HST with Clustering Log (goal: 148 to 160lbs)

Lol didnt mean to offend you mate, just making a harmless joke. I think we can all agree, that you know ab work doesn't reduce bodyfat.

Oh it's no problem, and I definitely understand that.

Just been working at this for awhile now and with so little to show for it, starts to get frustrating. And I'm not getting any younger.

Hypertrophy first, strength second - which I figure will be addressed in this program as the weights increase.

Have you tried the vanilla HST method yet for at least 2 cycles? I'd be very interested in how you'd fare doing a Simplify n' Win vanilla cycle pair with a big, fat SD in the middle. No - I lied. A sorta vanilla, extended HST. 15's, 10's, 5's, 3's, 2's, SD. Bench, Squats, Chins, Deads, Rows (don't care what flavor), Presses.

...and yes I do believe I have my diet in check.

First of have you had your testosterone levels checked during a physical? If your T-levels are ok then there is only one reason you are not gaining muscle . . . you just aren’t eating enough.

I re-read through your log and based on how you comment on things I’m pretty sure you are not gaining muscle because you just are not eating enough. Many of your comments point to a fear of putting on fat which no matter what you do is going to limit your muscle gains.

I was in the same boat as you 15 years ago when I lifted seriously for the first time. Having muscle definition was the only thing I had going for me so I didn’t want to gain fat. It took me 3 years to gain 30 lbs. By the time I started HST in December 2010 I had lost all 30 lbs. and didn’t want to take 3 years to gain it back. Everything I was reading said I just wasn’t eating enough so I committed to eating 500 kCal over maintenance every day with the goal of gaining 1 lb./ week. 32 weeks later I’d gained 30 lbs. my lifts went up like rockets and everyone at work was (hell still is) commenting on how big I’ve gotten. Yes I put on fat but did a PSMF and lost 7 lbs. of it in three weeks.

Also note that when bulking carbs can be your friend. Carbs are very anabolic as they provide the fuel your muscles need to build the proteins to grow. Many people can make gains on low carb diets but more carb doesn’t always hurt. If you don’t tolerate grains get them elsewhere.

Again to put it simply if you’re not gaining muscle with all the hard work you are doing you either have very low T levels and/or just aren’t eating enough.

Have you tried the vanilla HST method yet for at least 2 cycles? I'd be very interested in how you'd fare doing a Simplify n' Win vanilla cycle pair with a big, fat SD in the middle. No - I lied. A sorta vanilla, extended HST. 15's, 10's, 5's, 3's, 2's, SD. Bench, Squats, Chins, Deads, Rows (don't care what flavor), Presses.

Hey Tim,

I have thought about this but I figured what I'm doing is pretty vanilla - upping weights every workout, keeping overall volume very similar.

From what I gather w/ HST (although I've never been able to find a definitive answer on this) is that you do 1 set of 15's, 2 sets of the 10's, 3 sets of the 5's.. so you are keeping your volume somewhere around 15-20 reps every workout with progressively increasing weight. I accomplish this by sticking to 20 reps per exercise and increasing the weight every workout. I've also seen that you can alternate deads/squats which I'm doing for no reason other than to avoid overtraining.

In this log, the first plan I stuck to was this 20 rep variation of HST. And I had great strength increases and good body composition changes, but what probably held me back was diet. My views on this have changed a bit. I thought a slow, lean bulk was possible, but maybe that's just not in the cards for me.

-----

Quick question for you on your thoughts on a semi-vanilla extended HST - how many sets of those rep ranges would you recommend? Is the goal to keep volume consistent? That'd be impossible when you are doing sets of 2-3.

First of have you had your testosterone levels checked during a physical? If your T-levels are ok then there is only one reason you are not gaining muscle . . . you just aren’t eating enough.

I re-read through your log and based on how you comment on things I’m pretty sure you are not gaining muscle because you just are not eating enough. Many of your comments point to a fear of putting on fat which no matter what you do is going to limit your muscle gains.

