First Time HST-er (Need some help)

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What do you mean by add 10%? Since my 10RM is 120 for squats, and I don't have microplates, should each of my increments be 10?</div>

Ok, in this case yes, it is close enough anyway! By using 10% increments you can then judge by rounding off how close you are to it, erring towards the slightly bigger side!

Deadlift too is fine. Hey...you're getting there!
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">And yes, it was really stupid advice but I was just starting to workout so I didn't really know much.</div>

Aren't you glad you dealing with science based training and info?
biggrin.gif

I'm still confused (I work better with visuals, I guess). Is it supposed to look like the example 10 rep mini cycle in my previous post?

And yes, I am VERY glad that I'm now dealing with science-based info, and hey, even if there was no science behind it, you can't argue with results.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Is it supposed to look like the example 10 rep mini cycle in my previous post?</div>

YES!

ouch. okay okay, I understand how you feel. I'd be annoyed if someone asked this many questions too, but thank you so much for enduring my stupidity and answering all my questions.
blush.gif

I guess all that's left now is to decide between HIIT or tabata. You wouldn't happen to have any advice on this issue, would you?

AC...

I am not trying to be forceful, sorry, shouldn't have put that in caps.

Yeah, Tabata as far as I am concerned is the best. It is a 4 minute session of 8 bouts, 20 seconds high as you can speed followed by 10 seconds very slow, for 4 minutes straight, I prefer the stat bike but guys use all kinds of things, running, squatting (ouch
biggrin.gif
), punching bag, skipping rope, anything at all.

There ya go!
biggrin.gif

i would mix the cardio up tabata,hiit,slow steady,they all have benefits and it will stop you getting bored.

Fausto, I didn't know you could use &quot;regular&quot; cardio, such as running or jumping rope, for tabata. I was looking through older threads for info about it and once again, it was a thread that you started and a link that you provided that provided me a better understanding of another aspect of staying physically healthy. I thought the unique thing about tabata was that you could only do it with weights. Isn't it just HIIT with smaller cycles if a person does &quot;regular&quot; cardio when using tabata intervals?
rock.gif

Faz, yea, I get what you mean about switching up cardio. After a few weeks on HIIT, I felt reluctantly lazy to go outside and do it.
blush.gif

Thanks again guys.
laugh.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Isn't it just HIIT with smaller cycles if a person does &quot;regular&quot; cardio when using tabata intervals?</div>

Not according to Dr. Tabata it is not, funny his study was done ona regular stationary bikes, and the fast part was done something like 90 cycles p/min, bloody fast. Interesting enough it kept burning fat for up to 9 times greater amounts than regular cardio, the normal cardio though had an immmediate fat burning effect.

This is why I think it is more efficient:

1 - It swtiches on fat burning throughout the day.
2 - Burns 9 fold compared to normal cardio.
3 - It is painful but it is quickly over.

What more could a lazy man ask for?
laugh.gif

I've got questions, Fausto's got answers.

mmm... even shorter than HIIT I see, and I thought HIIT was short enough at 13 mins with my 4min warmup, 5min intervals composed of 45 second jogs then 15 second maximum sprints (cardiovascularly unfit as you can see) then 4min cooldown. Everything I've read and my own experience says that HIIT seems quite similar to Tabata- keeps burning fat throughout the day, burns a ton more than regular cardio, and is quite painful (though I've never actually puked, the majority of people who describe their HIIT experience seem to have).

If I'm using running as my exercise for tabata, how should I go about doing it? Should I run a warmup like in HIIT or should I just go out there, stretch a little and then do it? Am I supposed to jog or completely rest for each of the 20 seconds when I'm not sprinting? Finally, would Tabata on off days be okay on HST or would it hinder hypertrophy (no research leads me to say that it would hinder hypertrophy but I guess anything's possible)?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've got questions, Fausto's got answers.</div>

Not so mate, just opinions, and could be contarcdicted at any time, remember I did not play myself as an expert, Bryan deciede I am, and therefore the title, can't say I am not happy or otherwise, but see it more as a responsibility to guide others (notice my signature, that is motto in life as well
wink.gif
)

