Gamechanger: Gain 30, Pull 500.

Less 10's, more 4's ;)
Not 3 days/week! I should be able to maintain fine using my 10rm, 15rm (recovery), then going for a 5rm each week.

The whole daily workout thing was a failure. My job/ wife and kids (and my groggy mornings) fucked that all up.

I'm doing 3-6RM atm, 3-on, 1-off and loving it.

Food for thought when life gives you some more time and you have a bit of time to bulk :)

Also, you are a lawyer, I am plumber. So my physical workload outside the gym greatly exceeds your own...:p

I may up the loads a bit and do 8s,12s and 4s instead of 10s, 15s and 5s... I just thought I'd try out the classic HST loading schedule for daily undulating load.

Edit: yeah I just recalculated the loads, and although a little more brutal, it looks perfectly doable to do 8s, 12s and 4s. Definitely better for training absolute strength.

Last edited:
Are you putting this down to the increased loads for the 12 and 8's? I can't imagine there's much difference between 5s and 4s? Or am I missing something.

In general, moving daily undulating loads higher up on the spectrum, will be superior for bringing up my absolute strength.

I am officially "Recomping" now. After 11 weeks of cutting I reported my weight losses, now after 3 more weeks of intermittant fasting with occasional "refeed" above maintenance days, I have actually gained some muscle and lost some more fat! (Natural btw)

Original from 11/01/13
Progress Report
11 weeks of cutting
Bodyweight 220 -> 204, lost 16 pounds.

Upper Arm 16.5" -> 16" lost 0.5"
Chest 46 -> 44" lost 2"
Belly 38.5" -> 36" lost 2.5"
Hips 37" -> 36.5" lost 0.5"
Thigh 26.5" -> 25" lost 1.5"
Calf 15.5" -> 15.5" same

New report 3 more weeks...
Progress Report 3 week Recomping
Bodyweight 204->206 lbs

Upper Arm 16" -> 16.125" gained 1/8"
Chest 44"-> 44.5" gained 1/2"
Belly 36"->35.5" lost 1/2"
Hips 36.5"-> 36" lost 1/2"
Thigh 25"-> 25.25" gained 1/4"
Calf 15.5" -> 15.5" same

So in 3 weeks, I lost 1/2" from waist and hips, but gained a small amount in my arms, chest and thighs.... Awesome.

I still have a ways to go with leanness, but I look bigger and better than ever before.

Excellent work, Sci - how do you feel? Are you planning any changes to volume or overall setup given both the gains and losses?

Feeling good. Overworked my back yesterday at work, I think I'm going to start alternating squats and deads. High-frequency deads plus my job are too much.
Other than that, keep what works.

Hit a bunch of PRs today.

DeadLift: 355x1, 315x3, 295x5 ... My back is toasted from work. Normally I can do 355x5
Decline Bench: 240x6 PR!
BB Press: 155x5 PR!
Pulldown: 225x6 PR!
Cable Row: 200x4. Haven't done these in awhile, plus again, back got destroyed at work yesterday.
Leg Extension: 260x5 PR!
Calf Press: 340x5 PR!

I pretty much maxes out the leg extension and calf machine. I may just drop these and just alternate squats and deads for Lowe body... And let my legs grow simply from heavy barbell work.

Very happy with all my PRs. Especially my pressing power. Bench and overhead press are skyrocketing.

Excellent work, Sci - how do you feel? Are you planning any changes to volume or overall setup given both the gains and losses?
Btw, this was completely by accident. I wasn't purposely TRYING to recomp. I have just been militant on this cut about getting enough protein and overall calories that I don't lose any lean mass. Basically I eat a lot for the 24 hours following an intense workout, then I'll fast for awhile, then I'll eat some high-protein diet while keeping a deficit, then repeat. Well, my workouts have been going so good, that i bumped up calories a bit after workouts... Keep hitting PRs. But I have to admit, I was totally shocked by the measurements! I didn't actually expect to gain lean mass and lose fat in a three week period! I am really psyched about it now, especially if I can keep hitting PRs. Of course, my goal is still to keep cutting down to a leaner state, so ultimately I will have to keep overall calories restricted. But as long as I am hitting lifting records and seeing growth in my arms, chest and legs... I may do a sort of recomp in the middle if this cut... This is new territory for me, but it has piqued my interest and I may do some research into Martin Berkhan's Leangains method he has been using for himself and his clients for the past decade or so.

"Light" day

Squat: 180x12 (starting light with squats, focusing on form)
DeadLift: 275x9
Decline Bench: 195x10
BB Press: 125x10
Pulldown: 185x12
1-arm Cable Row: 85x12
1-leg Calf Raise: +40x12

Worked 13 hours of hard labor, then hit the gym and lifted personal records across the board! Damn!!!

My lower back was highly fatigued, so I skipped deads and squats, so as to avoid injury.

Decline Bench: 245x5 PR
BB Press: 160x5 PR (got a few stares on this, I guess my press is finally getting more advanced)
Pulldown: 230x4 PR
1-arm Cable Row: 105x5 PR
Leg Extension: 280x5 PR (the whole stack, maxed out the machine!)
Lying Leg Curl: 160x5 PR
1-leg Calf Raise: +120x5 PR

Feeling. Strong. :)

Still Recomping, though my overall goal is to drop bodyfat. It's tough to be diligent about restricting calories during the holiday season. The Intermittant fasting is a great help. I basically go through periods of feasting, followed by periods of fasting. It's great, because it gives the feeling of pigging out and satisfaction, yet overall calorie intake is still restricted with the offset if the long fasting period. It really fits me well, I'll probably stay on the IF protocol pretty much indefinitely, except when I am bulking I will eat more normal, with breakfast and stuff.

What sort of eating window do you have? How does this work out considering your heavy labor type of work. Energy levels stay up?
I have a short 6 hour eating window most days. I eat a huge amount in a short time, I fast from about 10 pm to 4 pm, and eat between 4 and 10. I have such a huge stomach, that I can eat a large amount in that window, and I could probably even bulk, which is probably how I gained muscle recently in accident! It works well for me. I am totally adapted to working long hours fasted , so it's not a problem for me. On Wednesday, I worked 13 hours, totally fasted, and my energy was fine. My body burns fat as an energy source quite efficiently. It seems to be the reason I was able to gain muscle and lose fat recently. I give credit to IF, and of course HST training principles.

Lately, I am erring on the side of "pigging out", just because I look fricking huge and I am setting lifting records in the gym consistently... So I am going with it. A sort of "mini-bulk" in the middle of a cut.

Light day

Squat: 200x12
*DeadLift: 275x8
Decline Bench: 195x10
BB Press: 125x8
Pulldown: 185x12
1-arm Cable Row: 90x12
1-leg Calf Raise: +60x12

decided to go extra heavy today.

1-arm Cable Row: 120x5 PR 120x5, 100x5,5,5

DeadLift: 315x5, 355x2, 365x1 (still climbing back up with conventional Deadlift, hopefully get back above 400 soon)

Decline Bench: 250x3, 265x1, (could have probably got 275, but decided to wait another day) 245x3, 225x5, 185x10

Volume Day
3x8

1-arm Cable Row: 105
DeadLift: 275
Decline Bench: 205
UH Pulldown: 200
Press: 135
Leg Extension: 240
1-Leg Calf Raise: +80

Back