Fixing HST Board

Yea, an "HST Lounge". Some other boards have an off-topic section for just general chit-chat......a great idea think as well.

O

(PS, wow, I can edit now too....it must be Christmas early
biggrin.gif
)

Yeah, this is the one and only board!

Full of cool and knowledgeable people (well...there are always a few misshaps along the way
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
)

Go for it JV, our brand new admin.

I tried to reach this forum the other day and I noticed that it was down. I have to say that even the worst case scenario crossed my mind, but I said "let's be optimistic here, I 'm sure that some maintenance work is going on". And for sure I 'm glad to find out that this is exactly what had happened.
biggrin.gif

I too thought that maybe we could meet over at Dan's forum if this didn't work out, but now that JV is the captain of our ship, I 'm sure everything will be fine.
laugh.gif

A great "thank you" to JV for volunteering to fix the board. His efforts are greatly appreciated, although he does know that already.
cool.gif

Happy lifting,
Dimitris

Let's beware of starting a thank you thread, lest we get to be called sissies all over again
laugh.gif

Great work JV, nail the little bugs, you muscled up nerd
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I like O&G's idea. Also, JV, as it strikes panic in the hearts of so many of us here, how about putting up a "Board down for maintenance" page instead of a 404 error page (or whatever it was) when you have to pull the forum for a while? It might mean that others who visit less frequently do return rather than think it's gone for good.

All the best.  
cool.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">...as it strikes panic in the hearts of so many of us here...</div>
Hehe, good one, I couldn't describe it better.
laugh.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Also, JV, as it strikes panic in the hearts of so many of us here, how about putting up a &quot;Board down for maintenance&quot; page instead of a 404 error page (or whatever it was) when you have to pull the forum for a while? It might mean that others who visit less frequently do return rather than think it's gone for good.</div>

Yup, that's what I meant when I said I'll leave a note if the board does have to be pulled. I'll be sure to state clearly that the board's down only for maintenance work, and that they should check back in a day or two.

Hopefully, though, we won't have any downtime again. I'm just working on the board while it's &quot;live&quot;. Not recommended for mission-critical systems, but that's ok for the board. This might result in some funky behavior, which is why I'm asking people to report new funky behavior here, so I can address them or, if it's the case, assure you it's just a one-time thing. I really need feedback in case you encounter some funky behavior, because that would help me figure out what some ugly lines of code actually do (since the developers weren't nice enough to leave useful comments).

Ok, I'm going back to studying the board again.

Regards to everyone, and I hope I didn't cause any of you cardiac arrest when the board was gone without a trace for a few days.

-JV

I shut off the board for a few minutes to try something. I started a thread (which I promptly deleted afterwards) to see if the server error still persists. It does
sad.gif

The good news is some of the minor stuff gets fixed by and by. Aside from the ability to now edit your own posts consistently, I've duplicated some post icons, so now you shouldn't see some failed image loading beside old threads that got posted before the upgrade to ikonboard 3.1.3 (I think this happened march 2006). Also, HST experts should now have their teamicon restored. It's ugly, but that's the default one that ships with ikonboard. Heck, even the stars of members got replaced with blue squares, which is really lame.

I'm using Win-doze XP right now so I can't edit the images yet, but when I switch back to Fedora, I'll edit those lame images and team icons with the GIMP.

Regards, and sorry for any future inconveniences that you may experience as a result of the board being debugged.

-JV

JV, If you want any help in knocking up some images for the board let me know. I'm in graphics (I practically live in Photoshop) and although I'm pretty busy right now, I would be glad to help out if I can fit it in.

Cheers,

Lol
cool.gif

it's great that your fixing up the board. I just thought i'd mention that when i try to download the FAQ's from the FAQ section, it doesn't work, and i receive an error message as it tries to load the file.

Thanks for letting me know jon, I'd never have thought of checking that out. I'll go have a look-see right now. I can't stress enough how important it is that you guys tell me about funky behaviors or errors you encounter. Otherwise, I might never even know they exist. So thanks for giving me the heads up about that.

-JV

Yup, the server error is still there. I'm starting to think it's on the hosting company's settings. Hopefully not. Anyway, I still have a lot to test.

As for the FAQ PDF download, I tried and it worked perfectly. Dan (or Daxie, I don't know which of them put it up) got it uploaded at a different site (users.telenet.be), so if it suddenly conks out at times, there's nothing we can do. Try downloading it now, jon and tell me if you can get it now.

If anybody else gets the error jonsmith mentioned, let me know. If it really becomes a pain to download it, I'll see if I can upload it to our own server so we can be sure it's online all the time (or if does show an error, at least I can do something about it).

Regards,
-JV

<div>
(jvroig @ Jul. 19 2006,03:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yup, the server error is still there. I'm starting to think it's on the hosting company's settings. Hopefully not. Anyway, I still have a lot to test.

As for the FAQ PDF download, I tried and it worked perfectly. Dan (or Daxie, I don't know which of them put it up) got it uploaded at a different site (users.telenet.be), so if it suddenly conks out at times, there's nothing we can do. Try downloading it now, jon and tell me if you can get it now.

If anybody else gets the error jonsmith mentioned, let me know. If it really becomes a pain to download it, I'll see if I can upload it to our own server so we can be sure it's online all the time (or if does show an error, at least I can do something about it).

Regards,
-JV</div>
The Faq PDF was uploaded by Daxie all I did was put it in the Forum FAQ.

JV you can put it on Bryan's server space or if he is nearing max, let me know and I'll put it on mine.

Also while your editing, see if Bryan will let you edit the HTML and at least put up an index page on the store tab saying it's closed instead of error 404, or remove the store tab. Just a thought. I know it's more work but that HTML edit should take only a minute or two.

Yes, if you still see the blue squares, just hold down the shift key while you click on &quot;Refresh&quot; or &quot;Reload&quot; on your browser to avoid using the stuff cached in your browser.

About the off-topic forum...

During my latest online meeting with Bryan, I was able to sidetrack the topic of &quot;fixin' the board&quot; stuff and asked him if he's ok with the off-topic &quot;HST Lounge&quot; forum. He says he is still holding off on that, because he doesn't want the board to be like most other BB boards where there is so much vulgarity. He is concerned that making an off-topic forum would result in that kind of degeneration, and you know, that would be a shame since we are probably one of the very very rare boards where everything is so clean and everybody is respectful virtually without mod control.

-JV

Back