Nativetroutbum's Training Log... comments/critique welcome!!!

Depending on what's available at your gym, you might be able to do the CG press w/cables, positioning them accordingly. You also substitute a weighted bench dip w/cables (i.e. set the cable higher and press down, simulating the arm position).

Much lighter on the shoulders, albeit subject to cable tension for accurate progression (well maintained vs poorly maintained equipment can make a difference here).

Cable Pushdowns are a great tricep exercise that don't involve shoulder pain. Though I seem to get all the tricep work I need with dips. Do you not get triceps wrecked doing dips native? I always feel like they are heavily strained after a few sets of dips.
Not to mention all the other tricep work you are getting with your upper body compounds.

I appreciate the input, guys. I don't have any cables at my work-gym... so no crossovers, no push downs... The only "tricep" machine we have is a dip-like machine with a stack of bricks.

I get some tricep involvment in dips but only toward the top of the movement. Incline BB press hits the triceps a bit, but again only toward the top of the motion; therefore, nothing I'm currently doing, save CG Press, stresses the tricep in the full stretched position. I can simulate pushdowns with thera-bands laced over the pull-up bar, though I will be limited in progression. I used to do these for metabolic work... maybe I'll try these one-handed. We'll see how everything feels tomorrow.

Cardio today

C2 rowing, damper on 10
1:00 - 292m
:20 - 120m, 46s/m, 612 avg watts
:20 - 121m, 45s/m, 631 avg watts
:20 - 120m, 47s/m, 611 avg watts

20 minutes on stationary bike, lvl 12, 65-75 RPM the whole time.

Haven't eaten everything yet today; but mealplan for the reaminder of the day has me at ~3000 calories; ~375 carbs, ~70 fats, ~230 protein.

CG Press is plenty IMO. CG push ups (weighted w/help) are the bet tricep exercise in my experience, but just difficult to do w/out help.

Not sure why I didn't think about CG push ups... I will try those tomorrow and see how the ole' shoulder feels. My issue is trying to hit the triceps all over, especially in the full stretched position, without too much anterior delt involvement. Thanks for the tip, Alex.

I didn't get a chance to log yesterday's training.

Deads: 45x10, 135x5, 225x5, (straps) 2 @ 295x10
BB Inc Press: 45x15, 95x10, 135x5, 2 @ 180x10
High-bar full ROM Squats: 45x5, 135x5, 2 @ 180x10 (belted 2nd set, felt great)
Decline CG Press: 45x15, 95x10, 135x10 (skipped... still shoulder pain...)
Chins: BW+40x5+4+1, BW+40x6+2+1+1+1
Dips: BW+65x10, BW+65x7+2+1
DB Bent Row: 2 @ 95x10
SL Calf Press: 110x12+10+8, 110x10+8+6
Lying Laterals: 15x10, 15x10
Lying Posterior Delt Raises: 10x10, 10x10
BB Curls: 2 @ 90x10
Pre-hab: Internal and External rotations with thera-band
Fly Machine: 110x15, 110x10

Didn't get a chance to log my food, but I believe it was around 2900 calories

Today's cardio was C2 rowing, dips, situps on a ball, and stationary bike. Did 2, :20 sec sprints on the C2 resulting in 119m/603 and 119m/607 avg watts... Also did two 1:00 rows resulting in 282m and 292m. Did 10 dips in between rowing sets with 5 rep warmup, so 45 dips in all. Stationary bike was 20 minutes on lvl 12, 60-70 rpms the whole time.

Today's food: 3230 calories, 328 Carbs, 93 fats, 272 protein

Tomorrow is my last day of 10's; going to go for 315x10 on deads which would be a PR. Probably go for 190x10 on Squats.

Last edited:
Great day of training today as I finished 10s.

