Guess who's back, back again.

Totentanz

Super Moderator
Staff member
I returned to lifting a little while ago after a nearly 9 month layoff. I did lift sporadically during that time, there was one week in May when I was in Florida for a business trip and I managed two workouts that week. However, basically I was coming in to this seriously detrained.

One of my friends just opened a gym back in June and invited me to check it out, so I did. I opted to join his gym and workout there instead of at home for a few reasons. His gym is a weight lifting gym - there are only two treadmills in the whole place and many of the guys who lift there are fairly hardcore, so it helps me to be more motivated and the people there expect to see me three or four times a week which makes me more likely to actually show up since I don't want them giving me a hard time. Also, he has a lot of equipment so I can do a larger variety of exercises beyond what I could do with my power rack, bench and hack squat machine at home.

Goals by the end of the autumn season:
Get back my 500 lb deadlift - I'm almost there, having worked up to 475 for a double last week, though I won't be working up to any sort of max effort on it again for at least another month unless I decide to do it for some reason before then, for example if I need to show off to some of my friends.

Hit 250 lbs bodyweight - currently at 230 lbs which previously was my heaviest ever though last time I was 230 lbs I was significantly fatter than now

Squat 400 lbs - Current max is 365 though I think I'm not pushing myself hard enough

Bench 300 lbs - Current max is 285

Diet is whatever. I don't track calories strictly right now but I'm probably getting 4000 or so a day. Some days vary - typically I pack in more calories during the 24 hour window after a workout and eat slightly less calories the 24 hours prior to a workout, though I have been experimenting with attempting to load up on carbs during the window prior to the workout and this seems to be improving my performance significantly. One thing I have done differently than usual is I get 2 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight each day at a minimum and sometimes more than that. It seems like something magical has started to occur since I started consuming so much protein. Previously I would get around 250 - 300 grams a day and now I'm eating 450 to 500 grams a day. I've been putting on mass with ease, much easier than I can remember at any time in the past few years, though it is possible that once I turned 30 last month my metabolism magically changed right on that day.

My routine consists of four different workouts - two upper body, two lower body. I aim to do 3 workouts a week and if possible, I try to get 4 workouts a week but usually my schedule does not permit this. Each day focuses on one of the big three lifts except for the second upper body day where I replace flat bench with a chest press machine.

So... here it is:

Lower #1

Leg Curl
Leg Press
Standing Calf Raise
Seated Calf Raise
Weighted situps
Back Squat

Lower #2

Leg Curl
Leg Press
Standing Calf Raise
Seated Calf Raise
Weighted Crunches
Deadlifts

Upper #1

Row
Incline Bench
Lat Pulldown
Tricep Pulldown
BB Curls
Flat Bench

Upper #2

Pulldown
Shoulder Press
Chest Supported Row
Tricep Dips
BB Curls
Chest Press

Everything except the final lift each day is done with a sort of rest-pause style, or probably more similar to myoreps. The final lifts are always done with a bit of a warmup, then 4 sets of 5 reps with my working weight. So far it seems to be working very well. My arms are the biggest they've ever been which might be due to the fact that I've never really been big on direct armwork and this time I'm sticking to it. Also, my strength returned at a phenomenal rate and I'm basically at the same strength levels I was a few years ago when I hit my 500 lb deadlift. So I am very excited about where the next few months will take me.

And that's the meat of it. Now I've explained the how behind the log, I'll start posting my workouts as I complete them. More accountability is always a good thing, I'm coming to find.

Welcome back, Tot! I'm looking forward to watching you progress - again. The layout looks solid in terms of hitting your goals.

Welcome back, Totz! It seems like several of us have returned after a time off.

500 will come for you once again, but take it a little easy -- let that connective tissue develop as well as your muscles. No point in getting injured under the bar.

Upping your protein may be key in gaining real beef instead of just puffy fat. Of course, a hard core gym is always gonna be a help.

