First Time HST-er (Need some help)

you can do abs HST no problem but most people dont want bigger abs..even though its muscle if they stick out under your shirt it looks like fat.

Ah. I'm not quite sure what abs are supposed to feel like, but judging from what I have now when i feel my stomach, my abs decend- aren't abs supposed to be "flat?" Trying to make them flat is one reason I'm wondering if I should use HST methods or 8-12 reps throughout the cycle to have "normal" abs.

you will get a good workout for your abs doing big compound exercises like squats.
just do some crunches front and side after your weights.
try doing some front and side planks before your workout this will stabalise the core muscles and help tp prevent injury from squats and heavy compounds.
biggrin.gif

ahh okay sounds great. I guess I'm set to work out in a few days. Are all 9 days really needed or could i just SD for a week? Friday, 7/28, would be my starting day for this cycle if those last two days arent necessary. What do you guys think? I'm really excited to start this if those last two days aren't really needed.
biggrin.gif

ACmana

To get the abdominal section flat one normally diets down, 500 or so calories below maintenance, butseeing that you are starting off, first get things going and after two solid months you can make that decision.

Many of us feel that traing youre abs HST style may get you hypertrophy on the wrong area (turtle abs - often seen in the big body builders), thus we work them abs but not with weight or if at all then not much, just to get a nicely tucked stomach.

It is very important though to get your core muscles worked and...we have given you some examples...that brings about balance you will rely on for squats and deadlifts so that your back does not hurt!

9 days as faz pointed out is bacause of yourt training frequency mostly MWF, do you stop Friday and re-start the next monday, you're nearly there!
cool.gif

Ah okay thanks guys. I'll just wait those two more days then. How long should I do the front and side planks for?
I did static stretching post workout when I was doing Bill Starr's 5x5 (I heard it helps in growth, and with that program, I would try anything that would help me grow). I read the stretching in the Pimp My HST pdf file. Can you guys recommend any particular one of them? Or should I incoporate them at different times throughout my cycle (if so, which ones should I do for which weeks)?

Okay, thanks. How would you guys suggest I incriment my incline db curls since i can only do the db + 20lbs in each hand? I think I saw advice on this last night, but it was 1:00 and i was tired (from what? I'm not even sure since im pretty much sedentary here) so I forgot where and what it was.

Looks like I found what I was looking for.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> Quoting bryan - &quot;Is there something magical about using 5-10 pound weight increments each workout? No. The idea is that the weight must steadily increase over time, or no further growth will occur. Go ahead and use the same weight twice, it's no big deal. If your starting weights are too small, use fewer increments and start with more weight.

The smaller the muscle group, the smaller the increment. It's all relative. Using percentages of your max for each exercise will manifest the relative nature of increments. For example, if you decide to use 5% increase in weight each workout. For curls I would increase the weight 5lbs if my max was 100lbs. However, for squats a 5% increase would dictate that I increase the weight 15lbs if my max was 300lbs. So its relative to your max, which in turn reflects the the size of the muscle group.

To simplify things, I just use 5-10lbs (~2.25-4.5kgs) for upper body, and 10-20lbs (~4.5-9kgs) for legs.

Larger increments will tend to cause greater microtrauma, and by extension hypertrophy. Lower increments will be more conducive towards strength increases (and not so much hypertrophy). The reason is that you want the workout to be traumatic to the muscle tissue each and every workout. Therefore, the weight load has to exceed the muscles ability to structurally adapt from workout to workout. If the increments are too small, the workout won’t really be that much different from the previous workout, and as a result, will not cause much trauma to the tissue. </div>

If this is true (and I'm assuming it is), wouldn't I be better off using bb curls instead of incline db curls since I would have much larger and frequent increments with the BB curls?

Also, since I'm now going to start off with 10's instead of 15's, how look should I spend on each mini-cycle? Judging from other posts, I should extend the post 5's, but I don't have anyone to help me do those negatives. How should do the post 5's?

My routine is:
Squat + Shrug / Deadlift (It was a typo in my earlier post when I put &quot;Squat / Deadlift + Shrug&quot;)
Incline Bench Press
Bent Over BB Rows
Military Press
Dips (No weight in the 10's then progressively add weights in the 5's)
Incline Curls (might do BB curls since im not sure about the incrementing and based on what Bryan said about the larger increments)
Calve Raises
Abs

I'll be doing 2x10 for two weeks, then 3x5 for two or four weeks (based on your advice), then post 5's (What should I do on post 5's?).

And one final question (if you were thinking that I ask too many questions, I agree with you, but I just want everything to be perfect to see as great results as I've seen everyone else achieving), the main article on HST (the one with the &quot;vanilla&quot; workout) says that a person should always warm up. How should I warm up? With 5x5, the weight was ramped up to the working sets without interfering with my ability to lift the working set. Is this how I should warm up with HST?

Incline curls just have a better stretch but you'll be fine with BB curls.

Post 5's - keep going with 5RM for another week at least then increase as much as possible, that will not be much but eevn 5% is fine as you'll be dabling in 4 or even 3 RM once you start increasing.

Try to keep to 3 sets, if too much drop to two sets or even one but that is rather little.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Squat / Deadlift + Shrug</div>

This sounds right as the shrug is done on top of the deadlift movement when the bar is up, I hope you are alternating these two, most guys feel that Deads once p/week is just fine.

