Grip test

What frequency and sets/reps do you guys find most beneficial for gripper training. I bought a set of 1's just from this thread and can close them but only once. I would like to move up if I can.
J
smile.gif

I did it for 20 sec w/ left hand at 170 lbs. Didn't bother timing right b/c I figured they were about the same (and they pretty much were).

One important variable I think is how thick the bar you're hanging onto is. A relatively thin bar would be easy to hold on to while a thick one would be hard. Also, the size of ones hand also makes it easier or harder.

Also, have you read that one way of detecting good potential strength athletes is their grip strength when they were younger? (read that on t-net at one point or another) I found that pretty inspiring, since I've always had a very strong untrained grip (could beat basically anyone my age at mercy) compared to my peers in middle and even high school even when I didn't do strength excercise at all.

<div>
(Jazzer @ May 08 2007,18:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What frequency and sets/reps do you guys find most beneficial for gripper training. I bought a set of 1's just from this thread and can close them but only once. I would like to move up if I can.
J
smile.gif
</div>
3 sets of 7 three days per week is the magic number for me. In both the HGs and COC grippers, once I could do 7 reps, that usually meant I could do 1 rep with the next strongest gripper. If I couldn't make it to 7 reps, I'd do negatives until I could get 7 regular reps. A negative is squeezing gripper closed with both hands, and then letting it back out as slow as possible with one hand.

If you look at the load progression for the CoC grippers they go like this:

No1: 140
No2: 195
No3: 280
No4: 365

So, from 1 to 2 it's a 55lb increase (39%) but from 2 to 3 it's an 85lb increase (44%) and from 3 to 4 it's an 85lb increase (30%).

I found going from closing the 1 to the 2 didn't take too long but I still found I needed to be able to do 10 reps with the 1 before I could close the 2. Seeing that the %age increases are similar between successive grippers I am expecting that I will need to do at least 10 reps with the 2 in order to close the 3.

I started by doing sets of 5 reps, closing the No1 gripper as far as possible for each rep. (Bear in mind that the load is only the stated value when the gripper is closed. Up to that point the load will be lower.) Like Steve, I also did negs. Once I could do 3 or 4 full reps with the No1 I then started doing negs with the next hardest gripper. My technique was to squeee as hard as I could and also push my hand into my thigh to allow me to close it further. Then I would hold the load for several seconds before a slow release.

I am now experimenting with a Max-Stim style of training with my No2. I alternate hands after each rep and allow enough time between reps to get a good amount of my strength back. This way I am doing at least 20 reps per hand (although not fully closed on each rep). So far so good.

It's very easy to want to train your grip frequently as the total level of fatgue is so low. However, if I train more than three times a week I don't progress any faster. Also, your hands need time to toughen up after a hard session.

<div>
(colby2152 @ May 09 2007,20:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Has the improved grip helped you with chins and/or deadlifts?</div>
For me it definitely has, but then my deadlift 1RM is still under 500lbs. I never get a problem with my grip for chins or rows now, even when doing my heaviest 5s. For my deads I still tend to wear straps for my top set of 5s or beyond just because I don't have to think about my grip then. However, for just a single rep I can now hang on long enough with an alternate grip so that my grip is no longer the weak link.

I still have a slightly weaker left hand than my right but it is catching up.

I think it is a good idea to do more than just gripper work if you want to really improve your grip. A plate loading grip machine (you can quite easily make your own) is a good idea as is some kind of pinch grip exercise like Steve mentioned with the hex dbs.

Ya know, I wonder what the crush would be if you cut down one of Suzanne Summers &quot;thighmasters&quot; to make a grip rig?

Nonetheless, it will never look better than when SHE was using it....
wow.gif

Although it's recorded in my log, just thought I would add here that the other day I managed 20 consecutive 'click' reps with the No1 CoC with my right hand and 15 with my left. I was pretty pleased with that result. I also managed four good consecutive reps with the No2 with my right hand after the 20 with the No1. Not a chance with my left!

I still feel like I'm making good progress with my grip training. I can now just about get the No3 to parallel if I am fresh but warmed up. Still have a fair way to go to close it though.

Another indication that my grip strength has improved a great deal following all this grip strength work is that yesterday I worked up to holding 352lbs in an over-over grip for over 5 seconds (around 7s). I haven't been training this in a long while as I've pretty much been just sticking with grippers and deadlifting.

