Deadlifting

I just got back from a workout-today was dead day and I managed 5 x 160 kg with overhanded grips.

That's great pierre! I just started doing dead-lifts, I was doing romanian deads for hamstrings and normal deads are much more intense. I am only using 120 kg which seems like nothing compared to some of you guys, but I did 10 reps today and it was soo hard! At first I couldn't get the first rep off the floor, then after 10 reps I was gasping for breath between each rep and my whole body was warm and heart was thumping....unbelievable exercise, these make squats seem easy!
wow.gif

Hey Doc, that's great lifting.

Sci, your deads will improve rapidly if you are just starting off with them. This last year I have only done conventional deads once a week during 5s and they have really come on.

Just did normal deads again last night for the first time this cycle (I start 'em during 5s) as I do SLDLs up till then.

Started with 140kgs and they felt so easy compared to last cycle. I think I could have done 20 reps right off the bat! That must mean that my combo of AtoG squatting and SLDLs has really been helping.

If things go well before the end of the year, I hope to hit 200kgs for a few singles which will be a new PB but, sadly, I will need straps to do it.

I think deads done with good form are excellent therapy for the back. You know that stiff, painful feeling when you strain your lower back? Even after doing dead-lifts every 48 hours, this morning my back felt great...warm and soft, and flexible. Not the usual stiff pain from overuse or overstrain.
I don't do shrugs or calf work, but my trapezius and calves definitely got stimulated nicely yesterday doing deads. Only a decade or so to go to to have a back like steve or leige!
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Nov. 23 2006,08:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">.warm and soft, and flexible.  
biggrin.gif
</div>
what a great way to describe it!

As far as the beauty of Deads, as Tippetoe states-&quot; It is hard to argue about the strength of a man with an 800+ lb dead lift&quot;

I normally do Deads only on Wednesdays, but when I switch to a 3 x 3 cycle it will be a three day a week Dead-Squat affair.

I also do no shrugs and no calf work and the deads hit both perfectly for me.
I think I am gentically lucky in that although I am rather tall at 6´2&quot;, the proportions of my arm length, torso length and leg length make deadlifting for me a fun adventure.

And yes, I feel ATG squats are a tremendous aid in squating as well as the reverse.

All Hail the Deadlift!

Steve and Tot,

Thanks for the feedback,

But Steve, I thought that's what straps were, just long pieces of nylon that fits over your wrist and you wrap around the bar???

What are the straps you are referring to?

<div>
(nipponbiki @ Nov. 23 2006,10:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Steve and Tot,

Thanks for the feedback,

But Steve, I thought that's what straps were, just long pieces of nylon that fits over your wrist and you wrap around the bar???

What are the straps you are referring to?</div>
I'm referring to regular wrist straps that you can usually buy on ebay for 5 or 6 bucks.

First off, when you deadlift with straps you should be using a double overhanded grip, as there is no reason to use an alternate grip.  You place the strap around your wrist, then under the bar and then over, so that you are wrapping against the fingertips.  

I've seen some guys use straps that are very long, and they wrap it around the bar 1 or 2 times and then move it back under the bar against their fingertips. IMO this could wind up being dangerous.

Back