How does this look?

• Thread starter imported_getaway24
  • Start date
<div>
(getaway24 @ Jun. 02 2008,7:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My 1RM are

Bench: 180lb
Military Press: 125lb
Deadlift: 220lb
Squat: 280lb

Goal: Mass, looking to add about 15lb's by september.</div>
Dawaro wrote: &quot;Dont give up on deads. Drop your weight and improve your form. Most put deads right there with squats as the most effective movement you can do for both strength and mass.&quot;

And I've gotta agree. If you want to gain mass, you need to learn to do deadlifts. Deads are far and away the best exercise for adding mass. Deadlifts and lotsa food.

I'd added deads into my routine, I do them once a week, their just before my two day break before begining the weekly cycle again.

Now I have a question for the HST pro's here, I've been reading alot on rep ranges and I have two questions. If it's HYPERTROPHY specific, why is the most emphasis on the 5 rep range, shouldn't it always be between 8-12? If someone wanted to add an inch to their arm, wouldn't they acheive this faster by training in this rep range instead of the 5-7 rep range? I've tweaked my routine a bit so my isolations always reach 7-9 reps but still keep compounds in the 5-7 range, is this more beneficial for fast mass gains? which is what i'm aiming for.

Second question is about the rebuilding of fibers, do you get fatter when strength training because less size is put on when training for mass? Either case you have to eat above mainteneance so if your not getting much bigger but getting much stronger wouldn't that mean the extra cals would go to fat?

Second question is

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Now I have a question for the HST pro's here, I've been reading alot on rep ranges and I have two questions. If it's HYPERTROPHY specific, why is the most emphasis on the 5 rep range, shouldn't it always be between 8-12? If someone wanted to add an inch to their arm, wouldn't they acheive this faster by training in this rep range instead of the 5-7 rep range? I've tweaked my routine a bit so my isolations always reach 7-9 reps but still keep compounds in the 5-7 range, is this more beneficial for fast mass gains? which is what i'm aiming for.</div>

Read the FAQ i suggest.

this 'hypertrophy' rep range (like alot of 'bodybuilding' research) has been exaggerated to the limit. they (the researchers) based this 8-12 rep range on the MINISCULE elevation of GH levels when completing a set of 8-12. In fact, do 100 reps with a weight and you will get a massive GH influx, even more than u do with 8-12.
they picked this range because the weight was heavy enough to elicit hypertrophy and u got a temporary GH increase, not like the lower rep ranges.
BUT this slight and temporary increase isn't enough to do anything or cause any extra effect/hypertrophy. they exaggerated this increase in GH to mean that you should stay around this rep range for hypertrophy, due to the increase, and the loads being fairly heavy, but the GH level does NOT count for anythying here.

LOAD is the key, not rep ranges, and in fact, using your 1RM would elicit more hypertrophy than say your 5-8RM assuming you could get enough work in. but that's the thing, it's extremely difficult to get in the same amount of work with your 1RM, so Bryan has picked 5RM as a great heavy load that you
a) can get enough work in
b) can use very heavy loads and
c) can increase strength fairly easily

(these may or may not represent Bryan's reasons, however these are the reasons i believe he has picked the 5RM as the 'end' stage)

and then when you are gettin through the 5s, another way to elicit further hypertrophy is to keep increasing the loads by doing Negatives. this way, you can get sufficient work in WHILST getting much heavier, awesome for growth.

i suggest you read the FAQ and then read it again
biggrin.gif
it has taught me more about training for growth (or any sort of training in general) than my fitness course has, definitely.

Back