Warmup - on the lighter weights just use 1/2 the weight for the same movement, and a few reps, but for the heavier loads ramp up a little not like 5 x 5 though, read the FAQ e-book there are some tips there.

oh, when I said &quot;+ shrug&quot; I meant that it would added as a completely different exercise since squats dont really hit traps.
With the post 5's, I should just do as much with 5 reps as I can?

Rather use the shrug on the deadlift saves time and will work very well considering the load used for deads.
laugh.gif

Like I said, extend you 5RM for at least one week then start adding whatever you can, say your 4 3 or even 2 RM and try to get 5 in if not don't go to failure but rather use the cluster technique (do 2 ro 3 reps, stop, then do the rest to complete the 5, get my drift?
rock.gif
)

oh. I'm just trying to incorporate into my routine all the advice everyone has given me.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> Also, you may want to do shrugs on days you are doing squats instead of dead lifts. That way, your traps get hit each time you workout.</div>

In retrospect, it does seem foolish to attempt to use everyone's input, but I'm really lost now because I was really sold on the concept of trying to make the routines hit the same body parts, but I'm sure with all the great advice I've seen you give others and even myself, I'll take your word for it.
blush.gif

Yea, I get your drift, slightly. I understand what to lift, but I still don't understand how long should I be lifting that for. So my cycle's going to be 2 weeks 2x10, 2 weeks 3x5, 1 week 3x5 with 5rm as weight, and 3 weeks clustering with 4, 3 or even 2 rm as weight?

ACmana, yeah that's Will Farrel, do a google search for &quot;have more cowbell&quot; and you can see the video.

I would leave isolations out though, in my experience, there is no loss of size or less gains when only doing compounds. I would rather hit another set of chins than do BB curls.

And regarding the calf raises, if you're doing full olympic squats and deadlifts, I don't think you would need to do anything else. I may be wrong, but I think power or full squat cleans are better for calf development than any isolation, even though one may be able to handle greater loads with an isolation exercise.

The only time I have seen someone with a big deadlift have small calves is someone with high calf muscles. That's genetics and no amount of isolation exercises is going to give someone with high calves big calves.

AC

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">2 weeks 2x10, 2 weeks 3x5, 1 week 3x5 with 5rm as weight, and 3 weeks clustering with 4, 3 or even 2 rm as weight?</div>

You don't want to do 15's (2 weeks of course)?

The rest is perfectly right, you should get one hell of a cycle out of that!

Just remember to eat big 1000 or so calories above maintenance, and play around with frequency once on the big weights, if you joints get sore pplay it down, if feeling too light for you go slight bit higher, go by feel...
cool.gif

Liege, I'll definitely try that next time, but I really don't have anything I can do chins on so the BB curls are a must to hit my bi's I guess. I'm doing the calve raises this cycle because I have amazingly small calves, and before I drop the exercise, I want to tell myself that at least I tried.
blush.gif

Fausto, I dropped the 15's because quite a few people said in other threads that unless your joints were in pain, you should drop the 15's. I'll be sure to do them next cycle though because it's quite unanimous that if the 15's are always skipped, joints will eventually scream in pain. 1000 calories over maintenance???
wow.gif
Isn't 500 the amount you're supposed to eat over maintenance?

Since I'm alternating deadlifts and squats, how should I got about incrementing them? My 10RM for squats is 120 and 165 for deadlifts (they're amazingly low because I was obsessed with benching and I heard that squats stunt growth, which I now know is untrue unless you are squating incorrectly). How should increment these? Should I start at 80 for squats, 125 for deadlift and increment by 20lbs since I'm only doing them every other workout, or should I start at 100 lbs for squats, 145 for deadlifts, and increase by 10lbs each time?
rock.gif

Thanks for all the help and advice guys.

P.S.
&quot;I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.&quot;
Genius, just pure genius. But that damn Jimmy Fallon can't even keep a straight face in any of his skits.

Yeah, the 15's can be dropped, personally I like to use them even if for just one week!

500 - 1000 then, you have to account for all the other activities during the day, they also expend calories, there was a post here of mine with a link to Berardi's e-book (Nutrition board), some good tips there! Again play it safe, if not gaining top up if gaining too much eat a little less.

Squats stunt growth?
laugh.gif
How old are you? Gym geeks hey? Free shitty advice
laugh.gif

Man...use 10% for your leg increments you can't go wrong that way! 5% for other smaller exercises!

What do you mean by add 10%? Since my 10RM is 120 for squats, and I don't have microplates, should each of my increments be 10? That would mean i should start at 100lbs, because I'm only doing squats 3 times for that minicycle since im alternating it with deadlifts. And since I'm only doing deadlifts three times, based on your advice, I should start at 135 and increase 15lbs each time I do them, right?

So it would look like this for the 10 rep mini cycle:
Workout #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6
Squat - 100, No Squats, 110, No Squats, 120, No Squats
Deadlift - No Deadlift, 135, No Deadlift, 150, No Deadlift, 165

Is that what you're saying?

And yes, it was really stupid advice but I was just starting to workout so I didn't really know much. I'm glad I did a little research for myself though.

Thanks for all the help.

Back