh.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis
http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/cache/-1845100485.htm

tounge.gif
Answer = Gluconeogenesis + Nitrogen Balance

Gluconeogenesis occurs when the body has insufficient glucose to supply the body with its energy needs. In that case, the liver makes glucose from amino acids (ie: protein).

You can see that this doesn't happen everyday because of nitrogen balance. In general, you pee out as much nitrogen (from amino acids) as you take in, unless you are growing or shrinking! If gluconeogenesis happened all the time, the nitrogen balance would show that nitrogen out is much smaller than nitrogen in.

If I listened to bro logic, i wouldn't be doing HST, it would still all be about working to failure.
rock.gif

<div>
(stevejones @ Mar. 02 2007,01:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The great thing about this is that you don't need to know much about the science to work a program or construct a good diet.</div>
yes, but when somebody asks a scientific question, they generally like a scientific answer. If a man goes to his doctor and asks 'how does this statin lower cholesterol', would he like to be told &quot;look, shut up, eat and train!&quot;

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Just as a race car driver doesn't need to know much about his car's engine, an athlete doesn't need to know much about his body to perform.</div>
But when one asks a technical question, they would expect a technical answer.  If teh driver said what gave the engine more power, woudl the engineer just say &quot;look, shut up, eat and train!&quot;

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> So, if the science behind bbing interests you, then by all means study it, but all that will accomplish is to make you either a better professional or amateur scientist, not a better bber.  </div>
My job title tells me im a science-tologist

Steve, you put it much better than I did.

Now about the excess protein making one fat. Sorry, it simply is true. That's why things like Atkins, and some of the newer/more improved variants are high fat - not high protein. They are high protein compared to the standard american diet, but not exceptionally so. 25-35% most of the time.

Jack that protein above 50% and go in excess on calories and see what happens. Eat it with enough carbs so that you aren't using some of it for energy and see what happens.

My point is - ANYTHING THAT YOU EAT IN EXCESS, IF YOU GO OVER YOUR CALORIC REQUIREMENTS WILL BE STORED AS FAT. Sorry, I won't bow at the alter of science or protein. I will not discout &quot;Bro Logic&quot; and use it as a putdown. Why? Because some of the best learning experiences I ever had was working out with some really big, not very smart guys in the gym. Not from some wormy looking guy in a lab. I'm still a wormy looking guy myself. But that's better than the former 300lb lardass I was and the 200lb skinny bastard of today is better than the 170lb skinny bastard of last spring.

Did I get it in a lab? No, I got it in the gym closing my mouth and lifting. Pushing away from the books and moving the iron.

Why aren't we all lifting to failure? Well, the biggest and strongest ones I know still are. To be honest - my joints can't take it for too long. so why not do HST instead, it's easier, gives my body results so I like it. Do I care why it works? Not a chance.

Now, like I said, I apologize for misreading part of the OP asking for refs. My mistake. The part I did answer - no mistake there. The answer is a simple - YES. And I did briefly explain why.

And Aaron - yeah, you probably could beat me in a battle of wits these days. Since the brain damage and all the testing down at Shepard Center - I learned that my IQ did actually drop to 132. Again, do I care? No. However, my original post is dead on accurate, logical, and correct.

Vagrant, I have to say you have managed to annoy the sh*t out of me with your stupid posting here. But also that I agree with you on the point that caloric excess will stored as fat regardless of where the calories come from (protein/carbs/fat).

Is there anybody arguing that excess calories are NOT stored as bodyfat regardless of wether they are protein or carbs, etc.? Aaron surely this is true, can you please explain how excess calories get stored as bodyfat if carbs and proteins are rarely converted to fat. I am ignorant in this area.
sad.gif

<div>
(vagrant @ Mar. 02 2007,16:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> However, my original post is dead on accurate, logical, and correct.</div>
Provide peer reviewed evidence, otherwise its just more worthless comments

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Mar. 02 2007,16:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Is there anybody arguing that excess calories are NOT stored as bodyfat regardless of wether they are protein or carbs, etc.? Aaron surely this is true, can you please explain how excess calories get stored as bodyfat if carbs and proteins are rarely converted to fat. I am ignorant in this area.
sad.gif
</div>
Under a normal diet of an american, its predominantly the dietary fat they consume that is stored. (if they ate maintenance, some of the fat they consume would be burnt, the rest would replace fat pulled from storage)

Under subjects consuming a hypercaloric extremely low fat diet, there is denovolipogenesis, which I mentioned earlier.

If the subject is consuming a hypercaloric low protein, low carb, high fat diet, they will still store fat, as the body loves fat.

Fat balance is the key

So if we don't worship at the altar of Aaron and trade research links it's stupid posting?

Simply stating facts that most of the training world already understands and already knows isn't enough?

Sorry for you guys.

Bow to the science. Bow to Aaron.

Myself, I'll stick with the knowledge that took me from 300lbs at 60%BF to 200lbs at less that 10%BF. Changed from a body that couldn't walk on it's own to a triathlete. Added about 60lbs of muscle during all this time (there were ups and downs as I experimented and learned) Anyone else who has physically done that will then be qualified to discuss the topic with me further.

Until then, I'm out of this thread.

Umm, why can`t there be a middle way in all of this bro vs. scientist crap?It`s like the only possible path is either to shut up and lift, without having any idea about what`s going on, praying that it`ll work or being a scrawny/lard assed scientist that can only read studies, but that has no idea about training?I think both extremes are wrong.

What`s wrong with actually understanding why stuff works?As long as you`re not neglecting your training and don`t get caught up in minutiae, it should be ok.
What`s wrong with not being very up to date with the latest research on mapk, mtor, protein acylation etc?As long as you`re not doing something awfully retarded, like following some Flex routine, blowreps, static contraction training or some other crap like that, you should be fine.

And Vagrant, I still think you`re missing the point. I kindof doubt the huge-assed supermarket shoppers are like that due to protein...point me to one of them whomping on lean chicken breast, tuna cans, skimmed milk, low-fat cottage cheese and fiberous veggies. If you point me to one having cheeseburgers, all kinds of crap cereal, sugary drinks and so on and so forth, I doubt it was the protein that got him fat.

Can a huge asteroid strike the earth?Well, umm, yes, maybe. Can protein actually convert to fat?Well, umm, yes, maybe. The catch is that the odds of both of those things happening are...low.

<div>
(vagrant @ Mar. 02 2007,13:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Anyone else who has physically done that will then be qualified to discuss the topic with me further.

Until then, I'm out of this thread.</div>Relatively speaking I have
2_me_00_1.jpg
Me Nov 2000

2_Me_03_1.jpg
Me 2003 (May'ish I believe)

2_March_05_1.jpg
Me spring 05

2_me_Nov_05_1.jpg

Me Nov 2005

<div>
(quadancer @ Mar. 01 2007,13:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What's in YOUR cart Dan?  
laugh.gif
</div>
eh eh eh, remember Step 1
biggrin.gif

Nice remodeling Dan! That first pic...you looked like you were on your way out!
A diabetic friend of mine once told me to look around in my walk in life. Notice how many very old fat people there are. Notice how many very old thin people there are.

It's a no-brainer, huh?

<div>
(vagrant @ Mar. 03 2007,07:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Anyone else who has physically done that will then be qualified to discuss the topic with me further.

Until then, I'm out of this thread.</div>
When you gain a post graduate qualification in the area, then you will be qualified to discuss this topic with me further.

Back