Thanks guys. TR - yup, I've never really tried to stick that hard to such a high amount of protein, but it really does seem to be making a huge difference. Of course that may also be due to a really, really long SD... Either way, I'm going to experiment more with this since my digestive system seems to be handling the extra protein just fine. When I first started out I used to get a lot of gas but that's not an issue anymore. Anyway, I'm going to try upping the protein even more in the 24 hour window after my workout and see what happens.
Funny you bring up the connective tissue issue. My right elbow is starting to feel pretty tender so I might have to drop the curls soon, which I am loathe to do since everyone at the gym and my girlfriend keep telling me how huge my arms look. Boo...

Last night:

September 8th, 2010

Hammerstrength Row Machine
135 x 8, 275 x 8, 5, 4, 3
Seated Pulldown
225 x 8, 6, 5, 3
Tricep Pulldown
70 x 9, 5, 4, 3
Curl Machine
75 x 13, 7, 2
Rack Pull
225 x 5, 405 x 5, 495 x 5, 585 x 1, 405 x 10
Flat Bench
135 x 5, 155 x 5, 185 x 5, 205 x 1

Flat Bench wasn't working for me, but the bench wasn't in a rack and I didn't have a very strong spotter so I was scared to push it too far. Rack pulls the plan had been to do 495 for 20 reps rest-pause but I was demonstrating for one of the newbies there and couldn't manage the 495 for more reps after I did that 585 rep.

Heading back over there tomorrow morning for another lower body day. We will see how heavy squats go early in the morning... not looking forward to it. Last early morning workout sucked hard.

Well the morning workout wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I did totally puss out on the squats though.

Leg Curl
135 x 16, 150 x 14, 4, 3

Seated Leg Press
315 x 8, 515 x 8, 8, 4

Standing Calf Raise
250 x 8, 4, 4

Back Squat
45 x 10, 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 275 x 5, 255 x 5 x 4

I could have easily done 10 or 15 reps with the 255 but I wasn't pushing myself that hard... my excuse is that I am working on form but everyone watching me said that my squat form is basically flawless and I've got full depth on every rep. Oh well, I'll try for 295 next week for 4 sets of 5 and see how that feels. It's just hard to get in the right frame of mind to push myself on squats when it's 8:00 in the morning.
Leg Press is another exercise that I think I can push myself a lot harder. I did those rest pause, pushing out 8 reps, resting 10 seconds, 8 more reps, rest 10 seconds and then I only did 4 even though I could have pushed out 8 again easily. So I'll up the weight again next week and hope it gets harder.

So far I'm at 300 grams of protein and about 3000 calories or so, so only another 150 grams of so before I can go to bed... I'm cooking pizza and steak for dinner. Mmm...

Last edited:
So far I'm at 300 grams of protein and about 3000 calories or so, so only another 150 grams of so before I can go to bed.
300 grams of protein to 3,000 calories is a 1/10 ratio. That's the same proportion I use when I'm cutting.

It makes for an easy diet. I don't have to count calories or carbs. I just eat those things such as chicken breasts, cottage cheese, protein mix, etc. that give me a 1/10 ratio or better. The result is that I get slim quick.

At 3,000 calories though, if you weigh significantly less than 300 lbs, this will probably beef you up just fine. 1g protein to 10 calories is likely the very definition of ''eating clean''.

Yesterday was supposed to be deadlift day but I had a cold Sunday and Monday. I felt like I could have went in and did it but I figured doing my workout would make me sicker so I took the day off. Today, I feel even worse. What the heck. Maybe I should have just done the workout yesterday. So anyway, I was going to do deadlift day today but there is no way that is happening.

Great goals Totz. Looking forward to you getting them. Just don't go and get yourself injured. 585lb rack pulls for the kids! Tsk, tsk! :)

My buddy who owns the gym called me today wondering when I was going to show up again. Apparently he's been waiting to do his next deadlift workout til I came in to do my deadlift workout. So... I'm going in tomorrow morning unless I'm sicker, but I'm feeling pretty good now. But I won't be doing my deadlift workout until Friday because he doesn't want to do deads that early in the morning. I don't blame him. So tomorrow will be an upper body day.

