Is my diet ok ?

Louno

Hi,
id like to know what i could do to improve my diet.
Im trying to gain muscle without fat ( the best would be to gain muscle and lose fat).

I take 1 day off between each workout.

Breakfast : usualy im always in a rush in the morning, i take 2 slice of 100% whole wheat bread + 1 slice of fat free yellow cheese.when i have the time ( not very often ) i take 1 cup of fat free yogourt and/or 1 apple or banana or any fruit...

At work Between Breakfast and lunch : I take maybe 1 fruit or 1 cup of fat free yogourt...

For lunch : I was spending to much cash on restaurants so now what i do is go to the market next to my job buy a frozen pre-made prepared meal , like rice with fish, or pasta and chicken. Whatever i choose i try to make sure that the meal has 20g+ of protein and 7g or less of fat.
Also for lunch i eat a sandwich: 2 slice of 100% whole wheat , 1 sliced tomato and 1 slice of fat free cheese.

Snack ~1hour after lunch : i take 1 fat free blueberry muffin or 1 cup of fat free yogourt or a fruit ( pears or apples )

Pre-Workout shake : I mix, 1 glass of orange juice with 1 teaspoon of creatine and 1 scoop ( 22g ) of whey protein

Post-Workout shake :I mix, 1 glass of 2% or 1% milk with 1 scoop(22g) of protein, 1 teaspoon of creatine, 1 banana, 1 egg (whites), sometimes i might add either some fruit juice or 1 spoon of ice cream.

Dinner : always different but usualy either pasta or chicken or somekind of meat, with a small salad bowl . This meal on workout days is usualy taken about 1h before i go to bed.

I drink plenty of water during the day, try to sleep well and if i get up during sleep ill eat something real quick and simple like cheese or a fruit or a glass of milk. If i dont work out ill only have 1 shake :the Post workout drink. I also take 1 multi-vitamin each day.

Ive been following basicaly about the same diet for about 3 months when i started working out. I weighted 139 when i started, at some point i was doing 150lb, now im at ~145lb and i think did lose some fat.

Honestly i was expecting better results especialy since its a drastic change from my old diet, i was eating junk food every day / skipping meals / never eating fruits/vegetables and not caring about anything that i ate, but maybe its too soon to judge.

Im not doing HST btw. ( i will but since im a noob i wanted to use HST when im going to hit a plateau )

It looks to me like your diet is just one of your problems in your approach to gaining muscle. You say that you want to gain muscle while at the same time losing fat. Understand that this, while not impossible, is very hard to do. You must gain at least SOME fat to gain any significant amount of muscle mass.

You also say that you are not even using HST because you are a noob, but that is also a bad decision. Whether just starting or having 20 yrs. training experience, HST is the best way to pack on muscle. Take it from me.

Your best bet would be to study up, read the articles on nutrition on this site, then start counting calories, and START DOING HST!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (baby a @ July 20 2004,4:36)]It looks to me like your diet is just one of your problems in your approach to gaining muscle. You say that you want to gain muscle while at the same time losing fat. Understand that this, while not impossible, is very hard to do. You must gain at least SOME fat to gain any significant amount of muscle mass.
You also say that you are not even using HST because you are a noob, but that is also a bad decision. Whether just starting or having 20 yrs. training experience, HST is the best way to pack on muscle. Take it from me.
Your best bet would be to study up, read the articles on nutrition on this site, then start counting calories, and START DOING HST!!
worship.gif

Hi Louno,

I would suggest a little more protein... Simple things like adding fat free cottage cheese to your yogurt will help. Eating some scrambled eggs (1 yolk) with breakfast might work as well.

I would suggest trying to get 2,000 cals per day. Try to take in between 130-145 grams of protein. The additional protein will not only aid muscle growth, but it will also improve your metabolic rate.

I would suggest adding Omega-3s as well. Either fish oil caps or if that isn't possible, use 1 tbs of flax.

If you're trying to put on muscle, you should really use HST. After all, that's what HST is specifically designed for.

Hi,
thanks for the replies,

I wasnt aiming to gain muscle and lose fat even if it would be nice, i was more aiming to gain muscle without gaining fat (slight difference)...Why? Simply because its summer and im kinda skinny and i have a small belly ( i dont know why but all the fat on my body is concentrated in my stomach geez ) so putting on too much fat even if i gain a little bit more muscle didnt seem right to me, but during winter i guess i can eat alot more... Also i thought i would gain more because i went from doing absolutely no excersice sitting at my computer working and eating bad , to working out 3-4 time a week without ever skipping and eating right.

What do Omega 3s do exactly , I see this everywhere... are pills as good as liquid ?

My decision to not use HSt first was taken after asking some advice in these forums, some ppl said dont and i think it made sense... The main point was that as a beginner i would make gains very easely and quickly apparently, and even if with HST those gains would be better, it would be more worth it to wait until my progess seems to slow down and then start using hst.
Maybe i was wrong since i didnt gain much yet...

I guess i could eat a little more but i often feel very full... I was thinking that since now im eating strictly healthy food , compared to before when i was eating junk food 90% of the time, that this would make some results quickly...
My body is weird...

I took pictures of me after my first workout and pictures after 3 months ... there are some difference but not as much as i hoped... 1 more month of normal workout and then ill switch to hst ill take my 2 week SD when i leave for vacation in august, the timing is perfect...

Back