My Paleo Nutirtion Experiment

• Thread starter imported_drpierredebs
  • Start date
I

imported_drpierredebs

I started a new nutritional plan for myself to drop fat weight for the race season.
I did a bunch of reading and ended up with something which basically resemble the Paleo Diet. I cant cut out salt because I use so little of it anyway, and I still eat about 50grams of bitter chocolate every day.

In the last two weeks I have completely cut out all grains and grain based foods.
No bread, no pasta, no rice, no cereal. In addition I cut out all diary products ( and I LOVE milk).

I eat unlimited amounts of fruits and vegetables. I eat egg whites, lean beef, chicken and salmon. I use only olive oil and walnuts fora pure fat source. I also use nonsweetened apple/banana/mango sauce to mix with amino acid powders for pre and post workouts.

In the end it is a severe caloric resitriction. I am never getting more than 2500 calories. I wouldn´t believe it if I didn´t crunch the numbers as I am stuffed after ever meal and I am very meticulous with the numbers.

In addition, I am taking before every meal a multivitamin and three fish oil caps. Once a week I small fresh thincrust pizza with little cheese and only after a 3 hour bike training,

I drink two coffees per day.

I lift three times a week: Front Squats, Military presses, Bent Rows, Deadlifts, Power cleans, Pull downs. ( with weights between 65-85% of my 1 RM and in a sort of 5 x 5 programs)

The nutirient percentages work out to (approx. with day to day variation )
40% Protein, 30% Carbs, 30% Fats. ( I am getting at least 175 grams of protein a day, this is a minimum)

2 liters of water per day. No juices.

The ideas are not new and I claim nothing as to its efficieny for anyone else, but for me the results speak for themselves:

1. I have dropped 6 kilos in 2 weeks ( 96--->90 kg)
2. I have noticed no change in strength and fatigue, rather the opposite.
3. I have never slept better.
4. My skin is radiant ( Don´t laugh).
5. I have zero sweet cravings, ZERO and this is big for me as I am chocoholic.
6. I literally jump out of bed, my regeneration time has shortened noticable.
7. I am amazed at how much I am eating, as the calories are low, but the sheer mass is absurd.

For example lunch today was 200 grams tuna, a medium sized papaya, 10 baby carrots, 200 grams strawberries, 12 grams walnuts, 150 grams guacamoli, a medium apple, and two tangerines.

I was stuffed and went almost 8 hours without a single hunger pang.

well then he stole most of the ideas from the paleo diet, plus I ainß´t scarfing down Greens+, surge and all the other stuff. I also don´t eat on his recomendation of every 3 hours.

It may be close, I don´t know as I didn´t give PN that thorough of a read. I did use some of the metabolic advantage in my design, but I think the paleo predates the Met. Advantage. In any case, whomever gets the credit, deserves it. I do know that PN advocates a much higher caloric intake, which I am clearly not achieveing, on purpose.

I bought the book Paleo diet for athletes and I think if you google paleo diet you hit it.

i bought the Paleo Diet book a few days ago, and just started reading it. I am excited, and even more so after reading your post drpierredebs. Thanks for the info.

I am currently way too fat, and am going to implement the Paleo Diet to drop fat, and get my fat ass back in shape. I am a not as much a sweets person as a salt person. I love me some Doritos. And every time i have changed my diet i have always had hunger pangs. So i am hoping this is the way that will help to keep me honest.

Thanks again.

I'd just like to know how much LBM you lose on it. That's pretty restricted, and you've lost a lot in a short time. Some of that has to be muscle.

Todays I am 85 kg and this paleo way of eating is the most significant alteration to my lifestyle that I have every experienced.

I am now seeing almost 75% of my six pack and if I have lost any muscle , I haven´t noticed it strength wise.

I think it worked for me because my insulin response has always been way out of wack. As I see my body, I would guess I can shed another 5 kilograms of fat.

I have the before picture and I will post the after picture April 1.

You do know that dairy calcium regulates fat metabolism and seems to help fat-loss?And that paleo nutrition, blood typing etc. are crap because they`re mostly based on wrong assumptions?

Congrats on your weightloss anyhow, and as long as you get your veggies and you feel good, don`t mind my ramblings
wink.gif

<div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ Feb. 26 2007,02:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You do know that dairy calcium regulates fat metabolism and seems to help fat-loss?And that paleo nutrition, blood typing etc. are crap because they`re mostly based on wrong assumptions?</div>
And your point?

Although a good source, dairy is not the only source of calcium.

The thing is, the calcium in dairy(probably alongside a slew of other things there contained) has the aforementioned effect. Calcium only supplementation for example did not produce the same results. So it would`ve been better if I worded it like:dairy is fookin good stuff for losing weight, at least it seems so from recent studies.

