Max OT to HST - Some Advice please

Thanks for getting back to me Alex.

Just to Clarify... Are you saying I should do 3 sets of chins, 2 sets of hammer curls and 2 sets of dumbbell curls? Or should I do 3 sets of chins and just 1 set for hammers and curls?

After being re-educated with hypertrophy, I am now confused on when I am doing too much.

Thanks.

This may sound a bit silly to ask, but...

I feel I need to start looking into making my routine an am/pm setup. Currently what I have now goes too long and is just too exhausting on me.

So here is what I am thinking and would welcome any feedback;

AM

Chin Ups - 2 sets
Hammer Curls - 2 Sets
Dumbbell Curls - 2 Sets
Calf Raises - 3 Sets
Narrow grip bench for triceps - 3 Sets

(I may be doing too many sets for biceps, so I may cut this back a little)

PM

Bench Press - 1 Set
Military Press - 3 Sets
Hack Squats - 3 Sets

I am keen for a second opinion. Thanks.

I would definitely do 3 sets of chins. The 2 & 2 sets of isolations aren't something I would necessarily do, but if it isn't causing you pains on the underside of your forearm or elbow then they're probably 'fine'. As you could probably tell, I personally think isolation exercises are not great at producing hypertrophy and are better done in a high rep range, 10-15RM, but if they aren't impeding your progress (soreness, lack of energy etc) and aren't causing you injury then there's no reason you can't do them.

Definitely 3 sets of full stretch chins though.

I have to agree with Alex. I think that isolations for the arms tend to cause problems in the long run when you go heavy on them. I never purposefully go below 8 RM on curls or any tricep exercise that puts stress on the elbow. Seriously, f that. I messed up my elbow at the end of one cycle by retardedly deciding to do negatives on curls. At the time, my 3 RM was like 155 or something dumb like that, and I was doing 3 full reps then swinging the weight up in order to get 5-7 more eccentric only reps. During the second workout, my elbows felt bad but it subsided after a couple hours, then after the third workout doing this, my elbows were feeling bad and didn't stop. The pain went away after SD and two weeks of 15s, but that was enough for me.

I have to agree with Alex. I think that isolations for the arms tend to cause problems in the long run when you go heavy on them. I never purposefully go below 8 RM on curls or any tricep exercise that puts stress on the elbow. Seriously, f that. I messed up my elbow at the end of one cycle by retardedly deciding to do negatives on curls. At the time, my 3 RM was like 155 or something dumb like that, and I was doing 3 full reps then swinging the weight up in order to get 5-7 more eccentric only reps. During the second workout, my elbows felt bad but it subsided after a couple hours, then after the third workout doing this, my elbows were feeling bad and didn't stop. The pain went away after SD and two weeks of 15s, but that was enough for me.

thats why i like the idea of adding iso stuff for metabolic work what Alex brought up.

Same here. My arms get swole from compound presses and pulls. I pretty much avoid arm isos, for the same reason mentioned, hurts elbows. My arms are a strong point anyway. I am doing heavy compounds for chest and shoulders, and yet my arms have responded better than anything, even with no curls or any triceps isos.
I have never seen anyone who could bench 350 lb.s or do 20 chinups that had small arms. Arms will grow as the compounds progress.

I think I will need to give up on military presses. These are placing a pretty decent strain on my lower back. At the moment, I am using dumbbells for this exercise and am pressing 65lbs each side.

Great exercise, but I feel some warning signs. Does anyone have any other "just as good" substitutes?

Thanks.

I second that.
I prefer to do them with back support and seated. But be sure not to hyperextend your lower back.
Not placing the back support completely vertically should help.

Back