Long Time No Hello

Discussion in 'Hypertrophy-Specific Training (HST)' started by mikeynov, Oct 11, 2017.

1. mikeynov

mikeynov Super Moderator Staff Member

I just wanted to say hello to Bryan, Lol, Dan Moore, Sci Muscle, Totentanz, Old and Grey, NWLifter, Blade and any of the other many posters that might still be around. I haven't posted around here again in several years, but I always like to revisit this forum from time to time.

It's interesting looking back at the history of these boards. Back in ~2001, in the early thinkmuscle days before the original HST days, I was gobbling up all the stuff Bryan was writing at the young age of ~21. 16 years later I'm 37 going on 38 and still find myself mentally revisiting the subject of the science behind resistance training quite frequently. Having gotten a couple of degrees in related fields (undergraduate degree in Biology, graduate degree in Clinical Exercise Phys), I still find the HST perspective on the subject of using resistance training to optimize hypertrophy refreshingly free of dogma and mystification still so common in fitness circles.

I've had setbacks in my own training and nutrition - I wound up finding out I had pretty terrible cholesterol several years back and have performed a variety of experiments to help control this to some success. I've also had a couple of shoulder surgeries that were not entirely successful, so I've managed to lose a huge amount of strength/muscle. However, I'm slowly getting back the ability to perform most primary movements and looking to re-gain lost muscle mass, so I find myself gravitating back to HST principles. I recall having a discussion a few years back on the subject of "updating" the default HST routine to incorporate some of the results of more recent research (Wernbom et. al) combined with my own practical experience, and I'm considering writing a few more thoughts here at some point in the near future if anyone is around/interested.

But either way, I just wanted to give a shout out to all the people who have contributed here over the years. It's ~16 years since the start of these boards and I still find a passion in the subject of resistance training science that was heavily influenced by Bryan's early writings. Beyond just the knowledge that Bryan shared, the other thing that always struck me as unique was how genuinely kind and patient Bryan was. In an online fitness world of so many abrasive, combative personalities it was always very refreshing to me to interact with like-minded people who cared first and foremost about the science behind this stuff and could find constructive ways to share and debate the topics. So cheers to all of you.

Browner likes this.
  2. Old and Grey

Old and Grey Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Mikey. Missed ya!

3. Bryan Haycock

Bryan Haycock Administrator

Mikey! Wow, so great to see you. I look forward to hearing about your educational experiences and the thoughts and ideas they have inspired.

As you can see, the board look/feel is still pretty rudimentary, but the expertise around here is second to none. So glad you decided to stop in and say hello. I hope you can stick around a while. :)

4. _Simon_

_Simon_ Member

Great to have you back here Mikey :). I always got a lot out of your posts, I think I joined up after you stopped posting so we never chatted. Glad to hear you're slowly on the mend, I've also been unwell with stuff last few months so getting back into the swing of things and also revisiting HST.

And definitely I'm very interested in your thoughts on updating things based on current research! There's great research around from Wernbom, Schoenfeld etc, would love to hear your thoughts on it and how it can be applied to HST/resistance training in general.

And +1 to Bryan and his kindness and generosity in all this, definitely refreshing.

Welcome back :)

5. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Still doing chin ups better than anyone else?

6. mikeynov

mikeynov Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the replies, guys, glad to still see some people around.

Jester, funny question. My strength in general got pretty demolished by having two shoulder surgeries in the same year, and an inability to meaningfully lift for the better part of a year (it's amazing how much my body doesn't seem to want to be heavy and retain muscle). But about ~6 months after my second surgery, when I was first getting back into meaningful lifting, I tried a few sets of neutral grip pullups cautiously to see how they felt on my shoulders. Despite not having done any pullups/chins since the previous calendar year and my training consisting mostly of light PT-ish stuff, I was still able to do 13 strict pullups on my first attempt.

For some reason I found that funny and a little comforting. So yah, my inherent pullup/chin strength did seem somewhat preserved.

7. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

Good to see you around, Mikey. Congrats on the degrees, that's quite an accomplishment.

I've tried exploring outside the bounds of HST in my years of training but like you, I always seem to come back to those core HST principles. It just makes sense. I'd definitely be interested to hear your more recent thoughts on the 'HST 2.0' conversation from a while back (how many years now?) as last time we were all posting about that, it got a lot of good ideas flowing. Over the last little while, I've been focusing more on specialization cycles and that seems to be allowing continued progress while not losing ground in the areas I'm not focusing on.

I agree one of the great things about this site was always that you could post your questions or thoughts and not have to worry about being belittled or taken apart by Bryan or any of the veterans. HST seems rather complex to the uninitiated... I know I don't post here as much lately (life, etc) but this is one of the few sites that I always end up coming back to, even if it's just lurking around.

I know a log is quite a chore to maintain. I'm always terrible about it. But I'd definitely be interested in seeing one as you get fully back in to training.