Lol's New HST Log

Overhead squats are certainly challenging (and humbling), but they do grow on you...
biggrin.gif

<div>
(DanOz @ May 23 2007,03:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've gotta ask - why? What will overhead squats achieve for you?</div>
Did you read this article?

Dan John's fab OHS article. )

Wednesday's session (23/05/07):

Feeling generally weak – nowhere near enough sleep this week so far.

Front Squats: 1 x 15, 1 x 12, 1 x 10 x 80kgs (15 reps with 80kgs is a PB - well, I'm new to these babies so everytime the load goes up it's a PB!)
Dips: 2 x 20, 1 x 15 x bw+25kgs
Chins: 1 x 15, 1 x 12, 1 x 10 x bw+10kgs
Press: 1 x 14, 1 x 12, 1 x 10 x 47.5kgs (Cheesed that I didn't get 15 with the first set. Then remembered that I did 3 sets yesterday morning.)
Curls: 1 x 15 x 43.5kgs

Pretty pleased considering. Just Friday's deads to look forward to now and then I can put the 15s behind me for another cycle.  
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Lol @ May 23 2007,07:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(DanOz @ May 23 2007,03:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've gotta ask - why? What will overhead squats achieve for you?</div>
Did you read this article?

Dan John's fab OHS article. )</div>
Thanks mate - never done those bad boys, damn they look hard. Not a lot of room for error I'm guessing. I'll leave them to you!

Friday's session (25/05/07):

Feeling pretty good.

Deads: 1 x 16, 1 x 10, 1 x 8 x 140kgs (308lbs)

Woohoo! New PB. (four reds and two greens) I was planning on going for 130 and then I thought what the hey! 140 wasn't too bad either. Stopped at 16 as I knew I was going to do another set or two.

DB Press: 1 x 20 x 30.5kgs (67lbs), 1 x 20 x 33kgs (72lbs), 2 x 15 x 35.5kgs each (78lbs each).

Decided to do more sets as the first two felt a bit too easy for my 15RM w/o. Right AC joint twinged a little but not too bad. Still not really heavy enough. Probably should try for 40kgs next time around.

Chins: 1 x 15, 1 x 12, 1 x 8 x bw+12.5kgs

Press: 1 x 14, 1 x 12, 1 x 10 x 50kgs

Didn't get 15 reps but I'm not bothered as I did more bench presses than I intended which definitely impacted on shoulder strength.

OK. So that's the end of 15s. I did more volume than I thought I would but I feel great. It's so nice to be eating again after four months of cutting. I am feeling stronger again already. I reckon I could have got 20 reps on the deads if I had to, so that's pleasing.

Onwards and upwards!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Deads: 1 x 16, 1 x 10, 1 x 8 x 140kgs (308lbs)

Woohoo! New PB. (four reds and two greens) I was planning on going for 130 and then I thought what the hey! 140 wasn't too bad either. Stopped at 16 as I knew I was going to do another set or two.
</div>
Bring on the pain!
mad.gif

Monday's training got messed up due to work. Crazy hours right now working on a DVD project. Managed to get some deads in today but that was it. Feeling like I'm getting a bug too. I'm averaging about 4 hours sleep a night at the moment which sucks.

Anyway, today (29/5/07):

Deads: 3 x 10 x 140kgs (308lbs)

That's it!
sad.gif

Wednesday 30/5/07

Still unable to get time for a full workout and still feeling a bit under-the-weather (as we Brits say). But, yeah, better than nothing.

Chins: 3 x 10 x bw+15kgs
Dips: 1 x 10 &amp; 2 x 12 x bw+30kgs

Also, been attempting to improve form for cleans and overhead squats with light weights. I don't feel in control doing OHSs yet. I'm trying to learn good clean form from Rippetoe's book. How the heck some Oly lifters manage to clean 85% of their 1RM deadlift weight is totally beyond me right now. But then you see Dimas lifting and you know it's true. Awesome.

Thursday 31/5/07

Presses: 3 x 10 x 52.5kgs

Pendlay Rows: 3 x 10 x 76kgs

Tri Extensions: 3 x 10 x 36kgs

Bi Curls: 3 x 10 x 46kgs

Friday 01/6/07

Decided to do some power cleans. I need to improve my form as I'm very new to these. Also, trying to get used to the hook grip. At the moment it feels very strange.

Power Cleans:

1 x 3 x 40kgs (plus 3 front squats between each rep.)
1 x 3 x 50kgs (plus 3 front squats between each rep.)
1 x 3 x 60kgs (plus 3 front squats between each rep.)
1 x 3 x 70kgs (plus 3 front squats between each rep.)
1 x 3 x 80kgs (plus 5 front squats between each rep.)
1 x 4 x 90kgs (plus 5 front squats between each rep. – NB. 90kgs is a PB.)
1 x 0 x 95kgs – feeling tired now but wanted to try a bit more. Oh well, next time I'll get it.

First time I tried 90kgs the bar flew up much faster and higher than expected. It just felt right. None of the other attempts felt as good. It may not be long before I can clean 100kgs.

Deads: 1 x 10 x 145kgs
Pretty easy, even after all the cleans and front squats. No need for straps. Grip was really strong.

Monday 04/06/07

Generally pretty tired after a busy weekend spent helping a friend reconstruct his house after he discovered several important structural beams were riddled with dry rot. It was cool to be able to put some of this 'ere hard earned strength to good use in a really helpful way.

Traps still sore from cleans on Friday.

After warm-ups:

Deads: 2 x 10 x 150kg, 1 x 5 x 150kg (330lb)

Dips: 2 x 10 x 45kg (99lb)

Chins: 2 x 10 x 20kg, 1 x 5 x 20kg (44lb)

Tried a chin with 45kg and managed one rep! Cool. Never tried that before.

Presses: 2 x 10 x 55kg, 2 x 5 x 55kg (121lb)

Not a bad workout considering. Grip w/o later.

Thanks Liege.

Power cleans are great except, at present, I'm having to lower the bar under control. Got it wrong one time last Friday and dropped 90kg (198lb) on my right thigh. Nice big bruise from that.

I have a ways to go before I get the technique sussed. The one 90kg lift that flew up was so much better than the others. I must have got it more right than wrong that time.

My goal right now is to clean 105kg (231lb) as Rippetoe says a lot of lifters get stuck at 100kg (220lb) and can't get 105kg. (He's probably talking about the girls he trains, but no matter!  
laugh.gif
). I have been watching the Pyrros Dimas' training vid to try to get my brain to remember the moves. Darn he's so quick and so powerful. Power cleaning 170kg (374lb) and making it look easy!

Edited to add in pound conversions for GatorDude  
smile.gif

Thanks for the kilo to pounds conversions. Even though a lot of us westerners know our metrics, I'm not one of them lol. I don't know exactly what 100 kg's are for your cleans, but I know back in the high school weightlifting comp. days 225 lbs. was always the milestone I could never quite break. I think the most I ever cleaned and jerked was 205.. and might have got 215 just cleaning one day.

Oh the days
wink.gif
, great job on your lifts.

I hate when I can't use bumper plates, last time I squat cleaned 111k and had those same bruises on the upper thighs, but hey, they go well with the bruising on the collar bone.

Back