Man oh man. I really have to get my bench up. I'm going to have to go to doing bench every workout but maybe doing lighter work most of the work with a heavier day on the non-deadlift/non-squat days. I don't know. But if I ever want to go to any of the powerlifting meets around here, I need a better bench to pair with my big deadlift. Squat will get back up there, I'm not worried about that.

Still didn't feel that great today so I took it easy.

Hammerstrength Chest Press 135 x 10, 185 x 5, 205 x 5 x 4
Hammerstrength Row Machine 135 x 10, 225 x 5, 275 x 5 x 4
Triceps Pushdown 80 x 8 x 3
Military Press 95 x 5, 115 x 5 x 2, 95 x 8
Flat Bench 135 x 5, 165 x 5 x 3
Curl Machine 85 x 5, 95 x 8 x 3
Tricep Pushdown 50 x 15 x 2

Squats on Friday.

Is there something special about one-armed chinups? For some reason one of the guys was trying to do them and did like two with his right hand, so I tried and did 5 with my right and 4 with my left. But I don't know if I was using the 'acceptable' form. I was holding the bar with one hand and grasping my wrist with the other. I probably could have done more but I was pretty worn out from my workout.

Last edited:
SA Chins are amazing for overall back development. The version you mentioned are called "assisted" SA chins - but they are very effective regardless of the title. Try doing a rep just holding the bar with one hand, and keep the other free. That's a true SA chin, and are very, very hard to do.

Ah, ok. I'll play around with these some more after my workouts when I have some time to kill at the gym. How many assisted SA chins are the benchmark most people try to attain? Or is there a benchmark at all? I'll try a real SA chin tomorrow and see how that goes.

Last night's workout wasn't great...
September 20th, 2010

Hammerstrength Row Machine 225 x 8, 315 x 5 x 5, 365 x 5
Hammerstrength Chest Press 296 x 5, 225 x 5 x 4, 275 x 5
Tricep Pulldown 50 x 15 x 2
Deadlift 315 x 5, 405 x 3, 455 x 1, 405 x 1
Leg Press 315 x 8, 515 x 5 x 4
Tricep Dip Machine 150 x 8, 195 x 10 x 3
Leg Curl 150 x 15 x 3

I'm keeping the weight low for triceps and the reps high because my right elbow has been hurting pretty bad the past couple weeks. Deadlifts really made me angry. Last time I did 405 for 4 sets of 5 no problem, though the last couple reps were intense. This time 315 even felt heavy and after trying 455 for 1 rep, I said heck with it and refused to go on. I'll try again next week. I was sick most of last week so I'm probably still weak from that I guess.

Ah, ok. I'll play around with these some more after my workouts when I have some time to kill at the gym. How many assisted SA chins are the benchmark most people try to attain? Or is there a benchmark at all? I'll try a real SA chin tomorrow and see how that goes.

I am now at the stage where I can get a single rep where I hold my right shoulder with my left hand and pull-up with my right arm. Still can't do it with my left arm hanging free. I will be working on negs too to try to get this. Left side currently weaker so can't get as high on that side yet. This is something I never thought I would have a chance of getting but now my legs are shrinking it's becoming a possibility. Should be squatting again soon so I don't have long to get this in the bag.

I think I could manage 10 or so assisted chins. It's more a grip thing really. Great for that. Hang on a tick... OK, just did 12 with my right arm and nearly ripped all the skin off my hand! :D

(Oh yeah, that was without chalk. Chalk would really help with grip for assisted SA chins.)

Last edited:
Don't beat yourself up on the deadlift effort Tot. You pulled 455 for a single less than a week after being out of commission. Not bad, sir. Endurance is a fickle thing, and being sick kills it.

On the whole SA chin thing - if you can stabilize yourself enough for the unassisted type, I have to believe that to be the single best (read: most effective) vertical pulling movement. The big question is, though, the stability you have during the rep. You ask a lot of your deltoid cluster during the rep. Regardless - I'd love to see whether or not you have a rep in you for each arm.

Lol - 12 assisted is great!

Great to see you here Totentanz. I've noticed you're mentioning aches and pains already and frustration with some of your lifts. I would offer that you should slow down...not push things so fast. Your lifts will come back in due time. But you don't want to be nursing inuries already, especially an elbow. Just my $0.02

Yes, I agree which is why I've decided to totally drop armwork for now and cut the weight back while increasing the reps on anything that involved bending my arms. Not worth the injury... However, I'm still keeping the leg work heavy.

