electric's log

4th HST Cycle, day 2. BW @ 73.8Kg (162.7lbs). Routine:

Flat BB Bench - 2x15 @ 57Kg (126lbs)
V-Squat Machine - 2x15 @ 100Kg (220lbs)
Pendlay's Row - 2x15 @ 57Kg (126lbs)
Upright Row - 2x15 @ 32Kg (71lbs) - Ez-Curl Bar
Machine Weighted Crunch - 2x15 @ 55Kg (121lbs)

Very tired. Anyway, the upright row is a power upright or high pull of sorts as I use some hip motion to help. At the moment, with this weight, it is not really necessary tho.

4th HST cycle, day 3. BW @ 74.3Kg (163.8lbs). Routine:

Deadlift - 2x15 @ 93Kg (205lbs)
Dips - 2x15 @ BW-12Kg (26lbs) - total of ~62Kg (137lbs)
Chinup - 2x15 @ BW-9Kg (20lbs) - total of ~65Kg (143lbs)
OHP - 2x15 @ 35Kg (77lbs)
Weight Machine Crunch - 2x15 @ 60Kg (132lbs)

It's only the 3rd day and it was brutal. I felt light-headed throughout the workout. I think I have to blame the deadlifts. They are not heavy, but the 2 sets of 15 reps are draining my energy. Grip started failing due to fatigue.
I believe the assisted machine is not really assisting much since I lose contact with the pad since I am probably raising both on dips and chins faster then the pad. Anyway it will go away when I get to the BW+ territory.

<div>
(electric @ Jan. 09 2009,9:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It's only the 3rd day and it was brutal. I felt light-headed throughout the workout. I think I have to blame the deadlifts. They are not heavy, but the 2 sets of 15 reps are draining my energy. Grip started failing due to fatigue.

I believe the assisted machine is not really assisting much since I lose contact with the pad since I am probably raising both on dips and chins faster then the pad. Anyway it will go away when I get to the BW+ territory.</div>
Deadlifts during the 15's can be particularly challenging. It's not so much that they are heavy, as that they tend to be almost aerobic! This seems the more especially so after a few weeks off. You might be further ahead to go with only one set of 15.

I agree about the wussy-assist chin/dip machine. Once the assist gets down into the range of 10kg or so, it seems the pad doesn't want to keep up with our knees...

Had a major cold last week with a fever that went up to 40C (104F) - ouch. By Thursday I was better, but thought I should not try my luck, so I only restarted lifting today. I decided to repeat last Friday's workout, so:
4th HST cycle, day 3 (again). Routine:

Deadlift - 15, 5, 5, 5 @ 91Kg (201lbs)
Dip - 15, 10, 5 @ BW-10Kg (22lbs)
Chinup - 15, 10, 5 @ BW-7Kg (15lbs)
Crunch 2x15 @ 60Kg (132lbs)

Skipped OHPs. Scale was broken so didn't get my BW. I know it went down during my sick week.

I always find the second week of 15s really tough, esp. with deads on the menu. I think doing one set of 15 reps for deads and then adding more reps in smaller sets is the best bet (like you did last time). I tend to try for 15, 10, 5 if I'm after 30 total reps.

HST Day 4 - 15s. BW @ 72.9Kg (160.7lbs). Routine:

Flat BB Bench - 14, 8, 6, 3 @ 63Kg (139lbs)
V-Squat - 2x15 @ 110Kg (243lbs)
Pendlay Row - 15, 10, 5 @ 63Kg (139lbs)
Machine Weighted Crunch - 2x15 @ 65Kg (143lbs)
Upright rows/High pulls - 15 @ 36Kg (79lbs)

I was disappointed with bench since it is still off my 15RM yet I could only manage 14. Tried to go to 8 reps on the 3rd set yet failed on the 7th. V-Squats depth could have been lower too.

HST - 15s, 5th WO. BW @ 73.2Kg (161.4lbs). Routine:

Deadlift - 15, 10, 5 @ 105Kg (232lbs)
Dips - 2x15 @ BW
Chinup - 15, 10, 5 @ BW
Weighted Machine Crunch - 2x15 @ 70Kg (154lbs)
Skipped OHP again
sad.gif

For dips and chins I had planned to use less then BW but ended up using BW for both. It is interesting that although my 5RM in Chin is higher then in Dips, it was easier to do BW dips then chins for 15 reps. Sure I did a bunch of deadlifts first so that's probably the culprit.
I am feeling too beat, had to skip OHPs again. Maybe the volume is too high? Monday is the last day of the 15s so on Wednesday I should have a break with lighter weights and 10 reps.

<div>
(electric @ Jan. 23 2009,10:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am feeling too beat, had to skip OHPs again. Maybe the volume is too high?</div>
After deads, chins, and dips, you're supposed to be beat. Maybe you need a bit of &quot;choccy&quot; or some such about halfway through your workout to give you a little energy boost so you can finish up...

A single set of 15s for deads, if it's anywhere near your 15RM, will leave you feeling pretty darn tired; your CNS and energy pathways will have been hit pretty hard. I reckon that taking on board some carbs (and protein) during training might help you feel a bit better towards the end of your workout. The 15s are more glycogen depleting than the lower rep phases (as you know) so the extra carbs should give you a bit of a boost, as TR said.

