Getting lean without losing beef

Weds August 6

Weight: 157 flat (new low, woohoo)

Routine I: Cardio 4 mile jog/walk (walked for 10%, exhausted)

Day ends at 6 pm Thursday.

Calories:861.175 (probably more like 900, had some broccoli too forgot details early morning)
Protein:111.75
Fat:26.575
Carbs:43.75

<div>
(beingisbeing @ Aug. 06 2008,12:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Interesting though, that after nagging Lyle on his forum, he basically said he doesn't find the data/method of SD convincing at all, but prefers a periodic lightening up of intensity. I dunno what to think about this.</div>
like everything, this can be indiv.

i used to be one of those folks who stuck with the 2weeks for 15s/10s and then @ 4-7 weeks of 5s and lower. i just really felt the need for the mental/physc. break (1 1/2 to 2 week SD). it worked but overall prog. was slow due to constantly going back to the 15s (add up that amount of weeks)

for my most recent cut/recomp i didnt want to eat maint. for long periods while i SD or was in the lighter wgts.

so i went with two weeks 15s and two of 10s then about 5-6 weeks of 5x5 (3x a week). one week de-load of 2 sets of 10-12rep wgt only 2x a week. then it was one week of working the wgt back to 5x5 and then @4 weeks before another de-load. i started that in april and will finish up next week. the only change was occasionally only hitting w/os 2x a week and dropping the 5x5 to 5x4 and even 5x3 for heavy deads (every other w/o) due to the accum. work load.

honestly mentally im ready for a break and the muscles are a bit fatigued from the steady diet of heavy stuff but the joints are in great shape. a good bit of my fatigue may also come from the big weekend cardio ive been hitting (was training to summit a few 14ers here in CO) while maint. low carb (w/os being the exception).

in the end i was surprised at how well i handled the heavy stuff over that many weeks with just an occ. de-load.

SD certainly has its place but from my exper. it can be more like 2-3x a yr depending on pref. which leaves plenty of time to work up and then stay closer to the top wgts (which is really key). of course the occasional de-load is key as well. without it, imo, my exper would change dramatically.

good luck

great input as always bluejacket. you've been quite the help/support thus far. what you describe is what i've been considering (a deload instead of an UNload)

interestingly enough my muscles feel fantastic from the high rep work thats part and parcel of UD2.0. Joint pains and shoulder strain are entirely gone. By the time I got to my power workout last week I felt like the incredible hulk, with little fatigue or strain. maybe its all that lactic acid flush. Bryan was right!

i certainly believe the higher rep periods have there place/benefit. my next bulk will begin with them. ive just found with the de-load strategy i can stay higher (wgt) for longer then i used to attempt, after ive used the higher reps to set me up.

ive been lifting long enough to know where my top maxes are with a large degree of certainty. i also know what it takes in a cycle for me to reach them (consistency, solid progression, good sleep, diet etc.) so.....when i get to back to using top wgts im more excited about a week or so of de-load and then short ramp back up then i am with an SD and dropping back to the 15s etc and hope my sched stays clear for another month or so before im back in the 5s. its all indiv. though. without this most recent exper. i was signing a diff. tune last yr.

ud2.0 bulk will have its own set of parameters as far as when and what type of break is needed.

Weds 6 P.M -Thurs

Routine: Tension W/O

Carb Load:

Calories:4338
Protein:250
Fat:32
Carbs:950
Sugar (fructose or sucrose): 103 (that was hard)

its really hard to keep protein lower. I'm not sure there's any reason to, but Lyle's recommendation seems to be 1gr/lb LBM on this 'day.' not happening. tag along protein everywhere.

Being, your log is loaded with some really super reading and information. Thanks, I'll be stopping by often.

Friday:

Post Carb Load weigh in: 161.2 (wow)

Routine: Power WO

Calories: ~2700

Felt like dynamite again at the gym. I used to think the best part of this diet was the refeed. Now for me, its the incredible strength and energy I feel during the power workout.

<div>
(BAX67 @ Aug. 07 2008,11:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Being, your log is loaded with some really super reading and information. Thanks, I'll be stopping by often.</div>
thanks man, please do!

Saturday August 9th

Weight: 160

Routine: rest!

Calories: I counted roughly today, and ate IFish. Needed a mental break from tight regulation. However I'm at maintenance or +200 at most.

Social obligations are piling up, and UD2.0 maybe untenable for the remainder of this cut. I'll decide tomorrow.

The most time consuming issue here isn't the workouts or diet days, its the carb load. I basically have to have huge amounts of food/time portioned out into a 36 time frame, and then make sure the days after this don't reverse the fat loss, etc.

