Flexibility of Intermittent Fasting

personally, i think too many folks equate "fasting" with starvation or close to it. even the study dan cited included a 40hr fast (with not much diff. seen from typical diet) where-as most workable day to day plans involve btw. 15-24hr fast.....pretty big time diff.

there is a big differance between being truely hungry (including catabolism of muscle on a real level) and just "ready for supper". most of us have very little exper. with the former unless hard core dieting or third world living........

This sounds pretty interesting to me. What is the best source to read about IF on the Internet? Lyle's site?

Dan, you have been writing a book? I am definitely interested, but will most of us be able to read and understand it?
cool.gif

<div>
(Bulldog @ Jan. 26 2008,15:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This sounds pretty interesting to me. What is the best source to read about IF on the Internet? Lyle's site?</div>
For now. Or you can check out Martin's site.

Some day, someone is going to compile all the information into one spot.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jan. 26 2008,17:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dan, you have been writing a book?  I am definitely interested, but will most of us be able to read and understand it?
cool.gif
</div>
Without falling asleep?
biggrin.gif

Honestly that's the problem I'm having, I am trying to not be so technical and lean more on the practical side but then again, like MS, the practical side can be summed up in one or two sentences.

I have been researching starvation and fasting for years now and am about 80% complete with the book and hope to get it released this summer but then again I wanted it released last summer, then by the end of the year, then by the new year and so on. There is going to have to be a point of me saying screw it and go with what I have but there is really a lot involved and I don't want to miss critical aspects.

Here is the rough for the table of contents.

Chapter 1. History of Fasting
a.The primordial ooze
b.Paleo Man
c.The Dark Ages
d.Where’s the Beef
e.You say Potato I say Patato

Chapter 2.              Types of Fast
a.Simply Starving
b.The Morphologically Obsessed
b.The religious zealot
c.On strike
d.In a vain attempt at vanity

Chapter 3. Effects of Fasting
a.Metabolic
b.Immunologic
c.Psychological

Chapter 4.             Benefits of Fasting
a.Weight Loss
b.Fat Mass
c.Partitioning Ratios

5. Detriments of Fasting
a.Weight Loss
b.Lean Mass
c.Partitioning Ratios
d.Hormonal Changes

Chapter 6.           Sustainability
a.How long is too long
b.Controlling hunger
c.Cyclic Fasting
d.Intermittent Fasting

Chapter 7.        Exercise, the Impact on Fasting
a.Running on Empty
b.Lifting for the Masses
c.Work is Work

Chapter 8.                  Breaking the Fast
a.When
b.How
c.Why
d.Avoiding the Bounce

Chapter 9. Designing the Plan
a.Identify the goal
b.Macros/Micros and other essentials
c.How often can you eat
d.How often should you eat
e.Tools of the trade

Chapter 10. Sample fasting Plans
a.For the wedding
b.For the Beach
c.For Maintaining your girlish figure

How about a three page pamphlet in gymmanese? Like, just tell us what to do!
laugh.gif

You KNOW we pay attention when the DanMan speaketh!

<div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 26 2008,18:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How about a three page pamphlet in gymmanese? Like, just tell us what to do!  
laugh.gif
</div>
Nope not this time. Believe it or not I'm actually going to try and turn a buck this time.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jan. 26 2008,17:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Bulldog @ Jan. 26 2008,15:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This sounds pretty interesting to me.  What is the best source to read about IF on the Internet? Lyle's site?</div>
For now.  Or you can check out Martin's site.

Some day, someone is going to compile all the information into one spot.</div>
Who is &quot;Martin&quot;? I don't know who you are referring to. And where would I find his site?

looks like a very interesting book dan.
im curious to see how the plan ive put together to date (recomp and then bulk) compares to your more &quot;scientific' and better researched findings.

any cooperation going on btw you and martin and/or lyle? i know those two, at one time, where planning a book together (about IF) but it appears they are perhaps going their own way with that.

either way, im pretty excited your this far along in a book about the subject.

<div>
(Bulldog @ Jan. 26 2008,19:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Totentanz @ Jan. 26 2008,17:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Bulldog @ Jan. 26 2008,15:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This sounds pretty interesting to me. What is the best source to read about IF on the Internet? Lyle's site?</div>
For now. Or you can check out Martin's site.

Some day, someone is going to compile all the information into one spot.</div>
Who is &quot;Martin&quot;? I don't know who you are referring to. And where would I find his site?</div>
http://www.leangains.com/

He's one of the biggest proponents of IF right now.

There is actually an interesting link in his most recent posting, which leads to a roundtable discussion about BCAAs featuring several names that a lot of us will recognize.

<div>
(bluejacket @ Jan. 26 2008,19:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">any cooperation going on btw you and martin and/or lyle?</div>
No, the only person I've ever cooperated/collaborated directly with is Bryan when we thought about revamping Thinkmuscle and Ron Sowers back in 2005 during &quot;The Basics&quot; articles. I've helped a few people Jaime Hale, Kelly Baggett and a couple more when they wrote their books.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jan. 26 2008,19:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">http://www.leangains.com/

He's one of the biggest proponents of IF right now.

There is actually an interesting link in his most recent posting, which leads to a roundtable discussion about BCAAs featuring several names that a lot of us will recognize.</div>
Thanks Tot!

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Jan. 26 2008,18:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 26 2008,18:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How about a three page pamphlet in gymmanese? Like, just tell us what to do!
laugh.gif
</div>
Nope not this time. Believe it or not I'm actually going to try and turn a buck this time.</div>
Fair enough, but please try to include an &quot;executive summary&quot; in three pages or less that will simply tell us (in small, single-syllable words) what to do...

Er, is it just me - or are we over complicating things a little? There's already a free ebook out on the &quot;fast5&quot; site (google it) that's worth a read.
Or why not just skip breakfast &amp; lunch tomorrow: a 16 hour fast is much easier to &quot;do&quot; than think about doing...

<div>
(the_dark_master @ Jan. 27 2008,09:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Er, is it just me - or are we over complicating things a little? There's already a free ebook out on the &quot;fast5&quot; site (google it) that's worth a read.
Or why not just skip breakfast &amp; lunch tomorrow: a 16 hour fast is much easier to &quot;do&quot; than think about doing...</div>
That's not the point of getting a book. The knowledge is available free on the internet or at your local library. However, to have it laid out like Dan is doing is not only a valuable resource, but an interesting read as well!

<div>
(the_dark_master @ Jan. 27 2008,09:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Er, is it just me - or are we over complicating things a little? There's already a free ebook out on the &quot;fast5&quot; site (google it) that's worth a read.
Or why not just skip breakfast &amp; lunch tomorrow: a 16 hour fast is much easier to &quot;do&quot; than think about doing...</div>
Exactly which is why I said <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">the practical side can be summed up in one or two sentences</div> in previous post.

<div>
I quickly read the Fast-5 E-book this morning, and it did not impress me. Like Dan said, the practicalities of intermittent fasting can be summed up rather quickly. My personal favorite can be found here at Lyle's forum. That answers the questions of what and when, but not why and how.

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Jan. 26 2008,10:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"></div>
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">...I'm saving that for my book (which has been in the process of writing now for 2 years, much akin to the HST Book)
biggrin.gif
</div>

HST book?! Is that thing still around?
rock.gif

Back