Muscle

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lcars @ Jan. 08 2006,11:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (lievinthenow @ Jan. 08 2006,8:25)]however, testosterone is also a known fat burner. It can attack that fat around your midsection—especially if you amplify its fat-melting effects by jacking up growth hormone as well. GH is key!
i hope you were using that as an example and not a fact,if you think that you can burn fat site specific then you really dont know what you are talking about and would make a bad personal trainer in my view,test does not directly attack your fat it can however increase your body temp/metobalism which helps burn calories,some of your points do have merrit but to try and force them down everyone elses neck,and to make out that yours(whoevers) is the new bible while dismissing all other points of view(training methods) is just wrong.
http://diet.ivillage.com/tone/tlegs/0,,11jn,00.html
http://www.oregonlive.com/shaping....ee.html
http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/article....yth.htm
just in case you were in any doubt(about fat burning) there are a few hundred more out there,enjoy! ;)
I can see my abs can you see yours?

Raise the metabolic rate and burn fat. What part of that don't you understand.
By the way that fat around your gut just so happens is part of the fat that will be burned...
Come on guy you want to burn fat around your gut, raise your metabolic rate...

Stop feeding the troll. If you do not feed the troll, he will go away, as there will be no one to get a reaction out of. This should be the last post in this thread, as nothing productive will come from this converstion. Have a nice day.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Jan. 08 2006,10:17)]how about providing some evidence for very specific claims about hormones
1) Adams, G. (1998). Role of insulin-like growth factor-I in the regulation of skeletal muscle adaptation to increased loading. Exercise and Sports Sciences Reviews, 26, 31-60.

2) Adams, G. R., & Haddad, F. (1996). The relationships between IGF-1, DNA content, and protein accumulation during skeletal muscle hypertrophy. Journal of Applied Physiology, 81, 2509-2516.

3) Adams, G. R., Haddad, F., & Baldwin, K. M. (1999). Time course of changes in markers of myogenesis in overloaded rat skeletal muscles. Journal of Applied Physiology, 87, 1705-1712

4) Adams, G. R., & McCue, S. A.(1998). Localized infusion of IGF-I results in skeletal muscle hypertrophy in rats. Journal of Applied Physiology, 84(5),1716-1722.

5)Adams, G. R, Vincent, J. C., Fadia, H., & Kenneth, M. B.(2002). Cellular and molecular responses to increased skeletal muscle loading after irradiation. American Journal of Physiology, 283(4), 1182-1195.

6) Allen, D. L., Yasui, T., Tanaka, Y., Ohira, S., Nagaoka, C., Sekiguchi, W. E., Hinds, R. R., Roy, & Edgerton. (1996). Myonuclear number and myosin heavy chain expression in rat soleus single muscle fibers after spaceflight. Journal of Applied Physiology, 81, 145-151.

7) Baechle, T. R., & Earle, R. W. (2000). Essentials of strength and conditioning (2nd ed.). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.

8) Barton-Davis, E. R., Shoturma, D. I., & Sweeney, H. L. (1999). Contribution of satellite cells to IGF-I induced hypertrophy of skeletal muscle. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica 167, 301-305.

9) Bamman, M. M., Shipp, J. R., Jiang, J., Gower, B. A., Hunter, G. R., Goodman, A., McLafferty, C. L., & Urban, R. J. (2001). Mechanical load increases muscle IGF-I and androgen receptor mRNA concentrations in humans. American Journal Physiology and Endocrinology Metabolism, 280(3), E383-90.
10) Campos, G. E., Leucke, T. J., Wendeln, H. K., Toma, K., Hagerman, F. C., Murray, T. F., Ratamess, N. A., Kramer, W. J., & Staron, R. S. (2002). Muscular adaptations in response to three different resistance-training regimens: specificity of repetition maximum training zones. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 88(1-2), 50-60.

11) Chambers, R. L., & McDermott, J. C. (1996). Molecular basis of skeletal muscle regeneration. Canadian Journal of applied physiology, 21, 155-184.