These days, I'm tending to use fruit juice and whey, mixed with some water; I have some after each set.

Thanks for the tips TR and Lol. Actually I used to have a carb+pro drink during workouts but lately I have only been having water. I guess the body is missing it.

4th HST cycle - 6th and last day of the 15s (finally). BW @ 73.9Kg (162.9lbs). Routine:

Flat BB Bench - 12, 8, 9 @ 71Kg (157lbs) - weak
V-Squat Machine - 2x15 @ 120Kg (265lbs)
Pendlay's - 15, 10, 5 @ 71Kg (157lbs)
Weighted Machine Crunch - 2x15 @ 75Kg (165lbs)
Skipped Upright rows.

Bench was pathetic. Not only I was far from the 15 reps but I had a spotter help me with the last 2 or 3 reps of every set. Although I have a confession to make: this &quot;15RM&quot; was calculated from my previous 5RM and not actually tested.

4th HST cycle, 7th day, 1st day of the 10s. BW @ 74.2Kg (163.6lbs). Routine:

Deadlift - 3x10 @ 91Kg (201lbs)
Dips - 3x10 @ BW-10Kg (22lbs) - Total ~64Kg (141lbs)
Chins - 3x10 @ BW-10Kg (22lbs) - Total ~64Kg (141lbs)
Strict OHP - 2x10 @ 35Kg (77lbs)
Machine Weighted Crunch - 3x10 @ 60Kg (132lbs)

Nice work, electric. Looks like you're pushing through the challenges nicely. Keep it going!

<div>
(_tim @ Jan. 28 2009,11:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Nice work, electric.  Looks like you're pushing through the challenges nicely.  Keep it going!</div>
Thanks tim. I am trying to be as strict as possible with this HST cycle although I have to admit I'd ratter be pushing PRs in the 5 rep territory. My weak link at the moment is nutrition: it is pretty hard for me to track stuff (even using FitDay) and knowing what my actual maintenance calories are. And I am bulking... imagine when I start a cut.

That's likely one of the hardest challenges we all face, my friend. Keeping track of everything you eat isn't exactly a convenient thing to do - and accurately calculating calories in isn't always a simple task unless you weigh everything you eat. I struggle with that too - so much so that I am strict with my supplementing, but not really anything else. When I want size, I eat more meals. When I want to cut a bit, I cardio up and eat less. I would say that once you get a feel for what it feels like to eat maintenance - the system I mentioned above kinda works. It DOES NOT work for those who want to compete - but if you're a regular dude who just wants to make the most of his time in the gym - it works.

Be well, electric. Good luck with the addiction that is the training life.

Thanks again Tim.

4th HST cycle 8th day (2nd day of the 10s). BW @ 73.3Kg (161.6lbs). That's 2 pounds down from Wednesday
sad.gif
. My weight fluctuates insanely. Routine:

Flat BB Bench - 10, 10, 9, 2 @ 65Kg (143lbs)
V-Squat - 3x10 @ 110Kg (243lbs)
Pendlay's - 3x10 @ 65Kg (143lbs)
Weighted Machine Crunch - 3x10 @ 65Kg (143lbs)
Upright Rows - 2x10 @ 36Kg (79lbs)

Failed the last rep of the 3rd set of bench so did a 4th set with two paused reps. This is a bad omen for the 10s since this is only the 2nd day and I am already failing on bench.

<div>
(electric @ Jan. 28 2009,12:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My weak link at the moment is nutrition: it is pretty hard for me to track stuff (even using FitDay) and knowing what my actual maintenance calories are.</div>
But nutrition is a key item. All your workouts can go to nothing if you aren't getting enough nourishment to build muscle. On the other hand, if you are eating too much, you'll add lots of extra fat along with any new muscle.

Tracking your food intake is not all that hard. Get yourself a scale and some measuring cups and spoons. It takes a bit of time at the first as you learn to weigh and measure your portions. However, after only a week or so, you pretty much know what you're doing.

Then you'll find it is not at all difficult to keep track of protein, carbs, and fat, right down to the last gram!

TR, you are absolutely right. It is important (probably the most important part) to have your diet in check to gain lbm or lose fat while maintaining muscle. It gets a little complicated when you have lunch everyday out and have dinner out sometimes too. &quot;What's in that sauce, is there sugar, cheese, wine?&quot; &quot;How much does that steak weight?&quot;... And also the maintenance calories are other wildcard. My weight fluctuates a lot, even if I keep calories somewhat constant. Different formulas give me pretty different values for maintenance calories. But in any case, I don't think I am doing that bad... it is just a lot of effort managing all these variables. &lt;/rant&gt;

4th HST cycle 9th day, 3rd day of the 10s. BW @ 74.1Kg (163.4lbs) BF between 13-14%. Routine:

Deadlift - 3x10 @ 105Kg (232lbs)
Dips - 3x10 @ BW
Chinups - 3x10 @ BW
Weighted Machine Crunch - 3x10 @ 70Kg (154lbs)
OHP - 2x10 @ 39Kg (86lbs) - strict

Back