Lesson from the Amish

[xeno]Julios

http://tinyurl.com/3e7xw

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Forget the Atkins diet. Try the Amish diet.

New research shows that Old Order Amish -- a religious group who shun technology -- have an obesity rate of only 4 per cent despite a meat and potatoes (and pie) diet.

Their secret: physical activity in the form of hard work and walking. Lots of walking.

The study, published in this month's edition of the journal Medicine & Science & Exercise, found that Amish men walk an average of 18,425 steps daily, and women an average of 14,196 steps.

One man logged an incredible 51,000 steps in a single day while plowing fields behind a team of horses.

In studies done in mainstream Canadian and U.S. society, adults tend to log about 2,000 to 3,000 steps.

"The Amish are lean because they easily do six times more physical activity than people living in the modern society that surrounds them," said David Bassett, a professor of exercise science at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, and lead author of the research.

He said the study was conducted to get a sense of how modern technology has altered physical activity levels.

The Amish living in a small southern Ontario community were ideal subjects because their lifestyle is virtually the same as it was 150 years ago.

"The Amish consciously think about the impact that technology could have on their daily lives," Dr. Bassett said. "That's something all of us should do. It doesn't mean we have to turn back the clock and live like farmers. But it does tell us we should make a much more conscious effort to be active if we want to be healthy."

The study, which was conducted by equipping 98 adults with pedometers and having them answer questionnaires, revealed that the Amish men perform 10 hours a week of vigorous physical activity (tossing bales of hay, shovelling, digging and plowing), 43 hours of moderate activity (gardening, feeding animals) and 12 hours of walking. Women perform 3½ hours of vigorous physical activity, 39 hours of moderate activity and six hours of walking weekly.

While the research did not include a nutritional component, Dr. Barrett quoted earlier studies showing the Amish diet chiefly consists of meat, potatoes, gravy, cakes, pies and eggs; they also eat fresh fruit and vegetables with every meal. They ingest about 3,600 calories daily, 50 per cent more than the general population.

Yet, despite a diet rich in fat and refined sugar and high in calories, the Amish have extremely low rates of heart disease and cancer.

Various health authorities in Canada and the United States recommend that adults do 30 to 60 minutes of moderate physical activity daily, a modest goal that most North Americans do not achieve.

In Canada, almost half of adults are overweight, including 15 per cent who are obese. In the United States, three-fifths of adults are overweight and 30 per cent are obese.

Among the Amish in the study, 25 per cent of men were overweight and none were obese. Among the women, 27 per cent were overweight, including almost 9 per cent who were obese.

Michael Sharratt, the dean of applied health sciences at the University of Waterloo, said that the general population can take an important lesson from the new research: that it is essential to incorporate physical activity into daily living.

"We've taken a culture of physical activity and created a culture of sedentary living," he said.

"It's no wonder we have an obesity epidemic."

The Amish are a Protestant group that originated in Switzerland but came to North America in 1727. Their beliefs and lifestyle emphasize humility, nonviolence and traditional values and their rules ban the use of gasoline-powered transportation, electricity and other modern conveniences.

Intersting stuff. The really interesting thing to me though is why people can't figure this stuff out on their own....

heh yeah - as one person i showed this to said:

"So... are they saying that they now think EXERCISE can keep you from getting FAT? No way!"

what i found particularly interesting was the average caloric intake of these people - 3600 calories!

Its just sad that we have to pay some graduate student to do a study to tell us that people that work hard each day don't get fat because they work hard each day.
dozingoff.gif

You'd be surprised at the sort of rubbish being churned out these days.... and some of these get funding too....

Too much hypocrisy and white-washing in the healthcare industry... it's tragic.

I have to wonder how much of it is due to not eating alot of processed foods. I admit, I don't know much of the Amish's eating habits, but don't they grow most of their food, make their cheese, etc? (or am I mistaken?)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dianabol @ Jan. 25 2004,10:28)]You'd be surprised at the sort of rubbish being churned out these days.... and some of these get funding too....
Too much hypocrisy and white-washing in the healthcare industry... it's tragic.
I found this to be a very startling and informative read:

http://www.healthmatters.org.uk/stories/morgan.html

a teaser:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]According to standard economic theory the behaviour of private firms is driven by the desire to make as much money as possible. For drug companies, which have extraordinarily high fixed costs and low variable costs of production, the route to profitability is through sales.

At least part of the selling process in the pharmaceutical industry involves creating and disseminating scientific evidence about the merits of a product. In an ideal world, corporate investment in clinical research would facilitate prescribing decisions based on objective evaluations of scientific evidence on safety, efficacy and cost-effectiveness. Reality, alas, intrudes.

Pharmaceutical companies are not educational charities, investing in disinterested product evaluation. Science and objectivity are of interest to a private, for-profit corporation only insofar as they further the drive for profits. In fact, to the discomfort of many economists, economic theory does not rule out destroying scientific information or producing false information as a means of pursuing the profit objective, just as it does not rule out contaminating the environment, using child labour or selling known carcinogens. Consider, for example, the long and sordid history of the tobacco industry.

In the pharmaceutical sector, it may be profitable for a firm to promote bias in the creation, evaluation and dissemination of information so as to encourage sales – provided that such behaviour is either undetected or carries penalties that are outweighed by its profit potential.

Well of course there's a lot of people out there who lie to make a buck, but that's the way it is in evry aspect of life. Some people and corporations hold themselves to a high moral standard and some do not. If one cannot use his own knowledge and also thje many avenues availbale in this day and age to obtain knowledge to make informed decisions, then too bad.

Caveat emptor :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Money tends to be the root of all evil...
Not trying to nit-pick, but the original Biblical text actually reads "The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil." The only reason I bothered to respond is that I just finished a study on New Testament Textual Criticism and had to go through a bunch of "problem passages" like that. Interesting stuff.

Anyway, yeah I live south of Lancaster and see Amish people all the time. Another thing that's strange is how tall they all are, even the women. I wonder if part of it's b/c w/o electric light they actually get the 8 hours of sleep most of us don't.

ROFL you guys. And less processed food means you burn more calories, too. Think about it, 20 seconds of standing in front of your microwave waiting on your nuclear dinner to warm up after you spend 5 seconds and the effort to open the freezer door. OR. Walk your behind down to the root cellar to grab some potatoes, scrub all the dirt off for ten minutes (not done for you like the potato factory does, lol). And then get some wood from out back to fire up that iron monster they call an oven, and so on... And that's just for the side dish. Let's not consider the even less appealing aspects of chicken butchering and such. And they ARE tall, aren't they? "Even the women". lol :)

Back