HST with Clustering Log (goal: 148 to 160lbs)

Week #6, Workout #26 (Monday, 2/28/2011)
Morning weigh-in: 153.6 lbs

Squat
160lbs x 5,5,5

Inc. Bench
120lbs x 10+4+3+3+3

Chinups
BW+12.5lbs x 7+15(10 sec m-time)

DB Shrugs
52.5lbs x 11+6+5+4

-----------

Thanks for the advice guys. First thing I'm going to do is see if using the max-stim style reps help manage the fatigue and potential overtraining. If there is absolutely no growth by the end of March, I'll drop the Wednesday barbell curls.

Also going to up calories a bit for March and ultimately just try to pig out. Perhaps being a nutrition nut is holding me back. Maybe I'm just the body type that needs to accept fat gain in order to grow. Could always do a dramatic diet (like UD 2.0 or something) later on.

Week #6, workout #27 (Tuesday, 3/1/11)
Morning weigh-in: 153.2 lbs.

Overhead Press
80lbs x 10+4+4+3+3

Inverted Rows
BW+5lbs x 10+5+4+4+4+3

Deadlift

160lbs x 5,5,5

Reverse Grip Bench

95lbs x 14+6+5+4+3

Maybe I'm just the body type that needs to accept fat gain in order to grow.
That would make you a 'normal' body type. When we grow, we put on both muscle and fat. Some folks tend to get a bit more of one than the other, but nobody puts on straight muscle and no fat. That's simply not gonna happen.

So we bulk, then we cut, and we bulk, then we cut. It doesn't hurt to be a little bit crazy...

Haha, yeah, I didn't mean to imply I wanted to be above average or beyond normal or anything. Some people do seem to be capable of putting on a good deal of lean mass during a clean, slow bulk. That just hasn't happened for me. Probably due to my tendency to stay toward the low end of the calorie range. Lean bulking requires too much dieting precision.

Full blown bulks followed by full blown cuts is a welcome change of pace. And I was 154 lbs when I woke up this morning, so here it comes :cool:

Week #6, workout #29 (Thursday, 3/3/11)
Morning weigh-in: 154 lbs.

Squat
162.5lbs x 5,5,5

Inc. Bench
122.5lbs x 8+15 (12 sec m-time)

Pullups
BW+12.5lbs x 6+11(10 sec m-time)+5(15 sec m-time)

DB Shrugs
55lbs x 11+6+5+4

I feel weaker and I am weaker on Thursdays compared to Mondays (same exercises). Makes sense I guess.

------------

Week #6, workout #28 (Wednesday, 3/2/11)
Morning weigh-in: ---

Barbell curl

57.5lbs x 8+17 reps (10 second m-time)

The barbell curls actually felt great for a change. 10 seconds between reps seems to be key. No pain, felt strong, just really satisfying overall.

Week #6, workout #30 (Friday, 3/4/11)
Morning weigh-in: 154.2 lbs.

Overhead Press
82.5lbs x 10+4+4+3+2

One Arm Rows
60 lbs x 15+6+4+4+4

Deadlift

162.5lbs x 5,5,5

Reverse Grip Bench

100lbs x 12+6+4+4+3

Switched to one arm rows and loved it. So did my back.

This weekend was full of alcohol and devoid of nutrition and sleep. My engagement party :cool: I may take tomorrow off to get in a full day of proper diet and a full night's rest. Trying to load up on good calories tonight..

Week #7, Workout #31 (Monday, 3/7/2011)
Morning weigh-in: 155.2 lbs

Squat
165lbs x 5,5,5

Inc. Bench
125lbs x 8+15 (12 sec m-time)

Chinups
BW+15lbs x 7+15(10 sec m-time)

DB Shrugs
57.5lbs x 8+15 (5 sec m-time)

Wow, broke 155 lbs. My nutritionless weekend was obviously not low-calorie. Even though I expect to drop a little weight tomorrow, I haven't seen 155 since I was on the way down from 167 over a year ago. This all means a gain of a little over 10 lbs from my low weight back in June I believe. There's a post in this thread somewhere where I weighed in at 144.6 that morning. Can't complain about a 10 lb gain! The squats are starting to feel heavy. Have used a 2 minute rest time between sets so far...may be time to up that.

