Lol's New HST Log

I'm watching this log with great interest. Now I find myself wanting to do overhead squats and power cleans...

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jun. 06 2007,17:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm watching this log with great interest.  Now I find myself wanting to do overhead squats and power cleans...</div>
Nothing like being watched to make you try a little harder.  
wink.gif

My wrists are taking a serious beating from the power cleans right now. Hopefully, they will begin to toughen up as my cycle progresses. We'll see...

Wednesday's session (06/06/07):

Front Squats: 1 x 15 x 40kg, 1 x 10 x 60kg, 1 x 8 x 90kgs (198lb)
Wrists totally shot so decided to call it quits there. Not really working my legs hard so far this cycle so must try to get my rack sorted. Darn.

DB Bench Press: 2 x 12 x 36kg (79lb), 1 x 10 x 41kgs (90lb) each db

Pendlay Rows: 2 x 10 x 85kg (187lb), 1 x 6 x 90kg (198lb)

Press: 1 x 8, 1 x 8, 1 x 6 x 60kg (132lb)

Left shoulder wimped out well before right so need to address that during 5s.

Object lesson: This has all happened because during my 4 month cut I couldn't do standing presses due to my left forearm strain. I used a machine with a parallel grip. Great machine but because the movement arm was connected between left and right sides I was obviously pressing harder with my right than my left without being aware of it. Darned annoying because it had taken a year for my left to catch up with my right. Anyway, back to free wights for the foreseeable future.

Tri Extensions: 3 x 10 x 41kg (90lb)

Curls: 1 x 15 x 41kg (90lb) (too light by mistake!), 2 x 10 x 46kg (101lb)

DanOz: Cheers mate. There's still some left in the tank for Friday. Might try for a few PBs then. Left shoulder is likely to let the side down though.

Colby: Difficult to say at this point as the loads are only just getting there. I think I am feeling a bit less fatigued but it's a job to say really as my sleep has been rubbish of late. Definitely got a good feeling today from yesterdays's workout. I feel like I'm growing! Whole body is tight apart from quads.
smile.gif

If it's not one thing it's another! Just got a call from my local hospital to say I have to go in for some minor surgery next Wednesday to have a small lump removed from my lower back. Been expecting the call for a while now. That's going to completely mess up my cycle.

Oh well, the sooner I get it over with the better. Hopefully, after a couple of weeks I'll be back at it again.

At least I'll get to finish 10s tomorrow and get one session of 5s in on Monday.

Friday 08/06/07

In view of the fact that this cycle will be spoiled I thought I might as well push it a bit tonight. (Thanks for the well wish Liege).

After warm-ups:

Deads: 1 x 10 x 160kg (PB), 2 x 5 x 160kg (352lb)

Pretty pleased with that. I think my new 10RM would be about 165kg as I still had a few left in the tank at 10 reps with 160kg.

Dips: 1 x 10, 1 x 9 x 50kg (110lb)

Chins: 1 x 10, 1 x 9 x bw+22.5kg (49.5lb)

Left forearm complained about the chins as I went a bit too low. It'll probably hurt like hell tomorrow.

Had to stop there as a mate popped by, so will finish off tomorrow.

Interestingly, the exrx.net 'one-rep max calculator' reckons I should be able to do over 210kg for my 1RM based on 10 x 160kg. I somehow doubt it very much but I may try 200kg before I go in for my op.

<div>
(Lol @ Jun. 07 2007,11:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If it's not one thing it's another! Just got a call from my local hospital to say I have to go in for some minor surgery next Wednesday to have a small lump removed from my lower back. Been expecting the call for a while now. That's going to completely mess up my cycle.

Oh well, the sooner I get it over with the better. Hopefully, after a couple of weeks I'll be back at it again.

At least I'll get to finish 10s  tomorrow and get one session of 5s in on Monday.</div>
Godspeed on your surgery, lol.  I'm assuming it's local and not general anesthesia, right?  If that's the case, your lost gym time should be minimal.  Get yourself a pair of hand grippers, and enjoy the rest.

I wouldn't recommend tearing phone books in half like Jonesy, though
tounge.gif

Monday 11/06/07

Easy day!

Overhead Squats: 3 x 3 x 40kg, 2 x 3 x 45kg, 2 x 3 x 50kg (110lbs)
Really need to practice these. I am starting to be able to keep my balance better and get a good amount of depth. Feeling a lot of strain on my shoulders though. Wrists still knackered and giving me gyp even with these light loads.