12) Clarkson, P. M. & Hubal, M. J.. (2002). Exercise-induced muscle damage in humans. American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 81(11), S52-S69.

13) Clarke, M. S., Khakee, R., & McNeil, P.L. (1993). Loss of cytoplasmic basic fibroblast growth factor from physiologically wounded myofibers of normal and dystrophic muscle. Journal of Cell Science, 106, 121-133.

14) Dolezal, B. A., Potteiger, J. A., Jacobsen, D. J., & Benedict, S. H. (2000). Muscle damage and resting metabolic rate after acute resistance exercise with an eccentric overload. Medicine and science in sports and exercise, 32 (7), 1202–1207.

15) Edgerton, V. R., & Roy, R. R. (1991). Regulation of skeletal muscle fiber size, shape and function. Journal of Biomechanics, 1, 123-133.

16) Fry, A. C. (2004). The role of resistance exercise intensity on muscle fiber adaptations. Sports Medicine, 34(10), 663-679.

17) Gibala, M. J., Interisano, S. A., Tarnopolsky, M. A., Roy, B. D., MacDonald, J. R., Yarasheski, K. E., & MacDougall, J, D. (2000). Myofibrillar disruption following acute concentric and eccentric resistance exercise in strength-trained men. Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, 78(8), 656-661.
18) Gibala, M. J., MacDougall, J. D., Tarnopolsky, M. A., Stauber, W. T., & Elorriaga, A. (1995). Changes in human skeletal muscle ultrastructure and force production after acute resistance exercise. Journal of Applied Physiology, 78(2),702-708.

19) Goldberg, A. L. (1967). Work induced growth of skeletal muscle in normal and hypophsectomized rats. American journal of applied physiology, 213, 1193-1198.

20) Grounds, M. D. (1998). Muscle regeneration: Molecular aspects and therapeutic implications. Current Opinion in Neurology, 12, 535-543.

21) Kraemer, W. J., Ratamess, N. A., & Duncan, N. F. (2002). Resistance training for health and performance. Current Sports Medicine Reports, 1, 165-171.

22) Nosaka, K., & Newton, M. (2002). Difference in the magnitude of muscle damage between maximal and submaximal eccentric loading. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 16(2), 202-208.

23) Nosaka, K., Newton, M., & Sacco, P. (2002). Muscle damage and soreness after endurance exercise of the elbow flexors. Medicine and science in sports and exercise, 34(6), 920-927.

24) Pitkanen, H.T., Mykanen, T., Knuutinen, J., Lahti, K., Keinanen, O., Alen, M., Komi, P.V., & Mero, A. A. (2003). Free amino acid pool and muscle protein balance after resistance exercise. Medicine and science in sports and exercise, 35(5), 784-792.

25)Phelan, J. N., & Gonyea, W. J. (1997). Effect of radiation on satellite cell activity and protein. Anatomical Records, 247(2), 179-188.

26) Schultz, E. (1989). Satellite cell behavior during skeletal muscle growth and regeneration. Medicine and science in sports and exercise, 21, 181-186.

27) Sheehan, S. M., Tatsumi, R., Temm-Grove, C.J., & Allen, R. E. (2000). HGF is an autocrine growth factor for skeletal muscle satellite cells in vitro. Muscle Nerve, 23, 239-245.

28) Sinha-Hikim, S. M., Roth, M. I., Lee, H., & Bhasin, S. (2003). Testosterone-induced muscle hypertrophy is associated with an increase in satellite cell number in healthy, young men. American Journal Physiology and Endocrinology Metabolism, 285(1), E197 – 205.

29) Florini, J. R., Ewton, D. Z., & Coolican, S. A. (2002). I knew that you were gonna fall for it. Don’t worry, I wont tell anybody.

30) Weiss. W., Coney, H. D., & Clark, F. C. (2000). Gross measures of exercised induced muscular hypertrophy. Journal of orthopedic and sports physical Therapy, 30, 143-148.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chiefhog @ Jan. 08 2006,3:03)]Stop feeding the troll. If you do not feed the troll, he will go away, as there will be no one to get a reaction out of. This should be the last post in this thread, as nothing productive will come from this converstion. Have a nice day.
Sounds like you are afraid.
Fear of the unknown!

