Lower abs

Discussion in 'Basic Training Principles and Methods' started by budec, Sep 24, 2003.

1. budec

budec New Member

Looking at my abs, I got a 'decent' 6 pack... but it would be pushing it to call it an 8 pack. The 2 ab 'packs/cans' under my ribs are HUGE, they sit out further than my ribs.. the 2 'cans' under it are decent, and the 2 cans under that are defined, but not really huge.
    The last 2 cans (right around my bellybutton) are see-able if I suck and flex and I can feel them, but they are really small.
    Last training cycle (non-hst) I did weighted crunchs/weighted situps and this weird crunch machine at the gym... I would kill my abs every time I worked them, but for the life of me I couldn't get the bastard 7th/8th 'cans' to come out and play like muscles above them.
    What good exercise could I do to work the lower parts of my abs more? I love weigths, so please don't suggest any of those prissy pilates or arobics junk... j/k-ing :p
    my body fat is around 8-15% (I can't measure bf % worth nothing), but even if I did lose fat the lower abs would still be small.

2. Younglifter14

Younglifter14 New Member

hagning leg raises and lying leg raises are good. But a dumbell between your foot if you wanna make them weighed as well.

3. From what I know the reason those 2 lower 'cubes' are not as defined usually is because of their anatomical position, around the bellybutton.
    There is no such thing as "lower abs". Only one big muscle called 'Rectus Abdominis'. To my knowledge it's impossible to work a specific part of the abs, as it is impossible to work a certain part of your tricep.
    Sorry to discourage you...but I've got the same problem myself :).

4. Singleton

Singleton New Member

Pilates is great for abs. Sounds like girly stuff, but you'll probably be surprised how hard it can be.

5. Arvo Paperi

Arvo Paperi New Member

Gray's Anatomy, 35th edition, 1973: "In this regard it should be emphasized that in some actions, only one region of a muscle may be active, and the remainder quiescent" (page 492). About the triceps: "the medial head is active in all forms of extension. The actions of the lateral and long heads, however, are minimal, except when the forearm is acting against resistance".

See also
    this article.

From my and many others' experience I would say that those leg raises work for lower abs.

However, they never will be as defined and cut as the upper abs. Just see the pictures of high-level bodybuilders and notice that the lower part of abs is just one long piece of meat. Additionally, there is often more fat over the lower part than over the upper part.

6. Kate

Kate New Member

Rectus Abdominis extends from the pubic symphysis in the front of the pelvic girdle to the ribs and the xiphoid process of the sternum. Muscle fibers for this muscle (as for any skeletal muscle) run from end to end, from one attachment to the other.

Yes you can feel more fatigue at one of the end of the muscle if more activity is taking place at one end (reverse crunches or leg lifts) than the other. Fatigue is not the primary stimulus for hypertrophy. Mechanical load is what we're looking for here. Can you change the load on part of a guitar string depending on where you strike it? I doubt that the difference would be statistically significant.

Working the lower attachment of RA is good for variety, core strength and flexibility in ones lumbar spine. The two best exercises for lower abs??? Putting down the fork and moving away from the table.

Kate

7. Nethernik

Nethernik New Member