I then had a go at rack pulls and static holds with a reverse grip and worked up to 600lbs. I could hang on to that without a problem but my hands did get pretty sore by the end of the session. I think I could hold onto a bit more than 600lbs but I really don't want to sustain an injury so that will do for now. The important thing is that my grip strength was up to the job of holding the bar which means that it will no longer limit my deadlift numbers.

I was encouraged by this thread to get a set of grippers. I have no idea how the quality of the various types may vary, but I got a set anyhow (pretty much on blind faith). Mine are called &quot;Bone Crushers&quot;; they are no doubt of the highest quality China can make...

I got a set of three grippers. The first is a &quot;trainer&quot; which purportedly offers 100 lbs. of resistance. The second runs to 150 lbs. and the third goes to 200 lbs.

I can do three sets of 10 clicks with each hand, using the trainer. After that, I can only do one or two clicks with each hand, using the 150 lb. jobby. The 200 lb one is gonna be in its shrink wrap for a while yet.
sad.gif

That's great TunnelRat. Sounds like the Bone Crushers are very similar in load to the CoC grippers. Keep us posted with your progress.

I just ordered a pair of the COC's #1 Grippers. I got cheap and didn't order the Trainer as well. I hope I'm even able to move these things, or at least do negs without ripping my hands apart. My grip is quite weak. Going to see how long I can static hang at the end of my workout today...

<div>
(soflsun @ Sep. 14 2007,10:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I just ordered a pair of the COC's #1 Grippers. I got cheap and didn't order the Trainer as well.</div>
You likely won't need the trainers. I am not particularly big or strong, yet I was able to &quot;click&quot; the 100 lb. trainers ten times even the first week. Money down the drain...

Hand strength seems to respond quickly to gripper exercises. I've been able to &quot;click&quot; my 150 lb. five times easily and ten times with (much) effort.

I got the 200 lb. gripper out of its package this morning. I cannot &quot;click&quot; it yet (not even in my dreams!), but I find I can squeeze it well past parallel. Besides, I can use it to do negatives.

Thanks Tunnel,

So I'm not a cheap bastard, I'm just highly intuitive.  Thanks.
cool.gif
 Good luck on the 200lb'er.

Well, its confirmed!  I have a weaker grip than a girl...and I mean a girly girl.  I can't even come close to clicking the COC #1 with either hand, actually I can hardly move them more than 1 inch.  I wasted my money for sure!  According to the directions, it wouldn't be smart for grip strength or hand health to use a gripper than is this difficult for me.  Plus, I have nothing for a warm-up.
sad.gif
 Anyone, want to sell a used pair of Trainers?  I probably won't be able to move them either...

soflsun, don't despair! There are several things you can do to get a good grip workout from your gripper. Here's one thing:

Find some steel tube that has a diameter slightly larger than the gripper handle. (I use a piece of pipe that is about 18 inches long.) Wrap some tape around one handle so that the handle is a snug fit in the pipe. Twist the taped handle of the gripper into the tube. Now you can hold the tube with one hand while you use the other hand to work the gripper. It is much easier to crush the gripper this way as you are effectively helping to close it with your other hand. I also find that putting the open end of the tube against my thigh helps to keep the gripper still while I crush the heck out of it. I can completely close the No. 3 gripper easily with this method so you should find you get a better purchase on the No.1 too.

Don't forget that your grip strength will improve pretty quickly (your hands will toughen up quickly too) so it won't be long before you have the No.1 closed. Do some static holds too if you have time.

<div>
(soflsun @ Sep. 21 2007,14:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well, its confirmed!  I have a weaker grip than a girl...and I mean a girly girl.  I can't even come close to clicking the COC #1 with either hand, actually I can hardly move them more than 1 inch.  I wasted my money for sure!  According to the directions, it wouldn't be smart for grip strength or hand health to use a gripper than is this difficult for me.  Plus, I have nothing for a warm-up.
sad.gif
 Anyone, want to sell a used pair of Trainers?  I probably won't be able to move them either...</div>
If you can't find anyone to give you some trainers, you're better off going to a walmart and buying some regular cheap grippers. I doubt a trainer is much more difficult than those.

Back