low carb and low calorie

bigben

Hi all, great forum. some excellent advice here and I hope I can get some more advice about a specific query.

I weigh about 220 lbs with a high bodyfat level (> 35%). From everything I've read, I need to be shooting for about 2500 cals a day to create a deficit of 500 cals, or to use the more general rule: 10 - 12 cals per lb = 2200 - 2640

I have been on a low carb diet (< 30g per day) for about 6 weeks now, and my calories get nowhere near that level. I never go hungry and always eat after a workout but my calories rarely go above 1600 a day, often less.

I feel fine, I have no problem completing my workouts (currently in 3rd week of first HST cycle) and I'm losing about 3 - 4 lbs per week. My strength isn't dropping so I can only assume most of that is fat.

My question is, am I doing any harm consuming such a relatively low level of calories. Does anyone see a reason for me to up my food intake? I have no problem eating, (as you can see from the 220 @ 35%+ bodyfat! ) so it's not a case of I have trouble eating enough, it's just that on low carb I'm nowhere near as hungry as usual.

I find it near impossible to lose weight on a conventional moderate carb diet. I'm guessing that's because of my hypoglycemia. any general guidance or specific advice would be appreciated.

Hey BigBen. I'm a relative newbie on this site so I'm sure others will have more advice for you. But here are some things to think about.
If you cut that low, it's hard not to lose muscle along with fat. Most people will tell you a 1000 caloric drop from maintenance is the lowest you should go without losing muscle. Second, your body will start to adapt to your high caloric deficit (go into starvation mode) and slow your metabolism way down - especially if you've been dieting like this for weeks on end with no break and no refeeds.
If you poke around the forums, a lot of guys who diet will do a low carb low cal diet for several days and then do a carb 'refeed' on the weekend. The refeed will get your metabolism back up and keep your body from adapting - among other things. Some people (not here) suggest 3 days down (big cal deficit of say 1000) and then 3 days of maintenance (though if you're hyperglycemic you'll have to adjust your protein/carb/fat ratios to find what works best for you).
I noticed on one of Brian's posts he said he does a low carb diet during the week and does a refeed on the weekend when dieting. If it's good enough for him, it should be good enough for me!
For more info, click on the link to Blade's post in the HST FAQ section...
Blade's post in HST FAQ
Lastly, I'm sure there are others who will have better advice (like Blade's post), but remember that everyone's body is different to some degree. You have to monitor your bf% as well as weightloss to see what's working well and what's not.
There are many approaches (such as the above and countless more), but do what you can live with and gives you the best results.
Your initial variables will be caloric deficit level.
Length of time at deficit level.
Macronutrient %'s (protein, carb, fat).
I'd say resistance training but you're already doing HST!:)
And cardio.
Hope this helps!

very informative post bluze, thanks.
I think I'll stick to a minimum of 1500 cals per day (not including 2 tablespoons flax)

Big Ben, 3 to 4 lbs a week, takes it's toll after a while. I have done the low carb, and lo fat. Both work just one quicker than the other. Unfortunately muscle wasting will happen on severely calorie restricted diets. So be careful...

I can attest to differing fat loss techniques, I went form 225 to 149 (at lowest) in 1.5 years.

Drawbacks- skin tone: loose skin in ab, waist, thigh and glutes.

Muscle loss-uninevitable with extreme fast weight loss.

Mood-after long periods of carb depletion I personally noticed mood issues and motivational issues.

Advantages- Quick loss motivates some, but be aware that the bull sh*t spouted of loos 80lbs in 6 weeks (overdramatised) is exactly that BS.

Best scenario is lose .5 to 1.5 lbs per week any faster than that and you will end up with overabundance of loose skin.
Eat healthy well balanced meals, carbs themselves aren't bad, just bad carbs are. Spread throughout the day.

Exercise, both cardio and resistance.

To show that I've been there see this thread....
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin....;t=1451

DKM, those are awesome results! If you don't mind my asking, what was your plan(s)?

Diet (calories/protein/carbs/fat), HST (?), cardio (every day? for how long?), any supplements? Did you cycle cutting and bulking or just cutting the whole time?

Congrats again on all your hard work!!! You're a great example for the rest of us!

