Max-Stim questions

Dan, the link appears to be broken.

I figured it out though.
wink.gif

http://www.hypertrophy-research.com/maxstim/MaxStimulation.pdf

Dan must have let the domain registration lapse. Hope it's not gone for too long.

hmmm.

is max-stim like clustering sets?

I take it its only something you do with really heavy weight, and to failure? take a break...go again? or am i way off here...

EDIT: I found this:

http://www.clutchfitness.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6130

So could I incorporate this into my regular HST cycle? Like, instead of doing negatives for two weeks, I could push my 5 RM with this method it seems for two weeks. Starting at 5 RM and increasing weight steadily over those workouts.

I guess on days where I fail earlier then anticipated I end up doing something like this to complete the set volume, though I think this is more accurately described as clustering?

Yes it would be, but no harm done. The only thing I can speak on for MS is that at first, your M-times may have to increase rep by rep a bit more than the plan. I wouldn't increase weight until the M-time got under 10 seconds max at least.
I'm no expert on it since I've just played with it so far; not done a whole cycle. The sets seem long at first (as many complain) and I figured out that it's because they are.
Clustering is like a necessary tool with HST for intermediates and above, IMO.

<div>
(beingisbeing @ Jun. 12 2008,12:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">hmmm.

is max-stim like clustering sets?

So could I incorporate this into my regular HST cycle? Like, instead of doing negatives for two weeks, I could push my 5 RM with this method it seems for two weeks. Starting at 5 RM and increasing weight steadily over those workouts.</div>
Yes and No.

Clustering uses mini sets MS uses singles both are aimed at elevating the work level though.

THere may be some advantage to singles as each contraction may be sensed as differing assualts versus one long assualt, something that has been seen to be more advantageous in bone tissue but has yet to be investigated in muscle tissue.

Yes, you can extend way beyond your 5RM with MS and probably approach near your 3RM and still acheive your desired rep count.

As quad points out the M-Time will vary and this can make your workout seem longer but in many cases it may acutally prove to be shorter because the time in between reps allows more than adequate recovery therefore you won't have the time in between sets which adds to the total gym time.

So for an example

You are doing 20 reps and the sum of the m-time adds up to reps 1 through 5 = 5secs reps 6-15 = 10 sec, reps 15-20 = 30 secs total = 90 sec reps 15-20 180 secs.

Total = 300 secs or 5 minutes

If using sets of 5 and taking 2 minutes rest between sets you have 8 minutes.

So MS is actually shorter. But again this will vary wildly and it may turn out to be longer.

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Jun. 12 2008,8:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Gone for good I'm afraid but if anyone has question ask them here or PM/Email me.</div>
I for one am most sorry to learn that the site is down for good. Fortunately, I was wise enough to plan ahead and make copies for myself.

M-time alone is a remarkable technique; it lets me handle significantly more weight than I could if I were using multiple repetition sets. I have used the M-time principle for several SST programs (which I could not have finished otherwise).

Later I tried to do the whole Max-Stim program faithfully. I made it through Phase I, but unfortunately fell ill and missed the last workout. I intend to go back and try it again shortly.

Thank God I saved the document. I'll email it to anyone to save Dan some work. Be sure to PM me your mail addy; I think there's a size limit on here. It's a PDF.

Thanks for the e text dan!

I did some reading. Went to do my ordinary workout, which was 8 RM on this final day of a micro cycle.

My shoulders felt like hammered turd, so I decided to try a little max stim action. I used the barbell for ease of setting the weight down (I normally use DBs). I cranked out 25 reps, solid form, M=10 secs, with what is probably my 7 RM on a good day.

I decided to do the same with BB curls. Took my 6-7 RM, banged out 25 reps, solid form, M=10sec.

In both cases I still had tons of steam left, and only stopped because of overtraining paranoia due to the hypocaloric diet I'm on at the moment.

This is truly fascinating me now.

So here is the question: is the fatigue that we're cheating primarily neural, and as such, not going to assist in hypertrophy anyway? Why bother with traditional rep/sets at all?

Even though HST has more or less cured me of the notion that my muscles have to be limp with fatigue in order to stimulate growth, I guess the instinct is still there: &quot;Hey that turn me into a noodle, so I didn't work out.&quot; Even though I'll tell you man, hours later I am sooooooooore in totally new ways. Nevertheless, I felt like I was CHEATING with max stim!

I have the MaxStimulation.pdf file as well and can also email it if anyone needs it.

Wasn't there also an Excel spreadsheet for setting up a MaxStim cycle? If so could someone please post it here?

<div>
(beingisbeing @ Jun. 15 2008,2:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So here is the question: is the fatigue that we're cheating primarily neural, and as such, not going to assist in hypertrophy anyway? Why bother with traditional rep/sets at all?</div>
From what I understand during contraction the muscles are deprived of blood and therefore oxygen and nutrients. By deloading the weight you allow the blood to return to the muscle and resuply it, giving the extra boost.

<div>
(beingisbeing @ Jun. 15 2008,1:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So here is the question: is the fatigue that we're cheating primarily neural, and as such, not going to assist in hypertrophy anyway? Why bother with traditional rep/sets at all?</div>
Indeed, that is the question.

Since I learned about M-time, I have never gone back to sets. I just crank out my 20 or 25 M-time reps and go on to the next exercise.

yeah I'd say it def is!

I'm wondering if the fatigue that comes with the normal set method is worth anything at all? (for a non strength/performance but rather hypertrophy oriented routine/individual, of course)

<div>
(Fausto @ Jun. 18 2008,8:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What happened Dan? Funds? Can anyone of us help? Strange, it was going so well!
sad.gif
</div>
Time, I'm just to limited on what I have available anymore.

Participation, many came and looked, a few stuck around and remained very helpful and provided their views and insights ........big bow to you guys....other's didn't.

Primarily the fatigue is metabolic in nature.

I have all the documentation, PDF and Excel, if you want it just pm me with your email and I'll send it.

Back