Korte's program

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 03 2007,22:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Steve-
How on earth you got as big you are without steroids I'll never know. Many guys couldn't get as big even with steroids. It just goes to show how extremely important genetics really are.
I am one who has to struggle not to be a stringbean.</div>
Genetics really do play a huge roll... and your thyroid.

Yes, genetics are more important than anything else, both to natural lifters like me and to drug users.  

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">One question on your extraordinary strength, Steve: how did you gain it? Mainly with HST and 5x5? As far as I've followed the threads on this forum, your transformation into a PL and thus corresponding interest for PL-programs like Korte's is relatively new, ain't it?</div>
I don't have extraordinary strength, at least not compared to the guys I'll be competing with pretty soon.  I have used MN,Dogcrap,Westside,5x5, a 4day per week Tsautoline (sp ?) routine, HST, and Korte. In my opinion, my genetics are good for strength, but they are far from world class, and they kind of suck for bodybuilding. I readily admit, however, that I am gifted when it comes to the deadlift.  I still remember the first time I ever deadlifted as a teenager.  I pulled 455, which isn't like an Andy Bolton kind of strength, but quite a bit stronger than most.  

My advice to anyone who is trying to gain strength is to EAT, get on a good program like HST or 5x5, and just see how far your genetics take you.  I can't offer you much more than that.

<div>
(stevejones @ Apr. 04 2007,15:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My advice to anyone who is trying to gain strength is to EAT, get on a good program like HST or 5x5, and just see how far your genetics take you.  I can't offer you much more than that.</div>
I think that's all you really need to say Steve. Everything else is just AAS!
biggrin.gif

Well, my question might have sounded a bit naive, but with more than 10 years of experience in lifting I'm not really a novice. So maybe you got a wrong impression: I'm not searching for a golden program - which undoubtedly doesn't exist - but I'm truly amazed by your strength level, Steve. Sometimes modesty is a sin and its definitely a sin in your case. If i didn't overread something, you lift without juice, without equipment, so deadlifting 790 lbs is a damn spectacular weight (so is 700 lbs for raw squatting) . Geez, you are nearly as strong as Coleman. And whoever youre goin to compete with will be on gear. Im pretty sure, you will push boundaries a lot further on gear than now. What was your weight and at which height?

Yeah, well...remember, Ronnie is just a bodybuilder.  He doesn't train strictly for strength, and that video of him doing 800x2 touch n go was....I forget...5 weeks out of the Olympia or something ?  I mean he was cut and doing that, pretty awesome.  He's pretty gifted.  If he trained as a powerlifter he might do well enough to rake in 700 bucks a year, lol.  

Seriously though, it's easy to be humble when you compete.  There are some pretty strong guys at these meets, and my only &quot;eye popping&quot; lift is the deadlift.  There is nothing special about my squat or bench press.  It has been so long since I've done a parallel squat that my ATG max probably isn't too far from my parallel max.  Anyway, I plan on increasing my stage presence at state powerlifting meets, and eventually competing in nationals.  I want to break the national deadlift record in the usapl.  Right now I'm 6' @ 258, and I'm almost certain that I won't be able to get 242 and simultaneously be strong enough to win, so will have to compete in the 275lb class (856 lbs).  That is discomforting to me because I truly dislike being heavy.  I've been there and done that, it's no fun.  However, I just lose all kinds of strength when I diet down.  Wish there was a 255 weight class.

As far as AAS goes, if I really thought that I was gifted enough to break a world record at the deadlift if I took drugs, I would probably do it, but I know that's not the case.  The difference between pulling 800 and 1000 pounds is....like the difference between pulling 200 and 600 pounds maybe? Strength increases just come so slowly as you move higher up the scale.  So, drugs won't ever be an option for me until I get to an age where my test levels have dropped significantly below where they are now and won't ever return (so i'm guessing somewhere around 50 yrs).

stevejones, you're an animal my friend. I'm sure most, if not all, of the powerlifters you'll be competing with would get buried trying to squat what you squat. A squat is all the way down, full range of motion, hams on the calves, not those parallel squat/good mornings you see powerlifters do.

Besides you'll be able to squat about 150 or 160 lbs more with a suit. And in a raw competition you'd be in the first lane with your lift, too. Seriously, for a natural athlete your a hell of a strength machine.
mad.gif
You won't convince me of the opposite.
By the way: i forgot to ask what MuscleNow is. I've never heard of it before.

Thanks guys

MuscleNow is a program developed by Francesco Castano ---  www.musclenow.com

You pay for it (don't know how much he charges now). While his physique is impressive and he's a natural, I DO NOT recommend the program. In my opinion, his program doesn't give you enough recovery time, and you train to failure way too often.

Don't be a stranger, drop us a line or two about your training every once in awhile. I would be quite interested in how Sheiko's program treats you.

MoDog; MuscleNow is actually sort of Mentzer-like, since you train to secondary failure in all lifts, where you can't move the bar 2&quot; anymore. Short rest times and as Steve said, no recovery; not many guys over 30 stay with it. His dietary schedule is awesome though, if you're one of those who don't mind spending more time counting every c/p/f and calorie than you do eating. And it's a different schedule for offdays, and another for cutting and it's on and off days.
Some pretty nice people there though, but only a few real lifters and you have to pay to join the forum. Slapshot and I were free because of transformations. If they use your B&amp;A pics in the ad (scroll down and see mine) they let you in the forum free.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Jan. 27 2007,12:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I was researching strength progams lately and found Korte's 3x3 program to be interesting.

He recommends high-volume and simply training the big three, three times/week. (squat/bench/deadlift) with progressive loading.

While I am not going to follow the program, I find the idea of doing a few basic lifts every workout to be simple and in line with the S.A.I.D. principle.

There are only 5 lifts which I really want to get strong on and I am thinking of just doing those 5 lifts 2 to 3 times/week with progressive loading for strength.

The lifts are:
Squat
Deadlift
Dips
Chins
Overhead Press

Obviously the one possible problem is that doing squats/deads every workout is extremely taxing on the lower back and CNS.  I was thinking that maybe keeping volume reasonably low and only exercising twice/week would solve this.
Korte's program interested me because it is so simple, and the fact that he advocates squats/deads every workout, which is rarely seen in most programs.

Another solution would be to alternate the squats/deads, but I don't want to do this unless I have to.</div>
SM,

If you replace squats with snatch squats then your lower back can be spared some, and you could skip the overhead presses because the snatch squats work the delts nicely.  Check out the delts on some of the leaner olympic weightlifters.  

Or, you could replace the squats with front squats to spare your lower back somewhat.  in that case you would keep the overhead presses.  

Dips and pullups are excellent choices of course.

Food for thought.

Paul

Back