Shoulder DB press x 2
Lateral raise x 2
Standing Tricep Extensions x 2
Single Arm DB row x 2
Flat bench supinated DB press x 2
Crunches x 2
Squats x 2
SLDL x 2

Came off of pretty much my own basic split back/bicep etc.
I'm 16, 5'8, 157lb at about 14-15% bf.

My 1RM are

Bench: 180lb
Military Press: 125lb
Deadlift: 220lb
Squat: 280lb

Goal: Mass, looking to add about 15lb's by september.

You really want guns, dontcha?

No one commented because you havent posted stats, age, goals, gym time, what program you came off of, etc. - especially goals.

Updated. Thanks, am I supposed to bump every up to 3 sets in the 5 rep stage?

won't lead to overtraining eh? so its okay if i bump everything i listed to x3??

getaway24

You're not being that clear mate! How far are you in the HST setup?

3 sets is best during 5's as things will get heavy but you are keeping 15 reps throughout, if you have not read the FAQ then please do so as it will explain a lot and will avoid us having to "re-invent the wheel".
biggrin.gif

so, for 15's - do at least one set, you can do two but usually this gets a bit much towards the end.

10's - do 1 1/2 or two sets (1 1/2 is really only if you want to keep exact 15 reps through the program, not at all a necessity, but if you are a perfectionist...then
wink.gif
)

5's - 3 sets, beyond 5's as well.

Now for your program, set it up into A/B so that you minimize what you do each time but include more exercises, some however I'd chnge or include others:

Bicep Curls x 2 (not really a necessity - up to you)
Incline Bench x 2 (alternate A/B with Flat bench supinated DB press x 2)
Bent Over Barbell row x 2 (alternate with Single Arm DB row x 2) personally I prefer reverse close grip Chinups - weighted - hits the arms and the lats a whole lot better, but it is a choice)
Shoulder DB press x 2 (alternate with Lateral raise x 2)
Standing Tricep Extensions x 2 (If you do weighted dips instead of one of teh press variations for chest you hit "two birds with one stone")
Crunches x 2 (keep it for th end)
Squats x 2 (start with this) where is the deadlift (do at least 1 x week)
SLDL x 2 (Ok to keep if hamstrings are lagging)

Ok that is my opinion for the workout.

For the weights, start with 65% or so of the 1 RM, or 75% or each RM and then add progression 5% for isos and 10% for the bigger compounds.

Ahhhh, finally I got it off my chest, polease don't let me have to write this again! It is bboooring, that is why the other guys answer in monologues, they are tired of re-writing this.

All the reading here, is impreative and FREE!
wink.gif

Cheers bud, now re-work things and lets see what we can do!

you didnt have to write all that, but thanks anyways. I'm currently onto week 5, and following that exact routine, I just wanted to make sure if i changed all of them from x2 to x3 it would not be overtraining, thanks man.

by the way, can you explain alternating, is it like supersetting?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Deadlift: 220lb
Squat: 280lb</div>

Just as a note here, I would say this is likely a result of squatting very high.

Because basically nobody has a raw squat 1 RM &gt; than their deadlift 1 RM, particularly by this amount, unless they are quarter squatting.

I bring this up because quarter squatting will likely hamper your results in a lot of ways (predisposition to injury, reduced effectiveness of squats at actually making your legs grow, etc).

<div>
(getaway24 @ Jun. 03 2008,5:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">you didnt have to write all that, but thanks anyways. I'm currently onto week 5, and following that exact routine, I just wanted to make sure if i changed all of them from x2 to x3 it would not be overtraining, thanks man.

by the way, can you explain alternating, is it like supersetting?</div>
alternating is doing incline-bench on monday decline bench on wednesday.
if you are doing all those exercises in one go i wouldnt do 3 sets its to much IMO,you have two exercises for nearly every muscle group,if you want to do three sets then alternate is i have shown you above ie an A)mon B)wed.etc,good luck
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Yeah, alternating is like Faz says, splitting your workout into 2 then doing one exercise one day and the other on the next training day, that way you can raise your exercises to 3 sets without worries.

Also very important is what Mikeynov is bringing your attention to, you should try to squat all the way till your thighs touch your calves, as he points out, your deadlift should be higher than your squat by 15 - 20% depending on your strength! Not the other way round as then as he says you are clearly not squatting properly.

Technique for the two is discussed ad nauseum in the basic exercise forum.
wink.gif

Sometimes to get clear guidance it is best to specify where you are in the program and make clear points so that we can pinpoint possible problems!

Cheers
wink.gif

Okay, from what you've told me and what I've read, I've revised it to this, look good?

Bicep Curls x 2
Incline Bench x 3
Bent Over Barbell row x 3
Military Press x3
Crunches x 2
Squats x 3

Day B

Bicep Curls x 2
Shoulder DB press x 3
Single Arm DB row x 3
Flat bench supinated DB press x 3
Crunches x 2
SLDL x 3

I figured I'll keep the ISO arm work to 2 sets because a fear of overtrain, or is it fine this way? My arms are first priority.

yeah, looks better and will allow you to concentrate on doing 3 heavy sets.

If arms are priority why not traion them with supersets? Do one set and drop weight 3 times, then move to triceps and do the same, that should get them going soon. Just a tip!

I still do not know why you are despising Chins, dips and deadlifts? These will grow your arms quite well IMO.

I workout at home and I don't have the dip stand machine and as for deadlifts, I do it occasionally but don't like the way it makes my back feel after a workout, i feel I'm very injury prone to a workout such as that. As for chins, I do have a chinup bar, but no weight belt.... So I could do 15 full up and downs till I can't go up anywhere, thats way surpassed 5 haha. So...

&quot;Do one set and drop weight 3 times&quot; What does this mean...? I know what a superset is, it's where I do biceps do triceps right after. then repeat till their both done three times. If that will make my arm growth better, I guess i have to do barbell curls then tricep ext on my dumbells seeing how I only have two metal rods where I add weight to for dumbells. Thanks!

Sorry I meant drop set which is different, take a heavy weight as for 5's, then a mid range type of weight (like 10's or so), then a light one without rest, do 1 set, take the next weight, do set 2 then take weight 3 and finish off, some people even prefer to do set 1 for say 5 reps, set 2 10, then set 3 15 reps.

But this is just a technique, maybe you should get hold of a old e-book we have here, made by Jules, he has since disappeared no idea why, its called Pimp my hst, look it up.

Can I just superset like this, wouldn't be too much on the arms right?

Barbell Curls
Tricep Ext
Rest
Barbell Curls
Tricep Ext
Rest
Barbell Curls
Tricep Ext

all 5 reps? or should I reduce it to two sets?I read up on supersetting and saw that it's the best for growth because the muscle is constantly in anabolic state.

I won't get into the superset argument again, but for your chins or pullups:
Place your DB in the crook of one knee and hook that foot over the calf of the other leg, trapping the DB behind the knee. Then reach up and grab the bar for your weighted pullups. You need to be able to open the leg up and drop the DB though; you won't always be able to put it down by hand when they get heavy. (I'm saying protect the floor)

i wasnt aware there was an arugment, and thanks, ill try that out.

Back