Guess who's back, back again.

have you ever concentrated on your arms before to get them to grow? i've seen a lot of guys who all they do is curl and they have good biceps but not much else. my mate used to absolutely wreck his and he ended up with tennis balls on his arms. i know with HST you can do Isos or not - up to you, but if someone like me who struggles in the guns department do you rekon doing arm isos is a good thing? i was thinking of adding some but i dont know.

Last edited:
I was getting some growth through August doing curls but my elbows didn't like it so I quit. I work my triceps with dips still and my strength is climbing on the tricep dips quite steadily. I don't plan to start doing curls again, I don't want to get the elbow pain back... For you, I would go ahead and add in a bit of arm work but the main reason I usually advise against arm work for most folks is they go crazy with it and do too much. Your biceps are getting hit on rows and chins already, so if you just add in a couple sets of curls at the end of your session, that should be plenty, I think.

Wow! You're almost 250lb! Mahoosive! I am now like a small child's play thing by comparison. I'm expecting a 600lb deadlift and a 500lb squat at some point in your future. I'm also expecting 17" guns! :) I reckon hitting my tris hard with heavy dipping coupled with a stretch-point movement did more than anything else to get my arms up. Even bw dips for you are pretty heavy. Can't imagine how your arms won't get huge from plenty of weighted dips.

so when i'm doing dips do you think i should do them close for tris or wide for chest? i'm basically using them as a replacement for bench on my B day. when i do them wide i dont really feel them as much in my tris. although i am now doing skulls as well so i dont know

so when i'm doing dips do you think i should do them close for tris or wide for chest? i'm basically using them as a replacement for bench on my B day. when i do them wide i dont really feel them as much in my tris. although i am now doing skulls as well so i dont know

My best advice to you is to do them in a way that makes them feel most comfortable with a good ROM. Once you start piling on the load you really want to be as stable as possible throughout the movement. I see absolutely no point in increasing your chance of injury. Heavy dipping can easily take its toll on your shoulders if you go too deep and if you have too wide a grip. Don't make that mistake. If you want to progress to dipping with bw+bw (a good long-term goal to have) then you need to get this right from the start.

I didn't bother logging my last couple workouts. Today was a standard workout except deads, so I'm only going to log the deadlift here. I deadlifted with one of my friends and went pretty heavy. We did roughly the same workout for deads. Except when we got to 500 he did another set of 3 reps after our first set.

135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 5, 405 x 5, 500 x 4, (at this point he did another set of 3 reps with 500), 515 x 1, 545 x 1

That's right. He went first and got the 545 about halfway up but couldn't finish the lift. Then it was my turn. It was hard... very hard, but I did it.

500 for 4 was a PR. 545 for a single was a PR. Two PRs in one day.

I was supposed to do another lift for my standard workout but I couldn't move after picking up 545. Sitting at home now, my calves, hams, glutes, erectors and traps are all feeling the strain. Kinda scared to see how it feels tomorrow. We are probably going to try to coordinate our deadlifting days together from now on because it was very productive for us both.

Time to update the sig...

Your body weight of 245 lbs is impressive. How tall are you? Most people tend to get heavier as they get older, simply by the way it is, like their bones getting wider, their skeleton getting heavier or something. So how old are you? :)

Last edited:
I am 6'1 and just turned 30 years old in August. At 6'1, 245 lbs really isn't all that heavy compared to lots of people I know but it is the heaviest I have ever been by far. And of course of all those people I know who are 250+, very few have a good body composition, so...

I have to apologize to everyone for not following my HST program the way it is laid out. This is a case of "do as I say, not as I do" because although I am doing my program as written, the extra stuff I am doing is probably not a good idea for most people to emulate. Doing maximal attempts often isn't the best course of action for the majority of trainees.

Sometimes you have to say, 'to hell with training' and just have some fun!

See, I knew a 600 deadlift wasn't far away. A 545 lift is fantastic mate, and even more so following 500 x 4 and a single with 515! You would most likely get 560 now with a warmup to it in singles and taking bigger jumps in load.

