My Paleo Nutirtion Experiment

• Thread starter imported_drpierredebs
  • Start date
<div>
(faz @ Apr. 27 2007,04:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">after 12 months they found the dairy group actually excreted 50% more fat per day than the low fat group on exactly the same cals.</div>
Excreted more fat? well they ate more fat. How much Fat did they burn/lose and was their efficiency at burning fat increased?

dont know the exact numbers mate ,but the dairy group lost more fat over the twelve months also.

78kg!!!!!!!!!! 80% of the six pack. I feel like a million bucks! Camera broken, only handy pic. new camera on the way.

Dang Doc, that looks awesome! For a skinny lil' ol' doctor type, that sure isn't the &quot;Average Joe&quot; torso! I think you should use that shot for your avatar; it's kind of artistic.

Thanks, someone suggested on this board in another thread that it was like a myspace type photo. It is a good avatar, your right.

I am currently trying to gain strength and lose bodyweight simultaneously and am lifting 3x/week. I currently squat 250, bench 200, and dead close to 300, and weigh 200 at 15+% bodyfat and 6'2. I am 21 years old and relatively new to weight lifting. Right now I just eat whatever I want.

Would you recommend the diet for me?

<div>
(grahambranchno9 @ May 24 2007,17:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am currently trying to gain strength and lose bodyweight simultaneously and am lifting 3x/week. I currently squat 250, bench 200, and dead close to 300, and weigh 200 at 15+% bodyfat and 6'2. I am 21 years old and relatively new to weight lifting. Right now I just eat whatever I want.

Would you recommend the diet for me?</div>
you need no diet with your numbers.
Keep lifting.

C'mon Doc - you're being a bit inconsistant here: Paleo isn't a diet it's a way of eating for life - primerily for health (according to your previous posts)
GB9 - err towards fresh fruit/veg/meat, eat less processed foods and reduce &quot;grains/legumes&quot; consumption. There you have it &quot;Paleo&quot; or to put it another way clean eating...
wink.gif

<div>
(the_dark_master @ May 30 2007,05:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">C'mon Doc - you're being a bit inconsistant here: Paleo isn't a diet it's a way of eating for life - primerily for health (according to your previous posts)
GB9 - err towards fresh fruit/veg/meat, eat less processed foods and reduce &quot;grains/legumes&quot; consumption. There you have it &quot;Paleo&quot; or to put it another way clean eating...  
wink.gif
</div>
My wording mistake. I don´t treat it as a diet, but many do.

I love your style of eating because I really like fruits but I have some quesions regarding this if you could please answer!
wow.gif

Isn't fructose a high GI carbohydrate which will makes you feel hungry after a meal faster than the low GI ones? And it is said to build up insulin resistant over time, is it correct?

Moreover, you don't eat starch then do you not miss lots of vitamin B and minerals than starch is the main source?

Thank you and happy eating
laugh.gif

<div>
(keenef4 @ May 30 2007,19:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I love your style of eating because I really like fruits but I have some quesions regarding this if you could please answer!  
wow.gif

Isn't fructose a high GI carbohydrate which will makes you feel hungry after a meal faster than the low GI ones? And it is said to build up insulin resistant over time, is it correct?

Moreover, you don't eat starch then do you not miss lots of vitamin B and minerals than starch is the main source?

Thank you and happy eating  
laugh.gif
</div>
The glycemic index of glucose is 100 and that of fructose 23. Other than this, I don´t pay any attention to the glycemic index of fruits and vegetables.

Egg yolks contain B complex vitamins, not all of them, so in combination with all the other stuff I eat, I am covered.

Theryago!
cool.gif

Doc -

I love that you posted your eating lifestyle (nay &quot;diet&quot;) here. I'm gonna give it a shot. I one question, though:

Are calories (~2500 by what I saw in the thread) consistent every day - meaning whether you work out or not, you eat the same each day? I guess my subquestion would be do you try to make up the calories that you intake with your pre- and post-workout shakes in the rest of your diet on off-days and during SD?

Fantastic results! Please keep us up on any changes that you experience.

<div>
(_tim @ Jun. 06 2007,13:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Doc -

I love that you posted your eating lifestyle (nay &quot;diet&quot;) here. I'm gonna give it a shot. I one question, though:

Are calories (~2500 by what I saw in the thread) consistent every day - meaning whether you work out or not, you eat the same each day? I guess my subquestion would be do you try to make up the calories that you intake with your pre- and post-workout shakes in the rest of your diet on off-days and during SD?

Fantastic results! Please keep us up on any changes that you experience.</div>
Hi and thanks.

in general, my caloric intake is everyday below 2500. Only on a heavy endurance training day or race day, will I up the calories.

I skipped the middle of the thread, but how long did you do this for? I couldn't stand no bread, cereal, or pasta for an extended period of time.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jun. 12 2007,14:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I skipped the middle of the thread, but how long did you do this for? I couldn't stand no bread, cereal, or pasta for an extended period of time.</div>
colby, this is a permanent change to the primary nutritional intake. At one point in the thread, doc indicates that he follows it perhaps 95% of the time. So, there's only 5% of his current nutritional intake that may include grain-based foods.

I hope that represents this correctly - that's precisely how I've understood and implemented it, much to the dismay of my wife.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jun. 12 2007,14:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I skipped the middle of the thread, but how long did you do this for?  I couldn't stand no bread, cereal, or pasta for an extended period of time.</div>
This is the way I eat, forever. I eat a pizza after Mountain bike marathons or a long endurance training which lasts between 6-8 hours 2x a month. After shorter endurance trainings of 3 hours I just stuff my face with fruits. I eat about 25-50 grams a day of 75% chocolate and a spoon of sugar in my coffee.

I switched to this way of eating full time around the end of dec 2006.

I am now at 78kg and about 8% body fat. I never felt this good and for me, this style of eating works. It may not work for everyone.

I have been following paleo for a few weeks now, though 'I started reading up on it months ago, give it a week and came off, but fully intending to do it properly.
Now I am doing it properly.

I'd say there were many positive points.

Hunger free living - just keep eating fruit when hunger strikes.

Protein is high - meat , eggs, fish and nuts are protein dense.

Easy - no calorie counting, no counting grammes of whatever, just keep eating meat, fish, eggs, nuts, fruit, veg.  

I seriously urge others to give it a spin.  

The science behind it is that foods like grain, seeds, dairy
even if they contain many useful nutrients, also contain elements which are toxic for the human body and the accumulation of these toxins has negative effects on health.  

All the processed junk, sugar, salt etc in lots of foods is eliminated.  Its beauty is not only in the good stuff you consume, but the rubbish you don't.

I turned to paleo for weight loss, but I am going to up the volume and see what it takes to get weight gain on it.  This I will do only briefly as my overall plan is to lose another 4 kilos.  However, I think that doing it slowly and in stages is the best bet.

there is a lot of free paleo info on the net.  Just google paleo diet, or simply paleo.
biggrin.gif

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/

Back