If I remember correctly, the rationale for cutting dairy was that the paleo-man didn`t have cows?Well then, why not cut beef as well?Coz that`s still from a cow. Don`t get me wrong, I think it`s great you`re seeing progress, but I feel that you`re seeing progress because:a)you`re eating an isocaloric, fairly balanced diet with a shitload of veggies;b)you`re counting calories, whilst being very eating conscious, not because of some voodoo activation of paleo-man stuff from supposed paleo eating.

My humble opinion is that, aside from the obviously stupid ****(and even that has a place), everything is good to go on a diet as long as it fits your caloric envelope and you dig it. But this is your thread and I don`t mean to interfere with it, so I`ll keep my mouth shut from now on
smile.gif

<div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ Feb. 26 2007,07:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The thing is, the calcium in dairy(probably alongside a slew of other things there contained) has the aforementioned effect. Calcium only supplementation for example did not produce the same results. So it would`ve been better if I worded it like:dairy is fookin good stuff for losing weight, at least it seems so from recent studies.

If I remember correctly, the rationale for cutting dairy was that the paleo-man didn`t have cows?Well then, why not cut beef as well?Coz that`s still from a cow. Don`t get me wrong, I think it`s great you`re seeing progress, but I feel that you`re seeing progress because:a)you`re eating an isocaloric, fairly balanced diet with a shitload of veggies;b)you`re counting calories, whilst being very eating conscious, not because of some voodoo activation of paleo-man stuff from supposed paleo eating.

My humble opinion is that, aside from the obviously stupid ****(and even that has a place), everything is good to go on a diet as long as it fits your caloric envelope and you dig it. But this is your thread and I don`t mean to interfere with it, so I`ll keep my mouth shut from now on
smile.gif
</div>
DOn´t keep your mouth shut, that is how we learn.

I hope I didn´t give the impression that I am claiming some voodoo with paleo.

It is simply the best way to describe HOW I am eating. Of course, paleo men didn´t have cows as we know them, but they had meat and I can´t go hunting for buffalo and deer anymore
biggrin.gif

I am losing fat, yes, in part because I am taking in way less calories than one would calculate I should. Most importantly, the caloric source is very different than what I was used to for 40 years. I have NEVER not been hungry. When I went &quot;Paleo&quot; hunger went as a daily occurance went away. Given that my caloric intake is at LEAST 1000 calories less than pre-paleo, I can only surmise that my body has no problems with what I eat now and the lack of Carbo-dense foodstuff. I end up eating ALOT of fruit and vegetables for my carbs and this is a good thing.

Scientifically, and I haven´t had the time to read the literature, but from I have read by way of Cordain, a Paleo-like (for lack of a better term) nutritional regime is for me Very efficient.

I have &quot;dieted&quot; before and was NEVER successful.

A glass of milk is a great thing, but when I drank lots of it, I got fat.

Maybe I shouldn´t say paleo, but my &quot;nutirional protocol includes only fruits, vegetables, meats, fish and nuts and EXCLUDES all dairy and grain based food stuffs&quot; or simply NPIOFVMFN.

As I said, as long as it works for you, it`s great. I think that this also shows that it`s very important for a particular nutritional protocol to be psychologically easy to adhere to. Carbs tend to putz with that, as they tend to give you major cravings, so lowering carb intake and removing starches from ones diet generally has a positive effect.

Slightly off-topic:I tend to get iffy when I read Paleo, blood-typing, nutrient combining, HIT and anything of the sort(read VooDoo-ish magical approach that is supposed to go against basic human physiology, research and common sense etc.) because I seem to live in moron country. Here, blood-typing is DA SHIZNIT, glutamine builds da musclez, all of the **** supplements work etc. Just now, some moron guru here explained to me how he doesn`t give a crap about the research showing Tribulus to have no effect on testosterone levels, saying that his experience is enough, that ppl get acnee, gyno etc. from tribulus and that he simply doesn`t care what some american(he equated scientific peer-reviewed studies with some american) has to say, coz he knows tribulus works.

In no way am I putting you in the above category, mind you, it`s simply a justification of why I have a deep hate for this kind of stuff:).

<div>
(Morgoth the Dark Enemy @ Feb. 26 2007,09:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">because I seem to live in moron country. Here, blood-typing is DA SHIZNIT</div>
where are you on this planet?

I still have my old blood typing grocery lists...a lot of stuff on it I naturally like and eat anyway, and it had a lot of stuff that would make me sick too. All in all, I spent more money to do nothing.
Having done a veggie soup diet before and lost a pound a day (of you-know-what), I'd always thought to try it again with a lot of meat. That didn't work either (did it last year, late) since there were no fats in it to speak of. The Paleo arena has a better balance and what Morgoth said about the carbs/addiction/cravings is true. I wish they would create a cow whose meat satisfies carb cravings!

Back