Eating for Performance

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BIGBANGSingh @ Aug. 06 2004,10:09)]Any ideas on what eating for performance would be? Or is it essentially the same as eating for size?
What kind of performance?

Lyle

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lylemcd @ Aug. 06 2004,12:41)]
wow.gif
9-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BIGBANGSingh @ Aug. 06 2004,10
wow.gif
9)]Any ideas on what eating for performance would be? Or is it essentially the same as eating for size?
Lyle
Performance in general - eating to optimize strength and conditioning.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BIGBANGSingh @ Aug. 09 2004,9:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (lylemcd @ Aug. 06 2004,12:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BIGBANGSingh @ Aug. 06 2004,10<!--emo&amp;
wow.gif
)]Any ideas on what eating for performance would be? Or is it essentially the same as eating for size?
Lyle
Performance in general - eating to optimize strength and conditioning.
Well, in the fundamental sense you need

a. sufficient energy to cover both basal needs and activity related increases in energy expenditure.
b. sufficient building blocks to support growth/rebuilding/recovery and promote adaptation

So, sufficient calories (unless yo'ure trying to lose bodyfat) to cover a and sufficient protein/vitamins/minerals for b.

Lyle

I think a person might be able to think of performance in two ways, physiological performance and athletic performance. I think most people assume you are talking about athletic performance. I would offer that athletic performance is mostly about skill. Physiological performance is mostly about &quot;conditioning&quot; to whatever demands participation of the sport requires.

In the end, what Lyle said is still pretty much all there is. It is in the “management of the individual athlete” that the experience and know-how comes in. This requires as much psychological babysitting as nutritional counseling.

Back