Deads: 45x10, 135x5, 225x5, (straps) 2 @ 315x10 (PR!)
BB Inc Press: 45x10, 95x5, 135x5, 2 @ 185x10 (PR...)High bar Squat: 45x5, 95x5, (belt) 2 @ 185x10
CG Push Up: 10, 5 (skipped)
Chins: BW+45x5+5+15 singles (one giant set)
Dips: BW+70x9+1, BW+70x5+2+1+1+1+1+1
DB Rows: 2 @ 100x10
SL Calf Press: 110x10 (each), 120x10+8+5+5, 120x10+8+5, 120x10 together
Lying Laterals: 3 @ 15x10
Lying Posterior Delt: 3@10x10
BB Curl: 95x10

Notes
Deads: PR felt good though I was pretty well spent after 2 sets. Took a good 5 minutes before I moved on.
BB Inc Press: 185 is a PR but only because I've never really done much incline BB work... everything from here out will technically be a PR.
Squat: 185 felt pretty good, might have been able to get 190 or 195x10. I'm good not to push it too hard since I'm still getting used to the full ROM.
Chins: Was a little short on time so I just did one giant set. Biceps and lats were pretty well smoked.
Dips: Kinda pissed because I felt a little anterior delt tweakiness doing dips today. I'm hoping it was just a little sore from being stupid and doing unweighted dips yesterday. Dumb.
Rows: I'm at the end of our dumbbells... so I need to find a different exercise to replace DB rows. May try our machine but I'm not certain how good it is.
Ran out of time, so only did one set of biceps curls... biceps were already fried from chins.

BW was 181.0. Food today: 3204 calories, 350 carbs, 92 fats, 256 protein

Great day of training today as I finished 10s.

Deads: 45x10, 135x5, 225x5, (straps) 2 @ 315x10 (PR!)
Rows: I'm at the end of our dumbbells... so I need to find a different exercise to replace DB rows. May try our machine but I'm not certain how good it is.
Nice deads, NTB. :cool: Was that a 10 rep PR or a sets-across PR? Or both?!

Have you thought about single-arm BB rows à la Alex's method? Using straps for my work sets allows me to use enough load to completely destroy my pulling muscles. Alex says he stands to one side of the bar to perform the row but I prefer to straddle it and rest my free forearm against my thigh, just above the knee.

Hope that shoulder issue doesn't turn into anything other than a tweak.

The internet calls them 'Landmine Rows', if you want to YouTube them. I do them the same as a DB Row, as Lol says, and not w/the bar perpendicular to me as some of the clips you'll find will show. I use Versa Gripps to do them, straps are also fine ofc.

They're f**king gas.

Yes, I'm definitely going to give these a try next week, thanks Alex. Thanks for the videos, TTL, very helpful.

Very sore pretty much everywhere today, but especially quads/hips. Pretty sure those full ROM High-bar squats are doing what they are supposed to do.

Weekends are harder for me to manage my calories... This weekend I managed to keep my calories where they should be: 3204, 3188 for Friday and Saturday and I'm on pace for 3144 today. Should translate into good training tomorrow for my first day of 5's.

Great first day of 5's today. Progressed a few things, kept a few things right where I finished 10's and added a couple new things. "Metabolic" work took less than 5 minutes total... just tacked it on at the end.

Deads: 45x10, 135x5, 225x5, 225x5, (belt/straps) 3 @ 315x5
BB Inc Press: 45x10, 95x10, 135x3, 3 @ 190x5
Squats: 45x5, 135x5, (belt) 3 @ 190x5
Chins: 3 @ BW+45x5
Dips: BWx5, 3 @ BW+75x5
Single Arm Landmine Row: Bar x10, Bar+25x10, Bar+50x5, Bar+75x5, (straps) Bar+100x3
SL Calf Press: 130x10, 10, 8, 5 130x10, 8, 5, 3
Lying Laterals: 2 @ 15x10
Lying Rear Delt: 2 @ 10x10
BB Curl: 3 @ 95x5
Metabolic stuff:
Lat Pull down: 2 @ 110x10
Fly Machine: 2 @ 110x15

Notes
Didn't even attempt CG presses today; just going back to a more middle of the road dip form so I'll hit both pecs and triceps.
BB Inc Press: First work set was a little crunchy... need to do a 5 minute full body warmup from now on, but sets 2 and 3 felt great, strong and solid.
Squats: I almost skipped Squats because my hips felt very sore after warmups... again, I need that full body warmup and I should be good to go. Decided to try 190 and it felt great; lots of power today. Had a friend of mine check my form all over and he gave me a "mostly" thumbs up. Going all the way down... mostly keeping knees where they should be... mostly keeping my torso straight up and down; little lean on a couple reps. Overall, form is coming along nicely. For now, while the loads are still relatively light, I'm going to press on with deads and squats. In a week or so, i'll switch to squats daily and both deads and squats every other workout... then after a week or so, go to full alternating squats OR deads.
Chins: Managed to get pretty close to MikeyNov form... not as long or high of a pause at the top, but I was pretty happy with it today.
Landmine row: so I did them like this, minus the bench http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-tAr3poW3w . I may add the bench next time so it's more like what i had been doing with bent rows. Either way, once I got my footing correct, these felt great!!
Lat Pull downs: Forgot how great these feel, especially when squeezing at the bottom of the movement.

