How does this look?

• Thread starter imported_getaway24
  • Start date
Again: fatigue doesn't directly build muscle. (simplified)

...but if you like sufferage it will make you feel better. I'd rather lift heavy/hard, save my energy for the next w.o.

<div>
(getaway24 @ Jun. 03 2008,7:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Okay, from what you've told me and what I've read, I've revised it to this, look good?

Bicep Curls x 2
Incline Bench x 3
Bent Over Barbell row x 3
Military Press x3
Standing Tricep Extensions x 2
Crunches x 2
Squats x 3

Day B

Bicep Curls x 2
Shoulder DB press x 3
Standing Tricep Extensions x 2
Single Arm DB row x 3
Flat bench supinated DB press x 3
Crunches x 2
SLDL x 3

I figured I'll keep the ISO arm work to 2 sets because a fear of overtrain, or is it fine this way? My arms are first priority.</div>
The only thing I would change is the order of exercises, assuming this is the order you will be performing them.
Although arms are your priority your major muscle groups need to come first. Legs, Chest, Back, Shoulders, Arms, then Abs. Doing the major lfts at the end is going to reduce the intensity and effectiveness of the lift do to the increasing fatigue at that point of the routine. Doing arms last will not impair their progress because they are a minor group and you are going to be doing direct iso work and in addition they are going to be worked in the compound lifts.
It is believed that the squat works over 200 different muscles in the body. Take advantage of that and do them first!

<div>
(getaway24 @ Jun. 03 2008,9:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">as for deadlifts, I do it occasionally but don't like the way it makes my back feel after a workout, i feel I'm very injury prone to a workout such as that.</div>
If your back hurts after deadlifts it is because you are not using proper form. Never for go form to improve weight, especially with deadlifts and squats, that is the fast ticket to injury.
Dont give up on deads. Drop your weight and improve your form. Most put deads right there with squats as the most effective movement you can do for both strength and mass.
For starters read both of these articles:
Stronglifts - Avoid back pain with deadlifts
Stronglifts - Proper deadlift form
Both of these articles offer very good advice, follow it and see if it doesnt help.
If you still find you are having pain issues take a look at the book Starting Strength By Mark Rippetoe for more in depth analysis of the proper form. Actually this book really should be a must read for anyone starting out.

Deadlifts are taxing on the lower back so it is normal to feel the burn in the lower back muscles and feel them stiff/pumped afterwards. If you are feeling pain then you are most likely using wrong form, trying a weight that is too high and your lower back is not used to it or both.
One mistake I realized I was doing on deadlifts was that I stretched my lefts without lifting the weight from the floor then I started lifting it with my back. So I turned my deadlift into a stiff legged deadlift which is much more demanding for the lower back.

Dawaro has learn't preety quick and has taken the words right out of my mouth, let me endorse what he recommends, me being South African and all, I bought the book starting strength and it is an excellent addition to any weight lifter's library, down to earth advice on the best lifts in the game.

Since he has given you guidance on how to perform them I'd suggest you take it up anfd start right away or at least soon, it is worth teh effort and pays back in solid muscle. Any one of the veterans here and all of the experts perform either both squats and deadlifts or at least one of the movements.

I was also going to give you the once over about the order of exercises, very important since you would tire muscles that you would need for the big movements, that being a very silly way to train.

All in all, your workout is ok but if you want some good examples go to the simplify and win thread and pick one from there, there are quite a few and they all quite good.

Cheers

Is it only &quot;ok&quot; because of my abscence of deadlifts? I think it's solid, could you point out whats wrong? Other then the order ytou already mentioned.

Alright, I incorporated deads, they weren't too bad today.

Deadlift 3x5
Military Press 3x5
Incline Bench 3x5
Squats 3x5
Single Arm DB rows 3x5
DB curls supersetted with Tricep Extensions 3x5
Crunches 3x30

Then the next day, I'll alternate. Look good? If everything is in check, can this routine add 1/4-1/2 inch to my arms by July?

<div>
(getaway24 @ Jun. 04 2008,6:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If everything is in check, can this routine add 1/4-1/2 inch to my arms by July?</div>
There is no way someone can answer this for you. Too many variables like your diet, current level of training and conditioning, length of your training, and how much effort you put into it in the gym.
For what it is worth I have read that it takes a 20lb gain to see a 1&quot; increase in your arms. So if you have 8 weeks and everything is in check it COULD be possible. The natural lifter can expect to gain between 1-2lbs a week so in 8 weeks 10lbs is resonable, especially if you are just starting out.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Then the next day, I'll alternate. Look good? If everything is in check, can this routine add 1/4-1/2 inch to my arms by July? </div>

Again dawaro beat me to it, we don;t give guarantees, but let me toake a shot in the dark, if you include dips and chin ups you might just get it!

