Interesting dillema

Fausto

HST Expert
Guys

Of late I have been gaining some muscle particularly on my upper body (shoulder girdle, chest and lats), however my strength is waining like hell.

My bench sucks (85 and no more), Squats too (can't do much more than +/- 90 Kgs) although this is a cambered bar with handles, could this thing weigh more than 20 Kgs?

Is it because I skipped the 15's? Age? What the hell? I feel good though!
ghostface.gif

Will post pics one of these days!

coming back after SD? that's always a humbling time for me. good news is it only lasts a week or so.

Well, looks like it's time to hit the juice.

Hah, just kidding.

So how has the diet and sleep been lately? You did just move, so I could see how things might start slipping for a while until you get adjusted, but then again, maybe that wouldn't be a problem for you.

<div>
(Fausto @ Mar. 28 2008,07:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">...could this thing weight more than 20 Kgs?</div>
Weigh it! Seriously, put the bar on the gym scales (assuming your gym has some).

I weighed a bunch of 20kg plates at my last gym and found they were (not surprisingly) several pounds off in most cases. I was able to make a note of which plates would best balance a bar for deads so that it didn't end up 10lbs heavier on one side and was nearer to the load that I thought was on the bar.

My guess would be that your cortisol levels have soared due to added stress of moving to a completely new area of the world, with different cultures, mores, food, etc., along with being away from the family and temprarily being unemployed, looking for a new home and, perhaps, facing a career change. Those are among the highest stressors one can face in life other than death or divorce. Quite frankly, I would be surprised if your strength did not wane. The increased size may also be due to the stress adding more fat as opposed to LBM. It is likely that your bf% has increased. Anyway, hopefully these stressors will go away soon and you can get your cortisol levels lower and your T to C levels much higher. When you do, look for a spurt in strength.

im with o&amp;g on this one. its even possible to be stressed and not even notice it as you will feel some exileration from the positive aspects of moving as well.
unless your diet has changed could be an important factor.

just wait it out i think youll be fine.

As I'd logged, my strength went down lately too, finishing a highly detailed job (with one failed inspection, but that's normal) and a very slight calorie deficit. Are you really keeping up the cals? O&amp;G and Icars are right; even positive stress counts against you. I'd read that getting married is just as high in stress points as divorce.

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Mar. 28 2008,10:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My guess would be that your cortisol levels have soared due to added stress of moving to a completely new area of the world, with different cultures, mores, food, etc., along with being away from the family and temprarily being unemployed, looking for a new home and, perhaps, facing a career change. Those are among the highest stressors one can face in life other than death or divorce. Quite frankly, I would be surprised if your strength did not wane. The increased size may also be due to the stress adding more fat as opposed to LBM. It is likely that your bf% has increased. Anyway, hopefully these stressors will go away soon and you can get your cortisol levels lower and your T to C levels much higher. When you do, look for a spurt in strength.</div>
That’s my guess, too. Your lean body mass should now be lower than it was before you moved. Although we find such huge changes exciting, it’s really tough on the body.

When I moved to Brazil, I was surprised at how well I slept – despite the merciless heat. I felt much more alert during the day than usual. It feels good, but it’s not good for the body. The alertness is caused by extreme levels of cortisol and should go away within 1 – 3 months. And the move is only one stressor. Considering all the stressors you’re being exposed to, your situation isn’t that bad at all.

Well guys...that sounds somewhat better...confort8ing I guess.

I do however think that I may have &quot;screwed up&quot; by starting off alittle heavier than normal and skipping the 15's (who the hell did I think I was
wow.gif
) and now...I can't back out as the gym month by month is a bit expensive, I can't however change that as I am expecting a job interview down south in Wellington and it looks very positive so...gotta get on with it.

What now? Should I back down a little, I'm humble enough to take less weight and go back to 10's as I think I need to cut a little. O&amp; G's right (BF = 15.85%) and yeah the stress can't be helping although the gym is my friend (keeping my mind occupied).

As for Tot's question: <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So how has the diet and sleep been lately?</div>

Diet = good, been eating as lean as I can but been having quite a few lagers when off...de-stressers
biggrin.gif

Sleep = Much better, which could be adding up to the BW + BF increase, average 8 hours compared to 6 in at home.

Thnaks guys...knew I could count on you...more comments appreciated though...while I &quot;lick my wounds&quot;
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Mar. 28 2008,23:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am expecting a job interview down south in Wellington and it looks very positive</div>
Good luck in Wellington.
smile.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Back down. Lower the weights to 3 workouts back (1 week). It works for me. </div>

Yeah, thinking of doing this, some lifts still good though. Even the laagers, they cause extreme stomach acid build-up, bloody living on antacids...also not good!

DL - 100 x 5 x 1 and 120 x 5 x 2

Tried rack pulls the other day, but only managed 120 x 5 x 2 and 140 x 3 x1 (could not get the straps to work for me, seriously thinking of getting seatbelt material a la Riipetoe)
SQ - 85 x 5 x 3 (not good, used to be able to hit 100 x 5 x 3)
BP - 85 x 5 x 3 (not good, used to be able to hit 100 x 5 x 3)
MP - 40 x 5 x 3 ( I managed 70 x 5 x 3 before on a seated press, with very little help)

<div>
(Fausto @ Mar. 29 2008,17:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
SQ - 85 x 5 x 3 (not good, used to be able to hit 100 x 5 x 3)
BP - 85 x 5 x 3 (not good, used to be able to hit 100 x 5 x 3)
</div>

This is 15% difference.   It is too much.

Consider the difference in the weights of the actual plates.  

Throughout the year I use 2 different gyms and 3 different brands of plates.  I actually weighted plates of 20 kgr from different sets. The biggest difference I noticed between plate brands is 6%.  Ie, different brands/sets of weightas they have a nominal weight of 100 kgr.  But one set weights 96 kgr, while the other weights 102 kgr.  If you move to the heavier plates and your condition is not top, then it can be very frustrating.

6% is inexcusable. Even my cheaper plates from yard sales and such are very close to numbers. If I owned a gym like that I'd be drilling and welding weight or buying new ones.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This is 15% difference. It is too much.</div>

I don't seem to understand, what is 15%? I'm saying both my Bench Press and my Squat suck...big time...and the weights are and always have been about the same, unless of course I do a box squat, my BP then was 140 Kg, don;t know now.

I'm just bitching because my strength's gone, mate, that is all.

<div>
(Lol @ Mar. 28 2008,14:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Weigh it! Seriously, put the bar on the gym scales (assuming your gym has some).

I weighed a bunch of 20kg plates at my last gym and found they were (not surprisingly) several pounds off in most cases.</div>
No...Lol, afraid not, but I don't think that is too serious, I always take exact same plates on both sides, I've seen some guys taking different plates and from what I know from labs...well I just wouldn't do it!

fausto have you ever thought that maybe you might need a break (mentaly) after lifting for a long time sometimes you just get stale,taking a good sd or doing something different for a while,maybe just cardio cycling/running etc untill you feel the hunger coming back.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">He needs some more steak, milk and some quality NZ beer. </div>

Ah...ah...ah...so long as it's not Waykato Draught
laugh.gif

Been getting that...I am just going to lay off the heavy stuff...periodically, can't afford to SD now...gym's just too expensive to waste.

Gotta re-think.

Back