Is HST for beginners?

totalnatal

Hi,

I wanted to start doing HST(I'm a novice) but some ppl said to me that to start HST I needed a strength base .Is it true?

Thanks

The only strength base you really need is to be aware of what your maxes are in the exercises you select for your first cycle. As a beginner these may be relatively light weights, and your strength will go up rapidly as your nervous system adapts. This is where it may get confusing being if you lay out a program for the next six - eight weeks, your scheduled weight increases may become laughable to you. As a beginner, you could likely do any basic program and get results, but why not start with the most effective way to get from Point A to Point B?

They got it backwards. If you're an experienced lifter, you may need HST to make progress.

A novice will get progress with just about any routine, HST included. But HST will work really well for you.

HST is the best system I've seen for beginners, even though it may seem complicated, once you understand it you'll see what I mean. It lets you build up slowly without trying to kill yourself physically like you might on any typical strength training routine. So the only reason anyone could give for it not being for beginners is that it may take a lot of reading to get it right. Even though it's designed for more experienced and practiced people, if you take the time to figure it out, you'll be glad you did. And I've never seen so many people on a website who know so much and are willing to tell you what you need to know. :)

You bet it is. I'll bet you'll be blowing past your maxes with ease each and every cycle with for the first year or so. Double and triple strength increases easily. You probably won't even hit failure in the first year.

The 15's portion is especially good for newbies as it allows them to practice correct form with little danger of injury.

It's the only method of training that I know of targetted specifically at hypertrophy, based on scientific studies focused on the same. Muscle is muscle, level of experience doesn't change that.
I just started my brother on a basic HST plan, I think that it's better for beginners than many other plans, like, say, Max-OT, which challenges beginners to push themselves for "maximum overload". This is probably not a good idea since beginners usually have pretty bad form. The light workouts at the start of and HST cycle help to improve form and strengthen connective tissue, which are two things that newbies are typically in great need of.

That said, I started my brother on leg press as opposed to squats, which is my favorite exercise simply because I planned it woth him on the phone and I won't be able to train with him as he is 5 provinces away.

Provided you have patience for details (being OCD helps) and don't lift to satisfy your ego, you should be able to reap the benefits of HST no matter what stage you're at. Good luck!
thumbs-up.gif
:

Hi totalnatal,

Depending on just how &quot;novice&quot; you are, you might find the program outlines in THIS" target="_blank">http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin....RL=http</a> thread helpful.

what I consider to be one of the major mistakes trainers make with newbies is that they give them all this fancy ####. Save the fancy #### till you need it. A newbie can make great gains just doing any exercise, even with high reps. So why not start off with reps in the 12-15 rep range to get the technique right etc and use linear progression. I am going to get rubbished for what I have said. But why not save the hst for further down the track? I am not saying hst wont work, but more a case of use it later. Same as other tricks like eccentrics, low reps, super slows etc. Save them till you start to plateau too.

Back