Workout tonight went pretty well. I did rack pulls for fun after my workout and built up to 685 lbs for 5 and then 700 lbs for a single, and it felt good. Squats were difficult as I ended up ripping my underwear at the bottom on my second set and that threw me off. I will log the whole workout later on.

I didn't get a chance to try any single arm chins today since I was in a hurry to get home to dinner, but I will on Friday.

I'm kind of curious as to why you don't think my plan falls within the umbrella of HST? Yes, my routine looks quite a bit different than the example HST routine provided on the website, however I abide by all the principles of HST. I rely on mechanical load as the primary growth stimulus, I hit the whole body frequently and I am increasing load over time. I do have a few missed workouts, which might make it seem as though I am lacking in frequency, however HST principles don't say "workout every 48 hours" but simply state that we want to focus on chronic rather than acute stimulus. Possibly where you are getting this 48 hour thing from is where it states that recovery still takes place even if the muscle is loaded again in 48 hours. I'm even a believer in SD which seems like it has fallen out of favor with some people. I don't take an SD as frequently as in the example HST routine but I do take a 9 day SD when it becomes necessary. In fact, I have found in personal experience that 9 days off definitely has a beneficial effect. Research shows a spike in satellite cell count on day 10, which is when you would be returning to your workout. I've found that returning to the weights on day 10 allows me to blow past my old maxes once I've built back up to them and I definitely think it could be due to that effect.

You might enjoy reading the HST article again, specifically the first page laying out the principles of growth that HST uses as it's foundation. http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/hst_index.html Beyond that, I encourage you to do the research yourself. After I found HST, eventually I did a lot of exploring into other methods (I've tried 5x5, DC and several others) and after a lot of research I always come back to the core principles of HST. Granted, my implementation of those principles might look a little weird to some people... for instance, I can only squat or deadlift once a week due to the load I am pushing being too heavy for me to recover sufficiently if I do them more than once a week, but I work around this limitation.

One other thing that might be confusing is the fact that I often fool around with other lifts after my workout is over, and I log all that too. For instance, last night I did rack pulls after my workout and built up to a 1 rep max effort. Last night was a fun night at the gym though. This other guy was there who was benching, and my friend who owns the gym and myself, being the largest ones there aside from this massive guy who was benching, got recruited as his spotters as he went for a 500 lb single on flat bench. It was quite motivating helping out with that, and after he got 500 for a single and went for 510 and got it, well, I felt motivated to push myself to move a lot of plates.

September 22nd, 2010

Hammerstrength Chest Press 185 x 10 x 3
Shoulder Press Machine 70 x 5, 95 x 5 x 3, 70 x 15 (surprisingly difficult considering how little weight I used, the machine felt really good though)
Leg Curl 150 x 15 (warming my hams for the squat...)
Back Squat 225 x 5, 275 x 5 (quit after ripping my underwear, lucky my shorts survived and only my undies were shredded... didn't manage to do my working sets at all after that)
Flat Bench 95 x 8, 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 205 x 3, 225 x 2, 205 x 5 x 3
Rack Pull 315 x 5, 405 x 3, 495 x 5, 585 x 3, 600 x 3, 675 x 5, 700 x 1

Nothing like a spot of motivation! Darn, those rack pulls are heavy. Are you using lifting straps, Versas or using reverse grip? (If you're hook-gripping 700 so soon then I am even more blown away. Thumbs on ice tonight? :) )

Re tearing u/wear: Ha, ha! I've blown more pairs of jeans over the last few years than I care to remember; all because I couldn't be bothered to change after work. Really off-putting when they go as it's usually deep in the hole. Never had me undies explode though. What were they made out of? Inzer make some powerlifting briefs. I thought about getting some of those to help after my hernia but never did. Didn't want to have to send them back to the States if they didn't fit properly. If I can get hold of some in the UK then I will probably still get some once I get back to training properly (hopefully next week).

Back