I was in the same boat as you 15 years ago when I lifted seriously for the first time. Having muscle definition was the only thing I had going for me so I didn’t want to gain fat. It took me 3 years to gain 30 lbs. By the time I started HST in December 2010 I had lost all 30 lbs. and didn’t want to take 3 years to gain it back. Everything I was reading said I just wasn’t eating enough so I committed to eating 500 kCal over maintenance every day with the goal of gaining 1 lb./ week. 32 weeks later I’d gained 30 lbs. my lifts went up like rockets and everyone at work was (hell still is) commenting on how big I’ve gotten. Yes I put on fat but did a PSMF and lost 7 lbs. of it in three weeks.

Also note that when bulking carbs can be your friend. Carbs are very anabolic as they provide the fuel your muscles need to build the proteins to grow. Many people can make gains on low carb diets but more carb doesn’t always hurt. If you don’t tolerate grains get them elsewhere.

Again to put it simply if you’re not gaining muscle with all the hard work you are doing you either have very low T levels and/or just aren’t eating enough.

Read my mind actually. First thing on my agenda after this round of heavy-eating and lifting will be a T-level test if I don't see any results. Admittedly I was very self-conscious last year about gaining fat back after losing it. I thought a slow, lean bulk would work but I just ended up leaning out more. As I got more frustrated my training and diet became more haphazard and then I stopped seeing any sort of results.

I'm now discriminating in my diet now as long as I get my daily protein and calorie requirements.

iwealth said:
diet became more haphazard and then I stopped seeing any sort of results.

I got loose with my diet when I hit 165 lbs. and stagnated there for 3 weeks. It sounds like you are in the same boat as I’ve always been. If my diet isn’t perfect I just don’t make gains. And when I get lazy about my diet I usually tend to under-eat. Get your diet locked down and I think you will start seeing the gains you want. Note that you don’t have to eat 500 kCal over maintenance like I do 200-300 will help keep some of the fat off. I aim high since I have a physical job and the amount of energy I expend varies quite a bit so I try to eat on the high side just to be safe.

Quick question for you on your thoughts on a semi-vanilla extended HST - how many sets of those rep ranges would you recommend? Is the goal to keep volume consistent? That'd be impossible when you are doing sets of 2-3.

Hey IW - for your goals, I'd say 2 x 15; 3 x 10; 3 x 5; 2 x 2. The clutch sets in this setup for you are the 10's in my opinion. The 10's tow the line between strength and hypertrophy, and act as the glue in between the 15's and 5's. The 2's push the strength end of the equation, and honestly will set you up for SD quite nicely.

Hope that helps.

9/19/11 - BW 152 lbs

Atrainer flyes - 12.5 x 13+6+1
Reverse Grip Bench - 100 x 12+8
Pullups - BW-28lbs x 13+4+3
Press - 70 x 9+6+3+2
Dips - BW+5lbs x 10+5+5
DB Row - 55 x 12+8
BB Upright Row - 45 x 15+5
Deadlift - 155 x 7+6+8
DB curl - 25 x 11+6+3

Going to alternate between BB and DB bicep exercises. Added BB upright row.

9/21/11 - BW 154.6 lbs

Atrainer flyes - 15 x 9+7+4
Reverse Grip Bench - 105 x 10+6+4
Pullups - BW-16lbs x 10+5+5
Press - 75 x 10+5+4+1
Dips - BW+10lbs x 12+6+2
DB Row - 60 x 11+7+2
BB Upright Row - 55 x 10+7+3
Squat - 135 x 7+6+4+3
Smith Shrugs - 155 x 20
DB curl - 27.5 x 8+5+5+2

---------------

9/23/11 - BW 152.2 lbs

Atrainer flyes - 17.5 x 8+6+5+1
Reverse Grip Bench - 110 x 9+6+5
Pullups - BW x 9+5+4+2
Press - 80 x 7+4+4+4+1
Dips - BW+15lbs x 11+7+2
DB Row - 65 x 10+5+5
BB Upright Row - 60 x 10+6+4
DB Shrugs - 50 x 10+8+2
Tri Pushdown - 35 x 11+5+4

For quite a few reasons I'm going to a 4-day A/B split. I know it's early to be making a change but it's not really a big change and a necessary one nonetheless.

