Glucose post workout when cutting ?

::Pixel.Freak::

I normally have a 70g bag of glucose jelly beans after my workout to replenish lost muscle glycogen. Should I continue to do this while cutting ?

::pixel.Freak::

Eating sweets isn't really ideal. For a start they're full of additives and colourings!

One thing you need to consider when cutting is as you are eating less food so there's less to get your nutrition from, like vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. Eating a 70g bag of sweets is a waste of nearly 300kcals if you ask me. Much better to be eating fruit, honey, oats, etc.

If you can fit it into your calorie goal for the day, then it won't matter with regards to fat loss. But... that is almost 300 calories that you could get elsewhere. Oats or fruit would definitely make you feel more full than jellybeans. However, if the jellybeans help satisfy your sweet tooth and that keeps you on your diet, then by all means do it.

if hes asking about GLUCOSE

who cares about vitamins, minerals, oats honey or what ever.

to the OP

if it works for you, why change?

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Mar. 12 2007,21:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">if hes asking about GLUCOSE

to the OP

if it works for you, why change?</div>
From someone who seems to be a well respected member that's a very small minded post, mate.

Well, I'm pretty sure he would be taking a multivitamin anyway... seriously, anyone who has any trouble getting enough vitamins/minerals in a first world country has some serious issues.

When training as hard as HST requires your body needs top quality nutrition. Not a problem when bulking, by all means drink glucose PWO but when on a calorie deficit quality food is at a premium.

Shoving 300kcals of empty simple carbs down your neck is hardly ideal. The guy has posted for some advice and the best we can give him is yeah eat a bag of sweets? c'mon?

If you're training in the AM I would say go ahead and leave them in. If you're training at the end of the day you may want to slowly decrease the amount you eat and see if it has any bearing on your progress (i.e. fat loss).

<div>
(Bison @ Mar. 13 2007,11:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Aaron_F @ Mar. 12 2007,21:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">if hes asking about GLUCOSE

to the OP

if it works for you, why change?</div>
From someone who seems to be a well respected member that's a very small minded post, mate.</div>

Whatever

He asked a specific question

he got a specific awnser

Making an ASSumption about the remainder of his diet is pointless

<div>
(Aaron_F @ Mar. 13 2007,01:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Whatever

He asked a specific question

he got a specific awnser

Making an ASSumption about the remainder of his diet is pointless</div>
Is that really a childish attempt at hiding an insult in your post..?

But isn`t da glucose evil?I mean, it`s a carb, and carbs are evil...it`s even a simple carb, which makes it evil and ugly!No mate, da glucose will make you unable to get ripped, seriously hardcore bodybuilders should only eat stuff that that`s nasty when cutting
smile.gif

I`m kidding, but the question is a bit meaningless(for us) because you didn`t add your daily calorie target. If you`re cutting at a moderate 12cal/lb and aren`t extremely light to begin with, there should be plenty of room for those 300 cals, theoretically. If you`re doing a PSMF or something like the UD2, it`s fairly self explanatory that the glucose must go. It all depends.

I didn't expect such a response at all. I just assumed eating large amounts of simple carbs post workout was standard practise. After all I thought that post workout you want to replace lost glycogen, you subsequent workouts don't suffer.

What I'm doing currently definitely isn't working. I was thinking of getting rid of the beans to reduce overall calories but was worried about how it would affect my workouts.

Replacing lost glycogen isn't really that important during a cut, in my opinion. I guess others might disagree, but that's my experience. If you are only working out three days a week, it won't effect your next workout. Even if you are doing cardio on offdays, you should still be fine. Again, just my experience, others may disagree.

<div>
:):pixel.Freak:: @ Mar. 14 2007,13:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I didn't expect such a response at all. I just assumed eating large amounts of simple carbs post workout was standard practise. After all I thought that post workout you want to replace lost glycogen, you subsequent workouts don't suffer.

What I'm doing currently definitely isn't working. I was thinking of getting rid of the beans to reduce overall calories but was worried about how it would affect my workouts.

::pixel.Freak::</div>
Depends

do you want to go low carb SKD, TKD, CKD?

do you want to go low fat?

just chucking carbs from post training may not achieve anything.

If you feel better trainign with the carbs postworkout, then keep them, and remove them as the last choice. Carbs post workout wont stop fat loss, eating too much over the day will stop fat loss.

No ?KD
No to low fat

Just a plain old &quot;eat less&quot; diet. Roughly 25% fat, 40% carbs, 35% protein.

I'm working out 5 days a week and a typical day looks something like this:

5:30am 3 weet bix + Milk + 3g fish oil + black coffee
9:00 am 2 weet bix + Milk + Black coffee
11:00am Black coffee
1:00pm 40g protein + Milk + 70g glucose jelly beans
2:00pm Black coffee + 60g cashews and almonds
4:00pm Banana
7:00pm Some sort of cooked dinner. eg Stir fried meat/veg + rice

That diet is shocking mate, really bad. Weetabix?? You know that's high GI right? Oats are much better.

Where's the protein?? How many calories do you have that worked out at?

As I see it from 5:30am to 1pm you've had about 15g of protein from the milk... that's it!! Where's you pre-workout shake/ meal?
Cashew and almonds are ok fro fats and nutrients but don't rely on them for protein, it's quite poor and not very bioavailable. No protein btween 1pm and 7pm?

That's just 2 protein meals in a day and you think you're getting 35% of you cals from protein, you're only eating about 100g.

Where's the fruit and veg??

You'll lose weight with this diet but a lot of it will be muscle.

What's your height and weight?

I'm seeing no protein intake from 7:00-pm to 1:00-pm!!! I thought, &quot;holy cow, this guy lives in catabolism cages!&quot;

Thank you so much for all this feedback. I never realized my diet was that bad. It now makes sense that I'm not getting any results.

In terms of the weet bix. I'm not sure what these are like where you live, but in Australia they are a whole weet lowish GI (69) biscuit. The reason I was having them was:
* Low Calorie
* Low GI
* Keeps me feeling full

About the EFA. it sounds like I should have more and spread across the day. How much more ? How should I spread them ? 3 meals ?

You are right about the protein. Before lunch I'm only getting about 30g. From lunch to dinner its about 55g. And dinner really varies. Sometimes its as low as 20g and other times its as high as 80g.

I think Bryn has written stuff about having high carbs in the Morning and High Protein in the afternoon, whilst keeping fat constant during the day.

Fruit an veg is also a valid point. I'm been trying not to eat too much fruit cause its high in fructose and I don't eat much veg, because I don't understand what the benefit is. Question: Would V8 juice count as veg ?

Back