Food Log

I

imported_damo

Hi,
I've used fitday for logging food - I dont particularly like it for numerous reasons.
I'm thinking about developing my own shareware application (computer program) for logging food.
Though I would ask here for what features you would like to see?
Let me know.

I think the weak point of most nutrition programs is the nutritional database. I need something that will calculate all the macro and micronutrients. So, it has to already have a database of most foods and their nutritional values built in.

I agree, the database is the key: I would also like to see more brand name items and restaurant foods in the database. I have a small version for my pocketpc called pocketdiet which has a very limited database. It has the ability to add custom foods and custom meals, which is a great feature. That way you can program in meals or foods you normally have and it is easy to log them at a later date.

Got to have % of CHO, pro and fat, as well as macro and micronutrients. If I think of anything else I'll post later.

There already existsa free downloadable copy of the USDA nutrient database.

I don't mean to ruin your business damo, but I'm also building my own application which will be free :D. I'm thinking of something that will allow to search the downloaded copy of the USDA database, make a list of favorite /recently eaten foods, select foods & quantities with a couple of clicks, show graphs (calories, macro- micronutritient consumption & percentages, bodyweight, bodyfat, lean mass etc), store a complete year's log in less than 50KB, etc

However, I'm building it for the sheer fun of it, in pure Assembly, and it may well take some months to complete. Don't hold your breath...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]However, I'm building it for the sheer fun of it, in pure Assembly, and it may well take some months to complete. Don't hold your breath...

Man, are u crazy? Good luck for debugging then... ;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't mean to ruin your business damo, but I'm also building my own application which will be free .

ha! dont worry, not a business idea, just a small project if i ever get time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There already existsa free downloadable copy of the USDA nutrient database.

Thanks! Never knew that!
worship.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm thinking of something that will allow to search the downloaded copy of the USDA database, make a list of favorite /recently eaten foods, select foods & quantities with a couple of clicks, show graphs (calories, macro- micronutritient consumption & percentages, bodyweight, bodyfat, lean mass etc), store a complete year's log in less than 50KB, etc

Mine will store it in less than 30kb :confused:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]However, I'm building it for the sheer fun of it, in pure Assembly, and it may well take some months to complete. Don't hold your breath...

Me too.

Assembly??
butbut.gif

That is insane if you ask me, why don't you use C,C++ or Java?

On a side note, I am also developing a software application that will contain a exercise database and will be able to design HST cycles for you from your input of RM's, increment size, size of each rep blocks, frequency of increment, etc, etc....

I'm using Java, which I'm learning as I program (though language to learn I tell you), and will distribute it for free once it's done. I have no ideia at all when this will be though.

So far things are going well, I'm almost done with 10% of the database part.... :confused:

Asm rocks! :)

When you learn the basics, it's actually easier than C++. More straightforward. Plus, I have already a library of functions from other apps of mine. The most time consuming thing is actually drawing the windows, positioning text and buttons & designing the format of the log file.

No benefits of visual environments... But having a full featured application that takes 20KB is great. And you have all the fun of the full system control :)

I don't really know much about assembly, I've learned C++ and am now learning Java, which to tell you the truth is driving me crazy. Programing is very addictive.

Back