Oh, and 245 with reasonably good body composition is a merry mile further ahead than 250 without. I would hate to meet you on a dark night! :D

I hate to toot my own horn too much but I am feeling quite awesome lately. I don't know if it's the extra protein I'm taking in or what exactly but it seems like there's no stopping me lately. I used to wear large shirts and they were kinda snug but not stupidly tight. We just went shopping for new clothes since I have a big conference for work next month and need new business clothes for it. The XL shirts are kinda tight on me now so I'm going to have to start getting 2XL shirts if I get any bigger. I have definitely gained a bit of fat too though since my size 36 pants are getting tight and I'm probably going to upgrade to size 38.

The 9 day SD really I think was a great thing, because I only managed a maximal deadlift of 505 pre-SD and then 545 post-SD so I really think that was a well timed SD. I want to attempt 405 for reps on squats tomorrow. I have the top deadlift in the gym right now, which is kind of weird to me since the top bench in the gym is currently 520. You'd think when we have five different guys who can do 400+ on bench that there would be more than just myself and my friend who can do 400+ (not to mention 500+) on deads, but the top dead other than him and I is one guy who managed 355 for a single a couple weeks ago. My buddy did 405 for 3 sets of 3 the other day, I beat him on deads yesterday so I kinda want to match his squat at the very least.

Anyway, I'm definitely pushing for a 600 dead and 500 squat by the end of the winter. It's starting to get difficult to keep packing on the weight - I actually lost two pounds last week, so I'm not sure if I can keep up this bulk all winter. Might have to do a minicut through November. I really don't want to deviate from the plan though, I really want to break the 250 barrier.

Thanks for all the support, guys. It definitely helps keep me motivated to be able to come here and get positive comments on all my hard work.

Great work mate keep it up!

Cant wait until ive got the strongest lift in my gym on anything!

yeah tot awesome stuff mate. what about your bench? are you aiming for over 300? i hear you about the clothes. i might have to start doing some shopping myself. all good!

Yeah I'm shooting for 315 on bench. That's probably going to take a while. I suck at bench.

Morning workout today. I was too tired to do squats today. I'll do them tomorrow at home. Today was the last day of the 10s and nothing felt hard at all. But doing squats at 8 in the morning... I just am not in my groove at that time of the day.

October 22nd, 2010

Flat Bench 135 x 8, 155 x 3, 200 x 10 x 2
200 is definitely not even that close to my 10 RM, I'm guessing it's probably more like 220 now. I won't be testing that right now though. Although, estimating a 220 lb 10 rep max, that means that I should be able to do close to 300 for a 1 rep max, so I may have to try that out on Monday instead of dropping down to 5s. I'm not really sure what I did when calculating my 10s, because I don't think 200 should have been my 10 RM.

Hammerstrength Row 225 x 5, 295 x 10 x 2
Old 10 RM was supposed to be 285 and I did 295 instead and it was simple, so I could probably have easily went over 3 plates a side no problem.

Tricep Dips 240 x 10 x 2
I've been using the tricep dip machine but there is no strap to hold me down so I'll probably have to start doing bodyweight dips on the dip bars during the 5s. The only way to get the stack up on the first rep is to push down on the handles while sitting down, then after that I can do my set.

Decline Bench 205 x 10
Still feels ackward but I'm getting used to it... no spotter today so I didn't push it

Pulldown 225 x 10 x 2
Not even close to my 10 RM... obviously I can probably do bodyweight chins for 10 reps at this point but they make me get out of breath too quickly because of how fat I am getting, so I prefer to do the pulldowns.

Squats tomorrow after work at some point... going to try for a new 10 rep max.

I think I'm going to do a bit of a cut for the next couple months so it's easier to gain weight once I get full in to the winter time. I'm really struggling to get in enough calories and protein each day now and I'm feeling bloated constantly. So if I can drop twelve pounds or so over the next couple months, it will make it a lot easier once I get back to bulking. I'm still mulling it over...

if you do decide to cut what will you do? just change up the diet a bit?

Yup. Just drop the calories a bit. My training rarely looks all that different between bulking and cutting. I don't really push for PRs when cutting, that's about the only difference. I keep the loads heavy to spare as much lean mass as possible.

Dag, I'm out for a week or two and Totz hits 545. See what I miss if I don't stay current?

Congrats, Totz, 545 is a man's lift!

Back