Good thing then! I've been known to stare at the bar a few minutes just building up the nerve to step under it on occasion. :)
I don’t even look at the bar before or even during the lift except as needed to get in position. I don’t even think about the lift until I’m set and then I just think about my body moving through the lift. Otherwise it would psych me out. Same with running. I never want to know how far I have to go so I either look at the ground ahead of me, left and right at the scenery or develop that 1000 Meter stare and just focus on noting.

Week #7, workout #32 (Tuesday, 3/8/11)
Morning weigh-in: 155 lbs.

Overhead Press
85lbs x 9+14 (10 sec m-time)

One Arm Rows
65 lbs x 13+6+4+4+4

Deadlift

165lbs x 5,5,5

Reverse Grip Bench

105lbs x 11+6+4+4+3

Glad to hear everyone else feels the same way about squats.

Not sure if it is a form correction or what, but I can feel one-arm rows in my back like never before. And the pump is instant when finished. In the past this wasn't the case - almost felt nothing from these. So that is positive. The negative is that they are wiping me out big time before deadlifting. While my back is supported doing one-arm rows, it still requires a lot of full back tension/tightening. Will add some extra time between exercises in the future.

I test my blood sugar after workouts and it dropped like a rock after this particular workout. I like that...tells me I worked my ass off.

Week #7, workout #33 (Wednesday, 3/9/11)
Morning weigh-in: 155.4 lbs

Barbell curl

60lbs x 10+15 reps (10 second m-time)

My biceps are responding to this. Since my measurements in late July, I've added between .5-.75" to each arm. About .25" of that has come since switching to max-stim style reps a little over 2 weeks ago. Of course I've also increased calories quite a bit, and I'm 9 pounds heavier than I was in July.

More exciting for me though is the lack of pain during barbell curls. I do credit that to the individualized reps. Previously my left forearm would experience extreme discomfort.

Week #7, Workout #34 (Thursday, 3/10/2011)
Morning weigh-in: 155.2 lbs

Squat
167.5lbs x 5,5,5

Inc. Bench
127.5lbs x 8+15 (12 sec m-time)

Pullups
BW+15lbs x 5+8(10 sec m-time)+9(15 sec m-time)

DB Shrugs
60lbs x 7+16 (5 sec m-time)

For the first time during this cycle, I felt pain in my left arm. It initially occurred during the bench when pressing the bar off the clips. Pain seemed to be in the general elbow area. Also felt the pain, or more of a discomfort really during the pullups, particularly during the pulling motion, not as bad when just hanging. This cycle is at a crossroads - to continue or to SD. 7 weeks is huge for me with no pain, but I would have liked to get closer to my 5-rep maxes with all exercises. We'll see how it feels today, then I take the weekend off. Hopefully it rights itself and I can get a full 8 weeks in before taking a 9-day SD.

Week #7, workout #35 (Friday, 3/11/11)
Morning weigh-in: 155.6 lbs.

Overhead Press
87.5lbs x 10+3+3+3+2+2

One Arm Rows
67.5 lbs x 14+5+4+4+4

Deadlift

167.5lbs x 5,5,5

Reverse Grip Bench

110lbs x 10+5+4+4+4

Added 2.5 lbs to overhead press and gained a rep? Thought for sure I'd stall on this exercise first. Thrilled to say the least.

Didn't feel much if any pain/discomfort in my left arm during this workout. Going to give it a shot next week and see how long I can push this cycle.

Week #8, Workout #36 (Monday, 3/14/2011)

Squat
170lbs x 5,5,5

Inc. Bench
130lbs x 8+15 (12 sec m-time)

Chinups
BW+17.5lbs x 6+11(10 sec m-time)+5(15 sec m-time)

DB Shrugs
62.5lbs x 8+15 (5 sec m-time)

Went for a 2.5 mile run up and down some hills yesterday. First time I've run outside since the summer. The DOMS in my legs is unreal all day. Not sure why but I never get a shred of DOMS from squats. Anyway, the squats went really well despite the soreness. Great range of motion, good strength, felt like I was really using my legs today versus having to concentrate so much on keeping the rest of my body from crumpling under the barbell. Hopefully as my upper body and back continues to strengthen, my squats will become more and more leg intensive.

Also, no pain today in the left arm. Great sign. If I have it later in the week I may have to consider reducing the frequency of these workouts to 3/week rather than 4+an arm day.