:D

At 35% bf losing muscle isnt really an issue. Some studies (cant find them now) had people with high bf on 800cals/day with no LBM losses. When the body is carrying that much fat it doesnt need to use muscle for enrgy.

Id carry on with what youre doing for now. Maybe throw in a high carb day every other week to top off your glycogen stores. You might want to check out Lyles board. Theres lots of discussions going on there at the moment about these kinds of diets. Go to www.bodyrecompostion.com and do a search in the forums for PSMF (Protein sparing modified fast).

Good luck with the diet!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bluze @ June 13 2004,2:18)]DKM, those are awesome results! If you don't mind my asking, what was your plan(s)?
Diet (calories/protein/carbs/fat), HST (?), cardio (every day? for how long?), any supplements? Did you cycle cutting and bulking or just cutting the whole time?
Congrats again on all your hard work!!! You're a great example for the rest of us!
:D
First 6 months I was on low to no carb regime, lost about 45Lbs. Starting working out, 20 mins to 45 mins aerobics, cycled 20 mins one day 45 the next, was using stair master (no reason other than time).

Resistance training used was high volume splits. Ideas left over from teen years, I am now going to be 40 in 2.5 mos,
6 days per week.

Changed to HIT for 3 months, great results but caused joint stress.

Now on HST for about 3 mos. Greater results but I injured my Pec Minor week before last so I am on unplanned SD. So I have reduced my cals back to about 2200. Still using aerobics three times per week.

I kept a log throughout and noticed that weight loss had slowed to .25 lbs a week, give or take. Upped calories by reintroducing carbs (only good carbs, fruits and veggies, limited grains) started losing 1 lb. per week again.

That lasted til current. I found that while working out, I needed 2300 to 2400 to stay/gain weight.

Notes: Low carb cals were, as you stated low- 1400 to 1500 per day. This is due to the fullness effects of eating high protein moderate fat. Didn't feel hungry so I didn't eat that much per sitting.

Once reintroducing carbs, I started @ 50 Grams/Day, then slowly increased in increments of 25 every two weeks. I currently ingest about 200 Grams per day. (low GI at meals, High GI Pre-WO and Breakfast, mostly Juice.

I eat about 200 to 250 Grams protein, 50 to 60 grams fat(fish oil, chicken, beef, and fish). This is were I am at today @ 2300 - 2400 avg cals per week when working out.

Supplements-
EFA - (fish oil and minimum flax) 2 tabs am 2 in pm
CLA - 1 tab 3X day
Whey Protein
Creatine

I have gained 5 lbs. since starting HST, but my metabolism currently is so high that if I reduce back to 1800 or even 2000 cals I drop weight (as much as 5lbs per week).

That's it, it takes time and patience and determination. At last body fat measurement I was at around 11.5%. Have no clue to what it was, I would simply just say, LARD @$$.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Some studies (cant find them now) had people with high bf on 800cals/day with no LBM losses.

None of the studies I have seen have measured this over any duration (mostly eight to 12 weeks), with lower carbs to almost none over an extended period of time, you WILL lose lean mass, I know it for a fact. Glycogen stores are next to nothing ketogenic bodies are not stored, they are used or eliminated, without glycogen stores in the muscle, CSA and mass are reduced. Secondary issues are volumization, without enough carbs, fluid levels are reduced in muscle cells and tissue, this also leads to mass loss. It might not be significant in some, depending on amounts of carbs ingested and quality, IE glycemic value, but there is a reduction, thirdly anytime you restrict your avg caloric intake, to levels of half or worse, and work out, amino's will be used for anaerobic energy since ATP stores and Glycogen are low to non existent, ketogenic bodies (ketones) are not used or very limited use in the anaerobic energy path. If you are not ingesting enough amine's then you will take them from your muscle tissue.

If on a low crab diet, or any restriction for that matter, you will lose more BF if doing aerobics and anaerobic, than doing anaerobic alone.

Also drink gallons of water, not literally, but you should drink at least, if not more, a 1/2 liter (2 Cups) 4 to 6 times per day.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bigben @ June 12 2004,1:26)]My question is, am I doing any harm consuming such a relatively low level of calories. Does anyone see a reason for me to up my food intake?
No, you are doing no harm eating low calorie. I see no reason to up your caloric intake until you stop losing weight.

Back