Making my own routine, need help

rzieba

I used to train the "traditional" way hitting each muscle once per week. MON-WED-FRI with a total of 9 sets. I would do 6-8 reps and train to failure. I was thinking of increasing the frequency and lowering the volume. I wan't to do Chest, Tris, Shoulders on Monday and Thursday and Back, Biceps, Legs on Tuesday and Friday. So I will be able to hit each muscle group twice per week. I don't want to overtrain so I was thinking of lowereing the total sets to 3 per muscle group. So After one week I would hit each muscle twice with a total of 6 sets. I will keep my rep range between 6-8 and train to failure. Does this sound like a good idea? I'm basically trying to increase the number of growth cycles to 2 per week instead of 1 with the traditional routine. The reason I want to lower the total number of sets is because I don't want to burn myself out. Any comments or suggestions?

rzieba

If I were you, as HST is not "traditional" at all and before I discard the way it is structured, I'd give the main HST program one hell of a bash and then revise my opinion.
tounge.gif

How's that :confused:

Not that you can't do it that way, but HST is essentially a full body program and elicits better growth response when it is tackled like that.

So I challenge you to try the vanilla HST method and then ask us whatever you like.

Obviously, no strings attached, you ultimately do what you wish, but seriously give it a try! ;)

i agree with fausto..but if you want to do your own thing as you have suggested go ahead but follow the hst guidlines
2wks 15s
2wks 10s
2wks or 4wks 5s
dont train to faliure
good luck :D

Well I decided to do the HST routine again instead of going along with my program. I started it before, but it got interupted so I'm going to re-test my maxes and start again. However, I want to skip the 15's this time. I just don't know what rep ranges I should go with. I started a thread about this in the HST forum. If you guys can help that would be great.

why skip the 15s..i enjoy the 15s i have hardly any rest between sets get in and out of the gym..they can be quite hard maybe thats why a lot of people dont seem to like them.. :D

Bosbik

It will feel light in the beggining, but it really depends on whether you have checked your maximums properly. Did you?

If you did, then do not worry, as progression will eventually catch up with you, on the other hand you may want to do 2 sets instead of 1.

Last but not least, how long did you SD and how long did you train before HST?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bosbik @ Oct. 17 2005,4:31)]when i do my 15's, it feels like its too light...is there sumthing wrong?
maybe your doing this75, 80,85,90,95,100.
try this.....................90,90,95,95,100.100. good luck:D

@fausto
yup..i did...i'll try doin 2 sets..befor HST I had trained for 2 years then stopped for a year.just didn't have time to work out..I'm just coming back to training...thanks!!

@faz
thanks!

Bos

Yooohooo, that is one long SD, should help you pretty nicely! :D

Yep try the 2 sets, but if it gets too much go back to 1 don't overdo it, remember that the second set does not have to be completed, as Bryan says if you strat slowing down towards the end of the reps, then just stop there!

Cheers....and happy lifting!
thumbs-up.gif

Ok, time to offer something up:

6 week program, option to extend to 8 weeks:

10s
5s
Post 5s/5RM

4 workouts a week - M/W/F & Sa/Su

M/F program

2x Dips/Flat bench
2x Wide grip chins/Pulldowns
2x Squat/Leg press/Lunges
1x Leg curl (if do squats)
1x Military Press
1x Shrugs
3x Calf raise**

W/S program

2x Incline bench
2x BB rows/Seated Rows
2x Deadlift/Leg press/Lunges
1x Leg extension (if do deads)
1x DB shoulder press
1x Shrugs
3x Calf raise**

This is your program for the duration of the 10s.

When you start the 5s, add in either a drop set or a set of 12s/15s for each of your chest, back and leg compound exercises.

A drop set is explained in FAQ, otherwise known as stripping. The drop set is to be performed using a weight ~ 12/15RM

Also in the 5s you will add in:

1x Incline dumbell curls
1x Skullcrushers/overhead triceps extension

Progress these weights as you would any other, however these are only performed twice weekly on alternating workouts. At the end of the set, hold onto the weight in the stretched position for about 15 seconds. You should feel a real stretch and burn. Make sure you do these after the compounds.

During the post 5s, we will use clustering:

You goal is to achieve a rep target whilst using a weight greater than 5RM.

We'll aim for 10 reps, using clusters for chest, back, legs shoulders, but not for isolations.

In the first week of post 5s, use a weight one increment higher than your 5RM - it would be your 3/4RM I imagine. Use this weight in miny sets (i.e. clusters) to achieve 10 reps. The goal here is to use as many mini sets as you need to reach 10 reps (it may even be 10 singles, but I more likely 3,3,2,2 or 4,4,2 or 4,3,3) BUT DO NOT GO TO FAILURE on any.

Maintain you 15s/drop set after your last cluster.

** Calf raises - do 3 sets for these, they need it :)

Back