Day A
Atrainer Flyes
Flat bench
DB Incline Bench
Pullups
Cable row
Deadlift
Some curl

Day B
Press
BB Upright Row
Smith Shrug
Squat
Machine leg curl
Calf raise
Some tricep pushdown

-----

9/26/11 - BW 151.6 lbs

Lost a bit of weight. I admit Sunday was a tough diet day, and I under my calorie goal. Also went for a little jog. About 3 weeks ago I was at 149 and change, so I think I've made a little progress.

Atrainer flyes - doing these on a new machine, did one set of 20 reps.
Flat bench - 115 x 8+6+6
DB Inc Bench - 40 x 9+6+5
Pullups - BW+5 x 6+4+4+4+2
Cable row - also doing these on a new machine, says 60lbs, did one set of 20 reps
Deadlift - 165 x 8+6+6
Cable curl - 20 x 9+4+3+3+1

Workout felt great and I'm eating myself to the point of nausea today.

9/27/11 - BW 154.2 lbs

Got my weight back, glycogen/water I guess.

Press - 85 x 7+4+4+3+2
BB Upright Row - 65 x 8+5+5+2
Smith Shrug - 175 x 14+6
Freemotion Squat - 160 x 12+8
Machine leg curl - 50x20
FM calf - 160 x 13+7
FM tricep pushdown - 40 x 15+5

My gym has these Freemotion cable machines which look really expensive so I had to give a few of them a try. I thought the squat machine was innovative. If anyone cares here's a very short video of it: http://www.webmd.com/video/gym-smarts-free-motion-squats

I'll still do real squats one day/week. Deadlifts one day/week, but I was cooked from yesterday's workout. They have a Freemotion deadlift machine too...probably much less taxing than real deadlifts, so I'll do that Thursday and have more energy for the real squats on Friday.

Hey wealth,
I haven't used free motion cables before, but from my experience. Unless its an accessory exercise, which bench, squats and dead lift aren't. Then its probably better to just stick with the standard. From what i gathered from the video, its purpose is to fix the "joint angle alignment" that traditional squats have. Which is a bit of a gimmick considering that this issue can be fixed by simply adjusting your angle through high and low bar squats to find where is right for you.

The only reason I'd suggest using this is if your getting wrist or elbow pain from traditional squats. In which this exercise would be good to substitute in until your ligaments have been fully repaired. Just my 2 cents.

Hey wealth,
I haven't used free motion cables before, but from my experience. Unless its an accessory exercise, which bench, squats and dead lift aren't. Then its probably better to just stick with the standard. From what i gathered from the video, its purpose is to fix the "joint angle alignment" that traditional squats have. Which is a bit of a gimmick considering that this issue can be fixed by simply adjusting your angle through high and low bar squats to find where is right for you.

The only reason I'd suggest using this is if your getting wrist or elbow pain from traditional squats. In which this exercise would be good to substitute in until your ligaments have been fully repaired. Just my 2 cents.

I'm going to deadlift Monday and squat Friday. On Tuesday/Thursday I'm going to either leave them out entirely or try these machines. I didn't feel much the day after using that squat machine so the jury is out on it.

But once per week squat and deadlift is enough for me. I know some people do those exercises multuple times/week but I just don't have it in me.

9/29/11 - BW 155.4

Over 155 lbs, nice.

Atrainer flyes - 25 x 13+7
DB Inc Bench - 45 x 10+6+4
Pullups - BW+10 x 6+4+4+3+3
Flat bench - 120 x 8+5+4+3
Cable row - 80 x 14+6
Deadlift - 175 x 8+6+6
Cable curl - 35 x 13+7 (new machine)

Workout order got messed up today. Flat benches were taken for awhile. Didn't seem to hurt performance, although I did take longer breaks between exercises.

Did real deadlift today even though I didn't plan on it. Felt fine, but I hope it doesn't hurt me when I try to squat tomorrow.

Hated the Freemotion bicep curl machine, just going to stick to something more normal. Maybe just dumbbells going forward.

