Getting lean without losing beef

Sunday June 29th

Weight in morning: 169.2

Waist: <30.5

I think I might need another refeed day. muscles are looking flat and stringy. I want to do some damage tomorrow at the gym.

Caloric Intake: At freely today, ~3200 calories, rested

being, you seem to be doing great with your diet/routine. Congrats! Did you measure body fat during this cycle just out of curiosity?

Monday June 30th

Weight In Morning: 170.8 (hydration level on my scale was very high for a morning, lots of fluid in the middle of the night...significant as I compare morning to morning for 'weight checks')

Waist: still under 30.5

Calories: 3500

Routine 1 AM: Incline Bench (DB) 3X5 (70 lb DBs)
Weighted Dip 3X5 (35 lbs)
Flat Bench 1X5 (70 lb DBs)

Weighted Chin 2X5 (25 lbs)
Bent/Yates Row 3X5 (110lbs)

Leg press 2x5 (360lbs)
Seated Calf 3X5(160lbs)

Hammer Curls 3X5 (35 lb DBs)
Narrow Grip Bench 2X5 (80lbs) took some weight off here, as I realized my form had been going to ****.

DB Shoul. Press 3X5 (50 lb DBs)
Shrug Cage Pyramid up to 2X8 @ 110

Crunch Machine 1X5 (190lbs)

Routine 2 PM:
Flat Bench (DB) 3X5 (70 lb DBs)
Weighted Dip 3X5 (35 lbs)

Cable Rows 3X5 (135 lbs)
Bent/Yates Row 2X5 (110lbs)

Seated Calf 2X5(160lbs)

Barbell Curl 20 reps M=12ish (40bs)
Narrow Grip Bench 2X5 (80lbs)

DB Shoul. Press 1X5 (50 lb DBs)

Crunch Machine 2X5 (185lbs)

I felt a little crappy on certain things today, and phenomenal on others.

One of the annoying things about my gym is the only two 2.5 lb plates vanish every week, so I end up jumping weights to fast (10lb leap instead of 5, for example), and then a week later get furious with my form and scale back.

So I'm stepping back with the close grip bench, -10 lbs, and I felt much better form wise. Also crunches were sucky today, dunno why. To be honest I slept about 3 hours last night, that usually does it.

I'm getting neurotic about my BB rows...so many in betweens and extremes of form/posture

<div>
(electric @ Jun. 30 2008,10:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">being, you seem to be doing great with your diet/routine. Congrats! Did you measure body fat during this cycle just out of curiosity?</div>
thanks for the support electric!

No I didn't take BF measurements, as I despair of using calipers properly.

I've gained strength consistently and though that doesn't mean much per se, it makes me optimistic that I haven't lost beef.

I do feel I have been losing weight a bit too fast, I'm going to correct that this week hopefully
smile.gif
(i think its averaging a hair over 2 lbs per week, which is kind of fast for where I'm at. back when I started in January I was 215 lbs and 2lbs a week was nothing!)

Keep in mind that just because the scale says something, then it doesn't necessarily mean your weight is at that point.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 01 2008,8:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Keep in mind that just because the scale says something, then it doesn't necessarily mean your weight is at that point.</div>
very true! but if you look at morning weights, usually same level of dehydration, temp in apartment, and weekly dietary habits, there seems to be a general trend...

but you are right...who knows? ha!

on tuesdays, for example, I always wake up very heavy. But monday night I eat alot of chinese food/sushi typically (no idea why)...

then the weight is a solid land slide all week from there, even after heavy refeeds (I guess the easter cuisine bloats the hell out of me)

<div>
(HstRiggins @ Jul. 01 2008,9:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">good work, you're showing excellent results.
On the low cal diet days are you avoiding carbs all together?</div>
thanks dude!

Low cal days, macros generally come down to:

200-250 grams protein (shakes, cottage cheese, grilled chicken,turkey,egg whites, canned tuna)
30-65 grams carbs (all trace + low GI veggies, occasional apple if I want to ramp up the cardio)
trace fats only + fish oils

its like a PSMF alla lyle mcdonald I guess

if I end up in a situation with buddies and I need to have a beer (like today!), I'll do a little extra cardio and knock out a few carbs from the 'regular' diet

Tuesday July 2

Weight in morning: 173.4 lbs (always 'fatter' after mon night chinese!)