However dawaro's not too far by saying it takes (i'll just correct it) 15 pounds bodyweight gain to increase an inch on the arms.
wink.gif

so 1/4&quot; = 3.75 Lbs and 1/2&quot; = 7.5 Lbs bodyweight, pretty much possible IMO.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">As for chins, I do have a chinup bar, but no weight belt.... So I could do 15 full up and downs till I can't go up anywhere, thats way surpassed 5 haha. So...</div>

you don't need a weight belt for dips NOR chins! sorry, but when i figured this out awhile ago i was super excited lol haha, wear a bag on your back! with weights of course. simple, you can add weights very easily, and it doesn't put your body in a vulnerable position for injury at ALL. it works very nicely, i do this myself!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If your back hurts after deadlifts it is because you are not using proper form.</div>
i reckon if your back ISN'T hurting your not doing it correctly haha nah joking, but really, it doesn't matter it your back hurts. i have fantastic deadlift technique and my back hurts, it's supposed to really, it works the lower back muscles, it doesn't wreck them. as long as you're doing the right form, your cool (but of course if it's unnatural exCRUCIATING pain, i'd stop lol)

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">However dawaro's not too far by saying it takes (i'll just correct it) 15 pounds bodyweight gain to increase an inch on the arms.</div>
hmmm, sorry guys, i'm not too sure bout this one, cos WHY do i always see small guys with huge arms? as in it's OBVIOUS they don't train the rest of their body but only train arms, yet have disproportional-to-the-rest-of-the-body looking big arms...

i just do not see how your whole bodyweight has anything to do with the size of your arms, tension specificity is key right? (ie actually training your arms)

That formula is assuming you have been working out for a while and are trying to gain more. Those guys are probably walking on toothpicks, working only on their show muscles. They also usually hit the gym and suddenly invisible rolls of carpet appear under their arms because their &quot;lats&quot; are so wide.

<div>
(_Simon_ @ Jun. 06 2008,7:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If your back hurts after deadlifts it is because you are not using proper form.</div>
i reckon if your back ISN'T hurting your not doing it correctly haha nah joking, but really, it doesn't matter it your back hurts. i have fantastic deadlift technique and my back hurts, it's supposed to really, it works the lower back muscles, it doesn't wreck them. as long as you're doing the right form, your cool (but of course if it's unnatural exCRUCIATING pain, i'd stop lol)</div>
Well, define pain
smile.gif
Muscle soreness is ok and as you said if you are really doing it right you can expect to be sore in the lower back. If you are feeling PAIN as in &quot;something is wrong pain&quot; then, guess what, something is probably wrong.

<div>
(_Simon_ @ Jun. 06 2008,5:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">However dawaro's not too far by saying it takes (i'll just correct it) 15 pounds bodyweight gain to increase an inch on the arms.</div>
hmmm, sorry guys, i'm not too sure bout this one, cos WHY do i always see small guys with huge arms? as in it's OBVIOUS they don't train the rest of their body but only train arms, yet have disproportional-to-the-rest-of-the-body looking big arms...

i just do not see how your whole bodyweight has anything to do with the size of your arms, tension specificity is key right? (ie actually training your arms)</div>
Remember there will always be exceptions to the rule when you are dealing with genetics. But for someone doing a balanced routine, like the one discussed, 15-20lbs is a good rule of thumb.

Bicep Curls x 3
Shoulder DB press x 3
Standing Tricep Extensions x 3
Bent-over barbell row x 3
Flat bench DB press x 3
Crunches x 2
SLDL x 3

This is day B

If I add chin ups to this would I be overtraining? Or should I add it to the other routine, what would I replace? Also, If I superset the arms (3 sets each for biceps, 3 sets for triceps) and did this 3x a week, it would not be overtraining correct? thanks

getaway24

Overtraining will become obvious to you during your training.

Adding chins would work your arms some, in which case you could drop the arms workout to 1 set only as a touch up at the end of the wrokout.

Likewise with dips, your triceps would be worked pretty well even though you'd be doing the dips to achieve a better chest workout.

You understand? From my point of view we make workouts to take less time and use exercises to fit as many purposes as possible, that makes the workout nice and hard, builds the necessary muscle and works out more than one muscle at a time.

To me at least isolations are things that I use as a add on, at the end of teh workout and not because of necessity, at least that is my philosophy. I mean right now I can't afford gym so I am working out at home, doing body weight exercises and I am being as creative as I can! No complaints!
wink.gif

What overtrains me could be cruising for you. Sorry, no exact formulas. Too many external factors. You have 7 exersizes on day B. Same as me right now, but later in this program, as weights increase, I may or may not have to knock off the isos to stay in the game, see?

I loved the intensity of yesterdays workout, I feel I pushed myself the most I have on this cycle, too bad I started to push myself only this late throughout. Was still discouraging as my lack of intensity led me to gain an inch on my waist (my pics in the picture section) so hopefully in two months the rest of my upperbody will grow enough to make the gut look tiny! Thanks guys.

getaway24

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I loved the intensity of yesterdays workout, I feel I pushed myself the most I have on this cycle, too bad I started to push myself only this late throughout. Was still discouraging as my lack of intensity led me to gain an inch on my waist (my pics in the picture section) so hopefully in two months the rest of my upperbody will grow enough to make the gut look tiny! Thanks guys. </div>

keep up the good work!

as a rule of thumb, how many reps wud u say i should stop before failure 1-2 correct?

yeah stop about 1-2 reps before failure, but remember, failure is not an evil thing, you can go to failure when you hit your RM, just not every single workout, doin good mate, get pumped up for your intense sessions ;)

Back