Week #8, Workout #36 (Monday, 3/14/2011)

Squat
170lbs x 5,5,5

Inc. Bench
130lbs x 8+15 (12 sec m-time)

Chinups
BW+17.5lbs x 6+11(10 sec m-time)+5(15 sec m-time)

DB Shrugs
62.5lbs x 8+15 (5 sec m-time)

Went for a 2.5 mile run up and down some hills yesterday. First time I've run outside since the summer. The DOMS in my legs is unreal all day. Not sure why but I never get a shred of DOMS from squats. Anyway, the squats went really well despite the soreness. Great range of motion, good strength, felt like I was really using my legs today versus having to concentrate so much on keeping the rest of my body from crumpling under the barbell. Hopefully as my upper body and back continues to strengthen, my squats will become more and more leg intensive.

Also, no pain today in the left arm. Great sign. If I have it later in the week I may have to consider reducing the frequency of these workouts to 3/week rather than 4+an arm day.

You and I are in the same boat, brutha. I did some hill sprints last night after reading a bunch of Jim Wendler articles on elitefts --- duck walking today and cursing that brilliant sonofa...

Hill sprints are pure evil! Haha!

iwealth, have you tried parallel-grip chins? I find they are much kinder on elbow tendon insertions. I had a problem with mine for a couple of cycles after I hurt my arm helping a neighbour. Regular chins exacerbated the problem but p-grip chins were doable. I also did a lot of high-rep db hammer and regular curls to get a real burn in the area for the tendon health benefits to be had from flushing the area with lactic acid. Seemed to help me so it might be worth a try in your case too.

You and I are in the same boat, brutha. I did some hill sprints last night after reading a bunch of Jim Wendler articles on elitefts --- duck walking today and cursing that brilliant sonofa...

What is his recommendation based on? Better leg development, better cardio endurance, fatloss, all of the above?

What is his recommendation based on? Better leg development, better cardio endurance, fatloss, all of the above?

Yep, all of the above. Here's a good summary from the man himself:

"If given a choice, running hill sprints is my preferred method of conditioning. It taxes the lungs, legs, and most importantly, your mind. You get a big enough hill and you'll grow a big enough pair of balls after a year of running it. Three to four workouts a week on a big hill, done over the course of a year, will change your body and your mind.

Like many kids growing up in the Chicago area, Walter Payton was a huge influence. Not only was he a great athlete and person, his work ethic and commitment to his profession was legendary. Running hills was something that became synonymous with Payton and was often credited with giving him the physical and mental edge that made him great.

My mentor, Darren Llewellyn, first introduced me to hill sprints. He took me over to Sanders Hill in Northbrook, IL and had me run up and walk down until I felt queasy. I continued this regimen two to three days a week throughout high school and the strength, speed, and endurance I got from it were amazing. Legs got bigger and stronger. I got faster. And I was in incredible shape."

Yep, all of the above. Here's a good summary from the man himself:

"If given a choice, running hill sprints is my preferred method of conditioning. It taxes the lungs, legs, and most importantly, your mind. You get a big enough hill and you'll grow a big enough pair of balls after a year of running it. Three to four workouts a week on a big hill, done over the course of a year, will change your body and your mind.

Like many kids growing up in the Chicago area, Walter Payton was a huge influence. Not only was he a great athlete and person, his work ethic and commitment to his profession was legendary. Running hills was something that became synonymous with Payton and was often credited with giving him the physical and mental edge that made him great.

My mentor, Darren Llewellyn, first introduced me to hill sprints. He took me over to Sanders Hill in Northbrook, IL and had me run up and walk down until I felt queasy. I continued this regimen two to three days a week throughout high school and the strength, speed, and endurance I got from it were amazing. Legs got bigger and stronger. I got faster. And I was in incredible shape."

I want all of that! I wonder if setting a high incline on a treadmill would come close to accomplishing the same. Running outside tends to beat up my knees pretty good and there's no such thing as good knee discomfort. My limbs are lame. Left arm sucks, right knee sucks...glad my back works!

Hill sprints are pure evil! Haha!

iwealth, have you tried parallel-grip chins? I find they are much kinder on elbow tendon insertions. I had a problem with mine for a couple of cycles after I hurt my arm helping a neighbour. Regular chins exacerbated the problem but p-grip chins were doable. I also did a lot of high-rep db hammer and regular curls to get a real burn in the area for the tendon health benefits to be had from flushing the area with lactic acid. Seemed to help me so it might be worth a try in your case too.

I am going to see if I can find an attachment for my rack that will let me do the parallel-grip chins. Also going to try the lactic acid flushes. Thanks for the advice.

Back