10/1/11 - BW 156.0

Press - 90 x 5+4+3+3+3+2
BB Upright Row - 70 x 7+5+4+4
Smith Shrug - 185 x 9+5+5+1
FM Squat - 180 x 8+5+4+3
Machine leg curl - 65 x 13+7
FM calf - 180 x 14+6
Tricep pushdown - 40 x 13+7

Didn't work out yesterday like scheduled. Feeling a bit beat up. Stuck with the Freemotion machine for squatting again today. Not a popular choice, but I have not been sleeping very well. Last place I want to be is under a heavy barbell right now. Maybe my body is having a hard time getting on board with the big eating.

Up about 4 pounds in BW. Getting close to my 5RM's already with some exercises. I think another two weeks and I'll be ready for a SD.

10/3/11 - BW 153.8

When I have a moderate-carb day my weight drops pretty dramtically. I guess carbs make me retain a ton of water.

Atrainer flyes - 30 x 14+6
Flat bench - 125 x 8+5+5+2
DB Inc Bench - 50 x 8+6+6
Pullups - BW+15 x 5+4+3+3+3+2
Cable row - 90 x 10+5+5
Deadlift - 185 x 8+7+5
Some cable curl - 42.5 x 10+5+5

Have pain in my left forearm when I release weight during a curling motion. Have had this for a long time. No pain during the exercise, just when I release the weight. (just did a search on this and apparently my exact condition here is extremely common - going to keep looking for a solution)

* Looks like this is a forearm splint. Much more common than I thought. Mine isn't too severe as the pain vanishes pretty quickly once I release the weight and I don't feel it afterward. So instead of resting it, I'm going to try some different variations of curl grips. I do not want to give up on bicep training altogether because my arms are tiny.

Last edited:
10/4/11 - BW 153.2

Press - 95 x 5+3+3+3+3+3
BB Upright Row - 75 x 10+6+4
Smith Shrug - 195 x 8+6+6
FM Squat - 200 x 6+5+4+3+2
Machine leg curl - 75 x 11+9
FM calf - 200 x 13+7
Tricep pushdown - 50 x 10+6+4

Made some form adjustments on the press and upright row that should help going forward.

I think I was keeping the weight too far out front when pressing. By working to keep the barbell back and head forward once the barbell passes my head on the lift, seems like I have much more strength to complete the reps. Figured this out about mid way through the sets. The weak part of this lift is from my chest to right above my head.

Also keeping the barbell closer to my body during the upright row with looser wrists. This eliminates some shoulder discomfort and makes the lift easier. And my delts felt like they were more targeted when done.

10/6/11 - BW 153.0

Workout did not feel great today. Not much sleep the past few days due to a lot of stress. Hoping that passes soon.

Atrainer flyes - 35 x 8+5+4+3
Flat bench - 130 x 6+5+4+4+1
DB Inc Bench - 55 x 6+4+4+4+2
Pullups - BW+20 x 5+3+3+3+3+3
Cable row - 100 x 7+5+5+3
Deadlift - 195 x 5+5+5
BB curl - 50 x 9+7+4

Pretty amazed my bench was so bad. I've done as high as 150x5 as recent as a few months ago. 130x6 seems really bad. Maybe those flyes take more out of me than I give them credit for.

Have to give up the DB bench next workout. It's just too difficult for me to get those 55lb dumbbells in position and I don't have a spotter. Plus the reps are very grindy and shaky. Not 100% sure what I am going to replace that with.

I was unexpectedly wiped before getting to the deadlift and it felt very heavy. I did 5x3 instead of working to 20 reps.

It's a constant struggle in these lower rep ranges. Sure it should get harder as the weights get heavier but it seems to get really hard very suddenly. And the aches and pains creep up instantly. Best way I can describe it is that my joints and bones feel totally overwhelmed by heavier weights. Particularly in push movements. We'll see how tomorrow and next week feel...assuming I can continue progressing with weights.

Your bench performance will suffer due to the pre exhaust set up with the flyes. just switch the order and you'll be fine. You may even want to consider dropping the iso moves and just concentrate on the compounds.

Your bench performance will suffer due to the pre exhaust set up with the flyes. just switch the order and you'll be fine. You may even want to consider dropping the iso moves and just concentrate on the compounds.

Yes I'm going to switch them up on Monday to get a fair assessment of where I'm at with the bench. Not totally convinced on giving up the iso's yet...going to finish up this cycle and see where I'm at.

Back