I think this one covers it

Moore, D. (2006). How to counteract bullshit and nonsense ramblings in an uneducated mind. Live in the Now Sciences Reviews, 26, 31-60.

A followup to

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]29) Florini, J. R., Ewton, D. Z., & Coolican, S. A. (2002). I knew that you were gonna fall for it. Don’t worry, I wont tell anybody.

wow.gif
3-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ Jan. 08 2006,4
wow.gif
3)]I think this one covers it
Moore, D. (2006). How to counteract bullshit and nonsense ramblings in an uneducated mind. Live in the Now Sciences Reviews, 26, 31-60.
A followup to
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]29) Florini, J. R., Ewton, D. Z., & Coolican, S. A. (2002). I knew that you were gonna fall for it. Don’t worry, I wont tell anybody.

Here is a study that backs my statment on GH......

A good way to start off this discussion is to first look at the two hormones universally identified as those most integral to the building of muscle tissue, testosterone (representing the androgen class) and IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor 1; the anabolic end product of GH). Elevation of either hormone, again, really only works well at promoting growth when training is also involved. Given the basic interaction between hormones and receptors, Bamman et al. set out in 2000 to see if receptor modification may play a key role in their tissue specificity. The group of researchers open up their study noting, “… transient elevations in serum anabolic factors such as growth hormones (GH) and testosterone have been documented after a bout of conventional resistance exercise… However, because the hypertrophic response is specific to the loaded muscle(s), activation by systemic hormone would require load-mediated modulation of the hormone’s efficacy in the exercised muscle. Load-mediated modulation of receptor expression or binding affinity in the muscle might explain localization of the growth response…”
Bamman and company proceeded with the first in-depth examination of how androgen and IGF-1 receptor expression is changed in local tissues following exercise. The investigation involved 10 healthy male (7) and female (3) subjects, who were subject to bouts of eccentric and concentric resistance exercise and examined periodically for 48 hours after. Measures were taken of blood hormone levels, as well as local hormone receptor concentrations. The paper goes on to demonstrate some very interesting results. First, testosterone levels actually tended to decline in this study post-exercise. This was attributed to general as well as diurnal variation, the latter of which refers to the way testosterone levels fluctuate throughout the course of the day. IGF-1 levels did increase 48 hours after training, but only slightly (from 349 ng/dl to 416 ng/dl), and only with concentric training. Receptor concentrations, however, were a much different story. Both eccentric and concentric exercise produced significant increases in androgen and IGF-1 receptor concentrations. IGF-1 binding protein 4 (IGFBP-4) was also suppressed, which additionally would increase free IGF-1 and its biological activity. The results demonstrate that sensitivity to both testosterone and IGF-1 is markedly increased in local muscles following training, and present one way in which the body can “direct” their anabolic actions.
[1] Mechanical load increases muscle IGF-1 and androgen receptor mRNA concentrations in humans. Bamman MM, Shipp JR, Jiang J. gower BA, Hunter GR, Goodman A, McLafferty CL Jr, Urban RJ. AM J Physiol Endogrinol Metab. 2001 Mar; 280(3):E383-90.

I could be wrong but hasn't lievinthenow advocated using compound movements followed by pulse reps in a post earlier in this thread?

Isn't that exactly what we all do in the 5s? (or possibly a burn set rather than partials).

So aren't we already doing that but combining it with increasing load to stay ahead of rbe.

Or to put it another way, isn't lievinthennow unknowingly advocating hst unless he believes you're better off not increasing the weight you use and training less frequently even though you can handle traninig more frequently....?

Cheers

Rob

LITN,

No, unfortunately we're not a cult like the JReps advocates. Although, I could go for a glass of koolaid right now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Raise the metabolic rate and burn fat. What part of that don't you understand.
By the way that fat around your gut just so happens is part of the fat that will be burned...
Come on guy you want to burn fat around your gut, raise your metabolic rate...

