Gimme squat alternatives

I forgot about air squats! I hate them. You try and hold the position by "cheating" by pushing your weight into the wall and it actually works your quads even more. I hate them!
sad.gif

I think I may try them on off days to up my leg frequency.
cool.gif

Think Im gonna stick to the basics then...

except do air squats, deadlifts and squats in the AM, possibly rotate deadlifts and squats per workout and do the other fun crap in the PM, this way I can really focus on what Im doing and not get carried away, its the main reason my back is in the shape it is, I was simply doing way more weight that should, hey, I do get ambitious at times...it happens...haha

Thanks folks

<div>
(need2eat @ Nov. 12 2006,08:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Whoops, he says he has no bar either.  I'm sorry, but your only option is implants </div>

why is it everytime I see someone mention dumbells and squats, people freak out?

I have to tell ya, if you can pick up two 100lbs dumbells and do them like nothing, your the man.  Im fortunate enough to have the ability to take my DB's up to 120+ each.  However, Ive yet to see how DB squats are easy.</div>
If you equipped your gym with dumbbells going up to 120, why dont' you have any barbells ?

Space my friend...

I used to have a big ass bench, olympic weight set, then life happened...I simply do not have the room for it...trust me, or Id be using it.

I do have a short bar, think I might load'er down and use that for deadlifts.

Im currently using a small bench for incline presses, well, its not gonna last long.

So now that Ive told you way more information than you needed to know, why does everyone think dumbells are easy to squat, its awkward as hell and Id venture to say requires more stabilizer muscles, etc.?

<div>
(need2eat @ Nov. 13 2006,08:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Space my friend...

I used to have a big ass bench, olympic weight set, then life happened...I simply do not have the room for it...trust me, or Id be using it.

I do have a short bar, think I might load'er down and use that for deadlifts.

Im currently using a small bench for incline presses, well, its not gonna last long.

So now that Ive told you way more information than you needed to know, why does everyone think dumbells are easy to squat, its awkward as hell and Id venture to say requires more stabilizer muscles, etc.?</div>
You won't get very far working your legs with dumbbells. You need to decide what your priorities are, and if your priority is space, then deal with smaller legs. You won't ever find someone with 30&quot; thighs that built them using dumbbells. How are you going to squat atg using dumbbells without them hitting the floor and then taking the pressure off your legs ?

<div>
(stevejones @ Nov. 13 2006,10:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
You won't get very far working your legs with dumbbells.  You need to decide what your priorities are, and if your priority is space, then deal with smaller legs.  You won't ever find someone with 30&quot; thighs that built them using dumbbells.  How are you going to squat atg using dumbbells without them hitting the floor and then taking the pressure off your legs ?</div>
This really isn't an issue to discuss...you lack the information to disagree with what Ive said...its a space issue, period.

haha      
biggrin.gif

gotta love the internet.  
biggrin.gif

So now we are back to square one, I still have lower back issues and Im still looking for squat alternatives. Got any?

BTW, I have arms like a freaking ape and can still break parallel using dumbells, thats not bad IMO.

Now theres a thought FAZ, your first one seems to be worth a shot and looks like I'll probably bust my ass a couple times..thanks!!

You have a favorite dumbell quad exercise or was that it?

Steve, think ive done something simillar to your suggestion, think its called, lunges became exhausting, too tired to press back up into vertical position...how bout a couple reps for the road.
biggrin.gif
thanks though. Im not even close to a gym.

The first time I did lunges, I grabbed a pair of 60's and went off down the gym hallway. I couldn't even sit down the next day. I never laugh at d/b's anymore...
anyway, it really hit my glutes and hams more than quads. (perhaps because mine were weak?) Another variation that uses less &quot;reps&quot; is going up stairs with them 2 steps at a time, and coming down leaning back, hitting the quads. Also brutal.

<div>
(need2eat @ Nov. 13 2006,20:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Now theres a thought FAZ, your first one seems to be worth a shot and looks like I'll probably bust my ass a couple times..thanks!!

You have a favorite dumbell quad exercise or was that it?

Steve, think ive done something simillar to your suggestion, think its called, lunges became exhausting, too tired to press back up into vertical position...how bout a couple reps for the road.  
biggrin.gif
  thanks though.  Im not even close to a gym.</div>
yes thats an exellent one,also step ups on a bench holding db .
so basicly put your right leg up on the bench stand up then down without taking the leg of or changing legs,then repeat using left leg its
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Need2eat...

my legs are my worst part too...though for me it's a combination of not working them and knee surgeries making me afraid to go deep.

What changed this was my gf got into powerlifting and helped me learn how to do a proper ATG squat, back tight, chest up and hams on calves. Of course, for several months, my bench was bigger than my squat and i felt shame. And occasionally, i'd get mentally sloppy, lean forward and end up doing too much of a good morning instead of a squat.

My advice is to give ATG squats another chance, go deep, focus on form, and use light weight. Also, release your hip flexors by stretching them out before your sets...once stretched out, I find the stress really transfers to my quads and glutes. For me, I find the HST protocol of diminishing reps and increasing sets works though I've upped the frequency so I'm squatting 3x a week and deadlifting 2x (monday/friday).

Doing squats correctly, your legs will grow, though it will take some time, and your back should be fine as long as you focus on form and your ability to stay mentally sharp while doing them. DL's will help with strength in your lower back as well, again, as long as your form is good.

Eat, and sleep and end up growing.

And the major problem with DB work on legs is that there is no way you can handle as much weight safely...not even close. Your hands/writsts/arms will give long before your legs will...especially if you're DLing as well...

need2eat

ive done the single leg split squat in the past and it was a killer w/o. im not sure how optimal it is for hypertr. as i did it in conjunction with squats. you mentioned initially a &quot;pop&quot; in your back when squating so you were staying away from it but most of your following posts you mention doing db squating b/c you have no rack or bars.

is the pain gone? is it only with bb squats?

i think the problem your running into is your looking for an answer to being a &quot;quad non responder&quot; but the most effective quad building suggestions are unusable to you b/c of space considerations. perhaps some of the other exer. suggestions will work out well for you but for most slow growers heavy squats, leg press and deads over a decent amount of time is the prescription for slowly adding size. many who have had success using other &quot;home/space friendly&quot; exer. were not quad nonresponders to start with.

it seem unlikely your lifting set up/space is going to change (except to get smaller) nor are you going to join a gym so youll have to let us know how your quads respond to some of these exercises.

good luck

Ive had lower back issues since I can remember, even as a kid, I did some crazy chit...and im paying for it now.

I use DB's for space reasons.

Ive had issues with this before but a few weeks ago when I felt/heard the pop, I thought thats it, silly to continue putting myself through this, ive not done a squat movement since, hell I could barely bend for a week.  
biggrin.gif
 Im still recovering but I can do step ups with little drama. Ive yet to really add the weight there either, taking it slow.

Im gonna do the DB for a month or two and see what happens, I do have a short bar I can/will pile the weight on, to do deadlifts but Im taking it super slow. Worse comes to worse, Ill do the dang things outside in the cold with a bar but until then...

Thanks

If your back was/is that bad, it should go without saying that you shold seek medical attention and possibly chiropractic and/or physiotheraputic care.

Back