Deadlifting

GothicSerpent

When I deadlift I used a mixed grip with my right palm facing in and my left facing out. Is it important to change this up each set or each workout. Do lifters tend to favor one side when using a mixed grip?

I would definitely switch grips. I have developed a shoulder muscle imbalance and it makes me very cautious about doing anything with one hand and not the other.
What I do is alternate my mixed grip for each set as you described. I am right-handed and my natural instinct is to grip the bar underhand with my right and over with my left. But I switch it now so both sided get the same exercise.
smile.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Nov. 18 2006,10:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am right-handed and my natural instinct is to grip the bar underhand with my right and over with my left.</div>
Curious, I thought that most right handers do the opposite.

I do, and it feels much more natural to me to pronate the right hand and supinate the left. I hadn't done deads in a long time, but used to do them that way before, so maybe that's the reason.

I don't think that there's a lot of difference in arm stimulation except maybe some in forearms, but switching up occasionally might still be a good idea. I really like to go overhand, then go over/under for heavier weights, straps as a last resort.

I go over/over when the loads are light, then over/under when they are heavier and use straps once I'm in the 5s if my grip starts to give out. (I'd like to not have to use straps so I'm working on improving my grip strength but for the time being they are essential if I'm to use my heaviest loads.)

Like NTx, I am right-handed and favour a pronated right hand and supinated left. That just seems natural to me but I switch it around each set to even things out.

I'm sure it isn't necessary if you can hold on long enough to get your reps done! I do think that deloading after each rep and re-gripping the bar helps a lot with maintaining a decent hold on the bar.

Do any of you guys use chalk/resin to aid your grip? The bars in my gym are slippery as heck.

Liegelogrd, I don't recall how much you can deadlift, but I know it's a lot.  If you can deadlift that weight with an overhanded grip (without straps), you're an animal.  I always use a mixed grip.  If you aren't using one, you need to try it.  Forearm &amp; hand muscles are alot smaller than your back/leg muscles, and you will be able to pull more weight using an alternate grip.  The increase in weight will depend on how strong your back/legs are.  The world record in the deadlift is 1003 lbs by Bolton.  There is not a human on earth who can double overhand 800 lbs, unless he's using straps.  If I'm wrong, I'll have to see a picture of someone doing it before I believe it.

Like many others here, I use a mixed grip and alternate it for each set just to make sure that I won't develop any imbalancies. An exception is my warm-up sets, for those I just use an over-over grip, as they are easy enough to allow this.

Faz is getting to where I wanted to.

Mixed grip improves safety, because the bar cannot roll off the hands.

I use a mixed grip and swtich each time, so as to not get any imbalances, never tried straps but am tempted to try sometime, I may just improve on my current weight.
biggrin.gif

AS Faz said, it is a safety issue. BUT, using both overhanded improves grip strength!
I only use mixed on the last set when it is heavy. Pretty soon, I will be able to do the last heavy set with both overhanded. If you use mixed grip, you must adjust the grip placement about 5mm to the outside of the supinated hand to avoid a twisting of the torso during the pull.
SOme people also play with foot placement, but I have had better results just grabbing wider in the supinated hand

<div>
(Fausto @ Nov. 20 2006,09:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Faz is getting to where I wanted to.

Mixed grip improves safety, because the bar cannot roll off the hands.

I use a mixed grip and swtich each time, so as to not get any imbalances, never tried straps but am tempted to try sometime, I may just improve on my current weight.
biggrin.gif
</div>
Yep, I think you should do that. Your grip might be slowing down gains you could be making in your back. Only one sure way to know, and that's to test your strength with straps. My grip was slowing me down alot until I spent alot of time training it to get stronger, in the meantime I used straps.

<div>
(liegelord @ Nov. 19 2006,00:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've never used an over/under grip, is it really necessary?

What do you use stevejones?</div>
How big are your forearms leige???
wow.gif

Mine are 13&quot;, I want 14&quot; someday, but I am just a beginner. I would imagine once I am dead-lifting numbers like yours, they will be 14&quot; or so. Your grip must be monstrous!

All the best with your continued MaxStim Sci.

A friend of mine who can deadlift a lot of weight (500+) and never uses straps has a grip like iron. If I shake his hand it's more akin to grabbing a piece of oak than something made of flesh and blood!
cool.gif

How are we to measure forearms by the way? Largest point with elbows straight or bent?

My right forearm measures 13&quot; cold and my left is 12.75&quot; cold, with elbows straight. Not great.
sad.gif
But at least they are a helluva lot better than a year ago!
smile.gif

I don't have big forearms, forearms and biceps are not my strong points.
mad.gif
I do have pretty good grip strength and it's really improved since using a hook-grip. Yeah, it hurts like hell the first few times, but you get used to it and it will really improve your grip.

I do use straps when deadlifting for reps and sets 405+. I can probably pull 470-480 once without straps. I don't use straps for my other pulls though. I shouldn't use straps at all, maybe my forearms would improve.
biggrin.gif

I don't plan on using straps ever, two reasons: I want huge forearms, and I do max-stim so the slight rest between lifts allows me to recover grip strength before the next pull. I know I might slow down back growth this way, but I don't care my back will have to wait for my grip strength if that happens!
laugh.gif

I have always deadlifted/rowed/done pullups under the understanding that in the long run, mixed grips and/or grip aids are dangerous and will eventually lead to injury.

I am with Liege on this one. If you need a mixed grip or straps to lift the weight, it's too heavy.

I do, however, use chalk freely. Quit my last gym because they told me I can't use it! Sheesh, only need it during the 5s anyway.

i only use straps when i am in the post 5s,build up your forearm strength in the 15s 10s etc by not using straps,
but as steve pointed out if your forearms are stoping you lifting more weight then use straps otherwise your back is not going to get the workout it needs,its going to have to wait for the forearms to catch up.

Back