DB Bench Press: 1 x 10 x 36kg (79lb), 2 x 5 x 41kgs (90lb) each db

One-arm Rows: 2 x 10 x 36kg (79lb), 4 x 5 x 46kg (101lb)
Fancied a change.

Press: 3 x 10 x 50kg (110lb)
Again with the wrists! Darn weak things. Took it easy but better than nothing.

No workout with OH squats can be called &quot;easy&quot; mate.
biggrin.gif

Keep it up and soon you'll be strong enough that you'll have to push-press the weight up there to do OH squats.

Wednesday 13/06/07

Just before I had to leave for my op today I managed to get 5 minutes to try some deads.

I worked up to 180kg (396lb). It flew off the floor! Surprisingly, it was much easier than I expected. Then I realised that I hadn't bothered with straps or a belt either. Don't think I've ever lifted 180kg without straps before so that was even more pleasing. My grip was rock solid. Just didn't have time to take it further.

Op went well and now, apart from a little soreness and a handful of stitches in my lower back, I feel pretty good about continuing my cycle. I'll just have to avoid stretching that area too much for a few weeks.

Really hoping I can still try for 200kg before the end of this cycle. Just hope my strength doesn't drop off too much over the next couple of weeks of reduced activity.

Friday 15/06/07

Good grip workout yesterday. Back not feeling too bad.

Warm up with cleans and front squats working up to 85kg. Didn't go heavier because wrists too sore and just couldn't manage it.

Deads: 4 x 5 x 160kg (352lb) plus a few more singles as experimenting with grip - no straps and no belt for all reps.

Dips: 1 x 10 x 40kg, 4 x 5 x 47.5kg (105lb)

Chins: 2 x 5 x 20kg (44lb), 2 x 5 x bw+25kg (55lb) - Left forearm complaining again.

No way I was going to do bb presses today with my wrists in their current shape. Tried upright rows with 70kg but that hurt left forearm so switched to db presses with palms facing each other: much more comfortable; performed one arm at a time.

DB Presses: 4 x 5 x 26kg (57lb) - left arm really suffering compared to right.

Single Leg Calf Raises: 4 x 10 x bw+47.5kg (105lb) + burns and loaded stretches.

Not a bad workout considering my op was only two days ago. Felt a bit sore during deads but now it's itching like crazy which I take as a good sign.

Bodyweight back up to 196lb this eve so I've added 7lb so far this cycle. Must remember to factor that in for dips and chins if the reps seem harder to get.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jun. 18 2007,18:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am surprised you continued deadlifts, especially at that weight, after your surgery.</div>
Yeah, I was surprised too!
biggrin.gif

Thankfully, the op was much less serious than the last one and the incision was no where near as deep or long (only 4 stitches). So after two days I felt fine, wanted to do a workout and thought it would be worth a try.

I would have stopped at the slightest hint of stitch stretch or pain. Nada! And I always feel that a good supply of blood to a damaged area is a good thing and it does seem to have healed up really fast. Still 9 days until the stitches come out so I am still going to be a bit cautious until then.

Monday 18/06/07

Just a brief workout tonight. Want to give my wrists a break so no cleans or front squats; plus I have a four ton skip to fill tomorrow and want my lower back to be fresh for that (feeble excuse, I know!).

Brief warmup with light deads (90kg).

Bench Press: 4 x 5 x 90kg (198lb)

BB Rows: 5 x 5 x 90kg (198lb)
Fancied a change.

Press: 2 x 15 x 40kg, 4 x 5 x 50kg (110lb)
Not going to push these up for a week or so. Just want to rehab my wrists and left forearm a bit.

Considering I didn't start this until nearly 2:00am I don't feel too bad! But now I've had some protein and attended to this log, I need to sleep.
cool.gif

<div>
(Slapshotz @ Jun. 19 2007,21:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wow, what an effort post surgery.  You're a braver man than I!</div>
I think my doc would have given me a ticking off so maybe more stoopid would be a better description. It's just that it really doesn't feel bad at all now. I'm much more concerned about my wrists and my left forearm which produce way more discomfort.

Anyone else suffer with wrist pain from cleans and front squatting in the racked position?

Back