Canned Soup

I don't think so :confused:
In this kind of soups there are a lot of sodium and preservative.

IMO it really depends on what kind you get. I dont worry too much about sodium, maybe i should, but i dont I just drink a lot of water. Progresso Vegetable Classics makes a few good ones, my favorite being lentil. It has like a gram of fat, 31 g of carbs with 7 g fiber and 11 g of protein. I add some chicken to that and there you go a nice complex carb high protein high fiber meal. Dont know about the preservatives factor but ingredients say water, celery, lentils, tomatoes or something, no high fructose corn syrup or stuff like that. They also make a pretty good black bean one also with even more fiber but a little less protein i believe. I use them regularly and just split the 2 cup can into 1 cup servings.

Maybe I'm a little biased about this kind of food.
Infact I really like to cook, I always have fresh vegetables and fresh meat (my parents in law live in the countryside) and when I want to eat legumes like lentils I buy the dry ones.
I'm not used to canned food (except tuna ;) ).

I'm sure that ultimately, making soup or anything for that matter from scratch, ie controlling exactly what goes in it is absolutely better for you. But the question about canned soup being healthy is, based on my experience, a definite yes. Healthier than all fresh ingredients, not a chance. I suppose I could buy dry lentils and fresh veggies etc, but in the interest of time and convienence I dont and i think if you select your ____ (insert your store bought meal here) carefully you will still get pretty adequate nutrition. Ghost, I only wish I had the time to make it like you could...

I eat Progresso chicken noodle quite a bit. I just like the ratio of carbs/protein/fat (13/7/2) in it. Sure, it may have a lot of sodium (980 mg) but I've also been known to eat pretzels and other salty foods.

I always add one or two chicken breasts to each can of soup. This brings the ratio of carbs way down and gives me enough protein.

I like soup and stews. Normally, I make them from scratch and make enough to freeze or refrig a few servings to take to work.

Back