Waist: lets call it 30.3 inches

Calories: ~1500

Routine: 60 min SS cardio + 5 min cooldown (incline treadmill)
average HR 148

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">200-250 grams protein (shakes, cottage cheese, grilled chicken,turkey,egg whites, canned tuna)
30-65 grams carbs (all trace + low GI veggies, occasional apple if I want to ramp up the cardio)
trace fats only + fish oils</div>

You have a solid diet. My thing is, I cannot count out the carbs. My mind and body needs them. I have managed to reduce my intake to a more isocaloric diet such as Barry Sears recommends in the Zone. Kudos to you with your will power.

Here are some #'s from my diet in the past 2 weeks...

WO days: +230
Off days: -280

It averages out to about -170 or so per day, so overall I am still cutting albeit slowly. It's a neat experiment, but I don't see any changes in weight or body fat percentage. I do feel much leaner though!

I really don't think my road to 10% will get better unless I can manage to find time to add cardio in the mix!

Sorry for hacking your log, I'll add this entry into mine!

<div>
(HstRiggins @ Jul. 02 2008,1:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey beings what does trace fats and trace carbs mean?</div>
Found in small amounts like some ketchup on a burger, tablespoon of soy sauce on veggies, or a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 02 2008,2:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(HstRiggins @ Jul. 02 2008,1:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey beings what does trace fats and trace carbs mean?</div>
Found in small amounts like some ketchup on a burger, tablespoon of soy sauce on veggies, or a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.</div>
yup. basically whatever tags along and I can't absolutely avoid.

its not a hijack colby, its support, believe me the comradery keeps me in check more than once in a while! And to answer your question I'm 28, been working out 'on the serious' since January, started as a 215 lb slob! woohoo

As far as carbs go...its hard, but the biggest diet breaker food I have is the high GI carb. A little sweet here or there, two much pasta in one meal, and bam I can't stop dreaming about more and more food.

I suspect I'm hyperinsulinemic/functional hypoglycemic. So I tend to feel absolute best, energetic and full on the zone proportions, a little weak on the low carb, and out of my MIND with hunger on the traditional 65/25/10

The interesting thing for me is to discover, if I truly do over secrete insulin and blah blah blah, will my soon to come bulking be hampered by using zone proportions?

On the other hand if I bulk with the traditional low fat diet, will I put on a higher proportion of fat than normal given equivalent caloric intake, because of wild insulin?

This is the stuff that drives me nuts, and unfortunately, I think its going to have to be a matter of experimentation.

On refeed days this week I've been trying to go for 65/25/10, to see what happens, instead of the &quot;ideal for me&quot; 40/30/30

Weds July 2

weight in morning: 170

Waist: 30.3ish still

Calories: ~3200

Routine: AM

*Incline Bench (DB) 1X5 (60 lb DBs)
Weighted Dip 2X5 (40 lbs)
Flat Bench 2X5 (70 lb DBs)

Bent/Yates Row 2X5 (110lbs)
Cable Rows 2X5 (135lbs)

Hammer Curls 3X5 (35 lb DBs)
Narrow Grip Bench 2X5 (80lbs)

Shrug Cage 1X5 (90)
2X5(110)
Crunch Machine 2X5 (185lbs)

Routine: PM

Incline Bench 3X5 (60 lbs DBs)

Shoulder Press 3X5 (50 lb DBs)

Cable Rows 3X5 (135lbs)
Weighted Chin 3X5 (25 lbs)

Reverse BB curl 20 X 30 lbs M time=~8 sec)

Crunch Machine 2X5(185 lbs)

Seated Calf 3X5 (160 lbs)
Leg Press 2X5 (360 lbs)

from here on in, incline means greater than 45 degrees, which I hadn't been doing. I'm going to rotate flat, 45 degree +, and shoulder presses. Very different burns!

I'm starting to feel the wear and tear. I really need to decondition and do some 15s! I technically only have this week + one more until I should decondition, which hopefully will give me another 3-4 lbs fat loss, which may be enough to decently bring my abs into focus. If so, I'd be happy to stop cutting for a while.

If not, I may drastically reduce volume and push another week or so. I'm so close to where I want to be definition wise (at least for now) I don't know whats worse, pressing myself physically or losing psychological momentum on the cut.

As I understand it, while cutting its best to lift heavy. I wouldn't want to be lifting lighter than 8s or 5s while on this cut.