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If I'm using running as my exercise for tabata, how should I go about doing it? Should I run a warmup like in HIIT or should I just go out there, stretch a little and then do it?</div>

Warmup is just what it says it is...I find necessary as it avoids injury.
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Am I supposed to jog or completely rest for each of the 20 seconds when I'm not sprinting?</div>

Jog, what you will have to do is run with a stop watch, but the rest is as written, sprint, jog, sprint, jog.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Finally, would Tabata on off days be okay on HST or would it hinder hypertrophy (no research leads me to say that it would hinder hypertrophy but I guess anything's possible)? </div>

Perfect, no hynderance...I think the guys who worry about catabolism, because of not eating while you're sleeping, or because you doing cardio, or this or that...are just nuts
laugh.gif
, one has to really exagerate to get that catabolic to loose so much muscle that is starts becoming visible. Those guys, are just doomsayer IMHO.
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Everything I've read and my own experience says that HIIT seems quite similar to Tabata</div>

And it is, except a little longer, but according to Dr. Tabata, because they are short bursts, the intensity can be higher, thus improving your VO2 max (capacity to absorb O2).

as fausto said its basicly a lazy mans hiit
biggrin.gif
it has the same effect in less time
cool.gif

some guys hate cardio so it is
cool.gif
for them to do tabata.
i dont mind cardio i do 30mins hiit
slow steady 40mins
then some days i will do
slow steady 20mins+4mins tabata
biggrin.gif

i do all these on
rebock step
punchbag
treadmill
crosstrainer
stepper
skipping

Oops, sorry, I meant to say 10 seconds when I'm not sprinting. If I'm running, I'm still supposed to do 20 second sprints followed by 10 second jogs, right?

Lazy man's HIIT? Dang, I looked it at Tabata as even more intense than HIIT because the sprints last longer and the jogging periods are shorter (3:1 rest:sprint on HIIT but 1:2 rest:sprint on Tabata, that's probably exponentially more difficult). And I didn't even see that Fausto said that it was for lazy people, but this sure seems designed for more determined people than lazy people- I mean c'mon, you have to go out and put yourself through 4 mins of hell each time you do perform Tabata? That's not something every person is willing to do, but a lot of people sure are willing to run for 20-40 mins at a &quot;mild&quot; pace. In conclusion, just because Tabata doesn't take as long (what an understatement) doesn't mean it's any less demanding (in my eyes, it's even more demanding) than other forms of cardio. And yes, I'm no expert either, but that's just my opinion.
laugh.gif

<div>
(ACMana @ Aug. 03 2006,17:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Oops, sorry, I meant to say 10 seconds when I'm not sprinting. If I'm running, I'm still supposed to do 20 second sprints followed by 10 second jogs, right?

Lazy man's HIIT? Dang, I looked it at Tabata as even more intense than HIIT because the sprints last longer and the jogging periods are shorter (3:1 rest:sprint on HIIT but 1:2 rest:sprint on Tabata, that's probably exponentially more difficult). And I didn't even see that Fausto said that it was for lazy people, but this sure seems designed for more determined people than lazy people- I mean c'mon, you have to go out and put yourself through 4 mins of hell each time you do perform Tabata? That's not something every person is willing to do, but a lot of people sure are willing to run for 20-40 mins at a &quot;mild&quot; pace. In conclusion, just because Tabata doesn't take as long (what an understatement) doesn't mean it's any less demanding (in my eyes, it's even more demanding) than other forms of cardio. And yes, I'm no expert either, but that's just my opinion.  
laugh.gif
</div>
you are correct..but most people who lift weights dont like spending 30mins or more doing cardio.
tabata is more intense so it is harder but it only takes 4mins which is why we call it lazy mans cardio.
i find that hiit for 30mins is more demanding than tabata
slow steady is easier but boring,
but i do the 3 of them because they all have there plus points
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

One goes through hell to loose some fat, hey?
laugh.gif

No...Tabata ain't easy but it is quickly over the plus there is that it makes me fitter faster!
wink.gif

Back