HST Program queries

I

imported_deviljace

Hey guys,
let me get the program right cause i am confused right now...
I first determine my 15RM ,10RM and 5RM.... that is by doing the weights i can do comfortably for 15 times for my 15RM ,10 times for 10RM and 5 times for 5RM...

then for 6 weeks, i do 15s for 2 weeks,10s for 2 weeks and then 5s for 2 weeks, I am to do 2 sets each of the days,i should on alternate days and weekends are restdays...

After Six weeks, I should have SD for 9 - 12 days,then i will start the program all over again but with added 5-10lbs to my
Rep Max.

Am i getting this right>??
dozingoff.gif

Dont forget about a 9-14 day sd after testing your maxes.

Hi deviljace and welcome to the forum,

After you find your maxes and take 9- 12 days to SD, you'll start your HST cycle using less weight than your 15 rep max and "Progressive Load" up for 2 weeks.

Example: Your 15 rep max is 100, so you would start your first day with a weight around 75

-M-W--F--M--W--F-

Let us know if your still confused and we'll help you out some more.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mikeh @ Oct. 27 2003,2:28)]Hi deviljace and welcome to the forum,
After you find your maxes and take 9- 12 days to SD, you'll start your HST cycle using less weight than your 15 rep max and "Progressive Load" up for 2 weeks.
Example: Your 15 rep max is 100, so you would start your first day with a weight around 75
-M-W--F--M--W--F-
Let us know if your still confused and we'll help you out some more.
OH!!!! THANKS ALOT GUYS!!!!
APPRECIATE U GUYS HELPING ME!!

M-W--F--M--W--F-

this is for 15rep max
so for my 10rep max is after the 2weeks of 15rep max
and it is also something like the above example??
am i correct??

Yes you got it
thumbs-up.gif

Example: Your 15 RM = 100, 10 RM = 125, 5 RM = 150.
6-weeks would look like this:

--------15----------|-----------10---------------|-------------5-------------|
75,80,85,90,95,100|100,105,110,115,120,125|125,130,135,140,145,150|

Here's a couple links from FAQ to help you.

setting up HST

What increments to use

[b said:
Quote[/b] (deviljace @ Oct. 25 2003,12:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I first determine my 15RM ,10RM and 5RM.... that is by doing the weights i can do comfortably for 15 times for my 15RM ,10 times for 10RM and 5 times for 5RM...

I wouldn't exactly call your max a weight you can do "comfortably". Your max should take everything you've got to get the desired number of reps.

I'm new here as well, and after reading all the docs, this particular post answered alot of my questions, but.....

Ok, we get our maxes for each RM

Ok, after the 1st week of 15's, do I start over with the begining weight again?

Meaning, Say..

100, 105, 110, 115, 120, 125 for week 1 then,

100, 105, 110, 115, 120, 125 for week 2 as well?

If that's correct, it just continues down the cycle until you finish the 6 weeks and do the SD period, right?

After the SD, you start off 5-10 lbs heavier for the next cycle for all beginning weights, right? Meaning, the next cycle would start off at 105 and move up from there.

It would seem, eventually, you reach a stage where you can no longer add weight as your cycles progress. I must be misunderstanding something here.

Well no its actually nothing like that. Considering that protein synthesis levels peak out at around the 36 hour mark, we roughly train 3x a week [45 hours between each session]. Roughly, without confusing you, ill plan out a cycle right here for you.

{the following is in pounds}

[Hypothetical 1rm = 100]
5 rep max = 85*
10 rep max = 75
15 rep max = 65

In order to find out our incremental values, we simply multiply our 5 rep max by 5% [.05]. This percentage roughly equates to a good value that will provide enough tension to signal mechanotransduction/the activation of satellite cells via myotrauma {i.e. - beating out the repeated bout effect}.

So we plan out three 2 week mini cycles for a variety of reaosns.

1) In terms of *beating out rbe* the acute frequency that we provide (in terms of myotrauma & metabolic factors) allows us to repeat loads whilst still rendering them effective. If myotrauma is not present, then the metabolic factors associated with higher local lactate levels gives us a myriad of possible hypertrophic benefit. Therefore, even though it is probably happening, every session of HST, DOES NOT have to give *more* myotrauma than a previous session for every consecutive session to be effective.

2) The *lighter weeks* give us the chance of allowing our cns to recuperate, therefore *prepping* us for heavier weight loads. Also, the slight dropping of overall repititions x load expierienced during lighter weeks allows us to neurally adapt to a set number of repititions, therefore, [in a sense] allowing us to adapt to the general fatigue associated with that number of repititions. [This fatigue DOES change when higher loads become present, its a matter of work (reps x load) and a myriad of teeny factors (neural drive, etc) which do not need to be addressed at this date].

So, using the example weight loads which I have presented before, I am going to provide you with a sample 6 week *traditional* hst cycle.

(5% increment)

>Previous cycle
Week 1. SD
Week 2. SD
Week 3. 15 reps - 1 - 40, 3 - 45, 5 - 50
Week 4. 15 reps - 1 - 55, 3 - 60, 5 - 65
Week 5. 10 reps - 1 - 50, 3 - 55, 5 - 60
Week 6. 10 reps - 1 - 65, 3 - 70, 5 - 75
Week 7. 05 reps - 1 - 60, 3 - 65, 4 - 70
Week 8. 05 reps - 1 - 75, 3 - 80, 5 - 85

Refer to the FAQ for a more *in depth* look at the plethora of other questions that you may have.

I think my post was confusing, as I used week one whereas I meant the 15 cycle, but you cleared it up very well. Thanks for the clarity. :)

As Mr. Haycock points out above, your Rep Max is not what you can lift comfortably. It is your MAXIMUM weight for a given lift in a given rep range. So in order to determine your RMs to begin with you should be fresh and focused, and use a spotter. Otherwise you won't be able to really push to your max without risk of injury. Determining your RMs will be several sets of trial and error in each rep range, so it's a workout in itself. That's why you take an SD break after that alone. And don't forget Weeks 7 and 8 for negatives after your 5 rep cycle, especially if you really want the fullest results from HST. :)

Back