Lets see what happens.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> I suspect I'm hyperinsulinemic/functional hypoglycemic. So I tend to feel absolute best, energetic and full on the zone proportions, a little weak on the low carb, and out of my MIND with hunger on the traditional 65/25/10
</div>

I feel the same way. I need carbs - just not way too many of them.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">On the other hand if I bulk with the traditional low fat diet, will I put on a higher proportion of fat than normal given equivalent caloric intake, because of wild insulin? </div>

Fat intake controls hormones. Also, a lower Omega 3:6 ratio has been found to make people more lean.

65/25/10, is that C/P/F or P/C/F?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Fat intake controls hormones. Also, a lower Omega 3:6 ratio has been found to make people more lean.

65/25/10, is that C/P/F or P/C/F?</div>

ahh so you know what I'm talking about! most people I run into in the weight lifting world look at me like, 'huh? more carbs, more energy!' &quot;Carbs can make you tired?&quot;

On the fat connection, do you mean low fat= low test?

thats C/P/F, that 'traditional' athletic diet that guys like Michael Colgan have been recommending and swearing by for years. It seems to work great for certain people.

I wonder if more and more of us aren't hypoglycemic and insulin resistant these days because of being reared on garbage diets

I know for cyclical dieting, every other day refeed systems, UD2.0, etc, Lyle McDonald seems to imply that the key to not putting on excess fat when you're refeeding and eating above maintenance levels (M/W/F) for me, is to keep dietary fat way low. Then you're excess carbs shuttle away nicely into glycogen and (hopefully) muscle, minimally into fat.

This has seemed to work for me. However, so has 'refeeding' in the 40/30/30 manner. But right now, this is over all still a cut.

I wonder what will happen when I begin bulking. Will there be a difference between 'reloading' in the two proportions?

Friday July 04

Weight: 169.4
Hydration: 55.6

Waist: closer to 30! think its shrinking again...

Calories: &lt;3300

Routine:

Flat Bench: 3X5 (70 lb DB)
Dips: 3X5 (40 lb)
Incline Bench 3X5 (60 lb DB)

Shoulder Press 3X5(50 lb DB)
Shrug Cage: 3X10 (110 lb)

Hammer Curl 3X5 (35 lb DB)

Chins: 3X5 (25lb)
Cable Row: 3X5(135lb)
Bent/Yates: 3X5 (110lb)

Calf Press: 3X5 (160)
Leg Press: 2X5 (360)

Crunch Machine: 2X5 (185)

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">On the fat connection, do you mean low fat= low test?</div>

I would have to pull out my books, but I believe that can be true. The amount of Omega-3 intake can regulate eicosanoids...

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The ABC’s of Eicosanoids

The reason that EPA/DHA concentrates have such significant benefits is its ability to alter the levels of hormones known as eicosanoids. Eicosanoids are the most powerful hormones in the body. They ultimately control inflammation, but they also affect directly or indirectly a wide array of other hormones in the body. There are only three essential fatty acids that can be made into eicosanoids. Arachidonic acid (AA) is an omega-6 fatty acid, which is the building block for powerful pro-inflammatory eicosanoids that are associated with chronic disease and aging. Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) is the omega-3 fatty acid that partially inhibits the formation of AA. Although the eicosanoids derived from EPA are neutral, by reducing AA formation, they will have some anti-inflammatory benefits. However, the real power for maintaining wellness are the powerful anti-inflammatory eicosanoids that come from another omega-6 fatty acid known as dihomo gamma linolenic acid (DGLA). To achieve the maximum benefits of fish oil, you have to simutaneously reduce AA levels while increasing DGLA levels.

There are “good” eicosanoids that reverse inflammation, and there are “bad” eicosanoids that promote inflammation. Wellness requires a balance of both. Unfortunately, the vast majority of Americans are making more bad ones than good ones. That’s why there is an epidemic of silent inflammation in the country, which is driving our obesity epidemic as well as setting the stage for the development of chronic disease at an earlier age. The fastest way to restore a healthy balance of good and bad eicosanoids is to ensure that your diet is rich in EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). These are long-chain omega-3 essential fatty acids found in oily cold-water fish and fish oils. EPA not only helps quench silent inflammation but also naturally inhibits the brain’s hunger signals. DHA is the key fat for increasing the expression of the genes that help promote the synthesis of fat-burning enzymes as well as being required for optimal brain function.</div>

Ref: Zone link

Back