Is canned tuna safe?

Bryan Haycock

Administrator
Staff member
The current recommendation of the EPA/FDA for women and children is 1 can of tuna per week to avoid unnecessarily high intakes of mercury. I'm sure many of us bodybuilders are used to eating much more tuna, and from the number of bodybuilders currently registered as MENSA members, it might be a good idea to cut back a little. ;)

Here is a link to a list of different varieties of fish and the amount of heavy metals in them.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/sea-mehg.html

Good info Bryan but overall Canned Tuna (Chunk Light) still was lower in Mean PPM that a lot of other commercially available and mostly more costly alternatives, Roughy, Snapper, Halibut and even Lobster, so if I were to change my diet from my 1 can a day habit, oh my god I'm a Tuna Junkie :D , I guess I would have to go with Talipia, but that means I would have to cook it, heck with it I guess I have always liked Heavy Metal anyway.
laugh.gif

I remember thinking about this topic a few weeks ago, so I went to the FDA site. I found and article (I'll find it again if you like), that stated unless you're a hardcore shark eater, you most likely won't see any problems eating tuna. Regular canned tuna has a very low PPM in mercury, and I think the page gave a border of ~2lbs a week, and it said even if you ate that much, you'd be fine.

Well not very low, but low. From here :

"Consumption advice is unnecessary for the top 10 seafood species, making up about 80 percent of the seafood market--canned tuna, shrimp, pollock, salmon, cod, catfish, clams, flatfish, crabs, and scallops. This is because the methyl mercury levels in these species are all less than 0.2 ppm and few people eat more than the suggested weekly limit of fish (2.2 pounds) for this level of methyl mercury contamination."

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tom Treutlein @ Sep. 25 2004,4:10)]Just under five cans.
If eating 6 oz cans only 5 oz are edible so 6.4 cans in 2lbs. I eat that and sometimes a lot more, quite easily in one week.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tom Treutlein @ Sep. 25 2004,5:10)]Just under five cans.
If you do a search on the site this is the number extrapolated from the mercury data. IIRC .17 per can with a weekly limit of 1.00 rings a very faint bell.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cliner9er @ Sep. 27 2004,1:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tom Treutlein @ Sep. 25 2004,5:10)]Just under five cans.
If you do a search on the site this is the number extrapolated from the mercury data. IIRC .17 per can with a weekly limit of 1.00 rings a very faint bell.
Heh. I seem to remember that thread very well....:)

Back