I don't think we're disagreeing with that statement. To be quite honest, I don't think we are disagreeing with you at all...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
HST is not the founder of the principles of building muscles.
HST is a borrowed version of these principles.

You are right! Bryan Hayford has done a lot of research, collected many studies, and laid out some simple principals to change the mindset of people who follow traditional HIT.

As far as comparing Cutler and Coleman's training to the success of HST. They can be directly linked as I know Coleman uses HST principals. He also uses steroids, and with the help of the juice no matter what program, techniques, or routine you follow as long as you are lifting you will grow.

-Colby

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lievinthenow @ Jan. 09 2006,4:33)]How bout you have your blood work done then train with Xreps for six to eight weeks, have your blood work done again and see for yourself.......
Do some homework pal.....
Thanks for that lesson on how not to perform an experiment.

Now control for all other variables that will influence blood measures of hormones.

Then try and associate any of these blood measures with growth.

Good luck

Kramer etal have been trying to do this for years and have shown 2 things

Jack and ....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lievinthenow @ Jan. 09 2006,8:54)]I can see my abs can you see yours?
wow what a great comeback.

Who would have ever thought a person with all the awnsers would come back with the same old bodybuilding hardhead bollocks..

oh wait...

I hope he realizes that being able to see your abs doesn't mean anything. I know plenty of 150 lb weaklings who have visible abs.

Waht a sad ending to the troll
happy.gif

I was pretty much enjoying this thread.

LITN was explaining and unexplaing HST, he got somewhere close, agreed that HST is sound and even explained some of the techniques we use, then did a 180 turn around and started ranting about GH, yadayadayada........... ;)

I was hoping that as a personal trainer he would be a little more open minded and read some of the other articles besides the vanilla method which indeed is for neophytes
laugh.gif
although still very much a necessity to get people into the mindset of HST principles.

All he ranted on in the beggining we do too....pulses, metabolic sets, drop sets, etc.

There is also a variety of 5 day and even 6 day training programs he could grab but then again being a personal trainer he should be able to devise a fairly good one with all his favourites, instead he is still advocating split training
tounge.gif

LITN - you are cordially invited to try out HST on a 5 day program, full body each day, with as much volume as you see fit and then come back to us with some real research findings so that we can enlarge our already successful database with more glory!
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lievinthenow @ Jan. 09 2006,9:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Jan. 08 2006,10:17)]how about providing some evidence for very specific claims about hormones
29) Florini, J. R., Ewton, D. Z., & Coolican, S. A. (2002). I knew that you were gonna fall for it. Don’t worry, I wont tell anybody.Therapy, 30, 143-148.
The funny thing is that you obviously dont know enough about research to differentiate between PHYSIOLOGICAL levels of hormones and SUPRA-PHYSIOLOGICAL levels achieved by drug therapy.

plus a whole heap of other stupid that you dont appear to grasp.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Jan. 09 2006,8:17)]I didnt mention HST in my post, I mentioned your inability to understand the research you provided.
Oh, says HST expert on all your post.
I guess you must do that selective reading thing along with your selective understanding.

Clearly you have a contracted perspective......

LITN

Without calling any names:

The proof is in the eating - try it and tell us the flavour.

Leave the hormones for later!
laugh.gif

Perhaps he should create a web site for his X Men, explain his principles and provide the scientific research to back them up, give some sample routines, articles, etc. Then he can create a Forum for everyone to talk about X Men. Then he wouldn't have to be here?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lievinthenow @ Jan. 11 2006,12:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Jan. 09 2006,8:17)]I didnt mention HST in my post, I mentioned your inability to understand the research you provided.
Oh, says HST expert on all your post.
I guess you must do that selective reading thing along with your selective understanding.
Clearly you have a contracted perspective......
haha

that just shows how stupid you are.

the term hst expert is because of the number of posts I have, not because I have an exceptional knowledge of HST or that I am contracted by bryan (which I am not)

Back