This may be hard to do in the next 2-3 weeks. EOD maybe the way to go for the last 3 lbs or so.

I saw a friend of mine today, an ex steroid user. He went on his first 'natural bulk,' going from a ripped 170 to a pudgy 190. But I must say, he has gained major muscle and is wearing his gut with a smile. Kind of inspiring for the coming winter months!

We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Sunday August 10th

Weight: 160

Routine: rest

Calories: 2500

I'm going back to EOD/IF, at least for 2 weeks or so. Don't have time for the all consuming carb loads in the next 2 weeks. EOD will work fine because I can adjust cutting/bulking days on the fly if necessary, function socially and maybe get laid!

I am pleased to announce however, that despite some unsightly flab, I have six visible abdominal muscles now!
biggrin.gif

I'm going to start EODing tomorrow

Great progress, Being!!  
cool.gif

I'm happy my brainchild did come to use. I have been SD-ing for a over a month and been slacking so I had to back off and restart my routine. How would you compare UD2 to the IF/PSMF, from a result-oriented perspective? Gains/cuts?

Best of luck to you on your continued efforts!
smile.gif

<div>
(nkl @ Aug. 11 2008,6:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Great progress, Being!!
cool.gif

I'm happy my brainchild did come to use. I have been SD-ing for a over a month and been slacking so I had to back off and restart my routine. How would you compare UD2 to the IF/PSMF, from a result-oriented perspective? Gains/cuts?

Best of luck to you on your continued efforts!
smile.gif
</div>
nkl, its great to see you! And thank you!

I'm really not sure how they compare honestly, but they both work great.

With UD2.0, the once weekly power workout is always dynamite. With EOD, the 3X weekly heavy lifting is kind of hit or miss, but this could be more psychological then anything...

When you're lifting heavy once a week and the entire week is been more or less a prep for it, you bet your *** you go in there PSYCHED to lift!

Today I felt terrible at the gym (back to EODing). Again, could be lack of sleep etc. I may cut my sets back to 2X5 instead of 3X5, or reduce exercises.

Ironically I'm playing with the 8 hr IF window method right now, instead of the 24/24. Martin B really seems convinced that its magic, Lyle Blade and others not so much vs EOD/psmf.

Looking forward to your future brain children and our convos nkl! welcome back

Monday Aug 11th

Weight: 162 (late meals last night, 3 days at maintenance, and alot of sodium last night! lets see what happens)

Routine: HST

Tuesday August 12th:

Weight: 158.6

routine: UD2.0 depletion workout (i guess old habits die hard!)

6 intervals in lieu of half the leg work

Calories:1289
Protein:210
Carbs:45
Fat:16
5 0z red wine (125 calories)

<div>
(beingisbeing @ Aug. 12 2008,11:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Tuesday August 12th:

5 0z red wine (125 calories)</div>
FYI, the serving of red wine has about 4 g of carbs and 15.6 g of alcohol (7 kcal per g)

<div>
(colby2152 @ Aug. 13 2008,8:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(beingisbeing @ Aug. 12 2008,11:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Tuesday August 12th:

5 0z red wine (125 calories)</div>
FYI, the serving of red wine has about 4 g of carbs and 15.6 g of alcohol (7 kcal per g)</div>
I was counting on it!

Needed the 4 gr carb to hit my ~50 gr for the day. not good to go lower without jacking protein higher on UD2.0

thanks for looking out man! you're going to be my source for caloric content of all those belgian beers come football season
smile.gif

Weds August 13th

Weight: 157.8

Routine: Depletion WO II

5 mins warm up + 6 mins intervals

30 mins cardio (incline walk)

50 min walk with doggie

Calories:1479 (i was naughty today)
Protein:216.5
Fat:37.9
Carbs:68

<div>
(beingisbeing @ Aug. 14 2008,12:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">             50 min walk with doggie</div>
I hope the dog is also getting enough protein
biggrin.gif

Thursday August 14th

Weight: 156.8 (hopefully I'll tank out at 155.5 tomorrow).

Routine: Fasted SS Cardio

50 min incline treadmill

And earlier, 4 intervals

5 min warm up

And before bed, a 4.5 mile jog

Calories: 1144
Protein:161
Carbs:53
Fat:32
Flabby as hell. But I count six!!!

0814081055a.jpg

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I hope the dog is also getting enough protein
biggrin.gif
</div>

The only one with a more neurotic diet than myself is the doggie!

She eats paleo all the way, grain free, high protein high fat LOLz I'm not even kidding.

This is her cheating on her diet with a lolipop...!
112_1281.jpg

Eating Fiber:

112_1274.jpg

If I had her genes I'd be JACKED:

033.jpg

Back