My shoulder... So my wife is currently a stay-at-home-mom, but by training/schooling she is a Doctor of Physical Therapy. She evaluated my shoulder last night and believes it just to be bicep tendonitous... she streched the heck out of me yesterday. Also, because I was thinking it was a shoulder issue, I was favoring my arm in a weird way during the day and while driving which was putting more strain on my bicep and bicep tendon... so no real wonder it hadn't been getting better. Today, it felt really good; hoping this trend continues.

BW was 180.0... Food today: 3029 calories, 402 carbs, 46 fats, 256 protein

No cardio yesterday... Daughter broke her arm on a playground... thankfully everything is ok now, but it was a bad break. Shoulder to wrist cast for 8-10 weeks will be needed; thankfully no surgery required.

Training today was cut a little short due to time constraints.

Deads: 95x10, 135x5, 225x5, (belt/straps) 3 @ 325x5
BB Inc Press: 45x10, 95x5, 135x5, 135x3, 3 @ 195x5
High Bar Squats: 45x5, 135x5, 135x5, (belt) 3 @ 195x5
Chins: 3 @ BW+45x5
Dips: 3 @ BW+80x5
Landmine Row: bar+25x10, bar+50x5, 3 @ bar+75x5

Skipped everything else. Pretty happy with incline presses; Squats still feeling good, flexibility getting better every day. "In the hole" feels decently comfortable now, paused in the hole for all warmups.

BW was 179.8. Food today: 3171 Cal, 324 Carbs, 86 Fats, 287 protein

I pray your daughter has a quick recovery. I've broken several bones, it's not fun. At least you'll have some daddy bonding time coming up.
Give her lots of love!

I like the abbreviated workout too. Your workout logs were getting excessive lately. :p

That sucks about your daughter. Shoulder to wrist cast? Wow. What did she do to break it? One of my daughters broke one arm and hairline fractured the other one from jumping headfirst off the top of some large structure on their playground when she was in first grade. She had to have a big cast on one forearm and a littler one on the other for what seemed like almost three months. That was great, her school work suffered a bit. Obviously that one didn't inherit my bone problem. Hah. But anyway, I know what it's like, I hope it's not her writing hand that is messed up? I'm sure you already have been briefed on what to do after the cast comes off and all that, but if you need anyone to talk to about it or anything, let me know.

By the way, I've noticed you complain a few times about the plates at your gym not being round and how it sucks to do deads with those plates. I had a friend who had the same problem and here is what he did. He built a small little platform that he took to the gym with him on deadlift days which he could stand on and with the safety bars of the power rack on the lowest setting, his platform put him at the perfect height to do a deadlift. It also made loading and unloading the bar easy.
My last power rack that I sold a couple years ago had the lowest safety bar setting to where the 45s on the bar would be just about a quarter inch off the floor and I used to just do deads in that. I figured the quarter of an inch wasn't really changing the lift a whole lot. So depending on the power racks you have available to you, something like this might be an option. Just if you do use something to stand on, make sure it is something solid. My friend just built something out of wood but maybe they already have something suitable at your gym?

Anyway, just a thought.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the well wishes and prayers; also thanks for being available, Totz... I may indeed PM you on this.

She was on the monkey bars... she jumped from the starting point and tried to grab the 3rd bar... she made it, but her momentum and body weight swung her up and her grip gave out while her body was near parallel to the ground... she fell on her outstreched left arm breaking all three bones in her left arm... Again, we are just to thankful that she doesn't need surgery; and that it's on her non-writing hand!! Usually elbow fractures require pins; thankfully her fracture in her humerous was not displaced and does not need pins. The radius fracture was badly displaced and had to be set... my little girl was a champ... she's WAY tougher than I am. She gets her toughness from her mom, my wife :eek:)

Sci, you're right about my logs... I need to simplify.

Totz, I don't even have a power rack at my gym. I may be able to rig something on the smith machine, but not sure. I'll definitely look into it. For now, I'll keep doing my slow negatives with 1/2-a$$ed pauses at the bottom.

Back