New to HST, hows my routine?

i have to dissagree with ahrnold here ...
training more than an hour is detrimental if you dont take some protein or glucose in that hour...between 45mins and an hour in the gym cortisol is released and this uses muscle as energy..also a lot of the guys on here do 5x a wk workouts..and if you already do 5x a wk then carry on but drop the volume..instead of doing 2sets 3x a wk, do 1set 6x aweek no problem.
:D

that's simply just not correct - I agree that it's a good idea to have some sort of energy intake during a training session that last more than an hour. That being said - I do 9 exercises, 3 sets of each, in an hour and 10 minutes. If you work out more than every other day, you have to split your routine - if not, then instead of utilizing the full amount of protein syntezis, you'll break down muscle tissue before the new was built. A muscle shouldn't be trained each day for a longer period.

I went throught this a while ago... Are you using one of those bodyfat bathroom scales? If so throw it away. They are not at all reliable.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Arhnold @ Nov. 07 2005,12:17)]that's simply just not correct - I agree that it's a good idea to have some sort of energy intake during a training session that last more than an hour. That being said - I do 9 exercises, 3 sets of each, in an hour and 10 minutes. If you work out more than every other day, you have to split your routine - if not, then instead of utilizing the full amount of protein syntezis, you'll break down muscle tissue before the new was built. A muscle shouldn't be trained each day for a longer period.
ahrnold if you read the articles and faqs you will see that it is possible to train every day.

The reason HST calls for more frequent training is because the acute anabolic effects of training, such as increased protein synthesis, muscle-specific IGF-1 expression, and other factors involved in modulation of short term protein synthesis, only last for 36-48 hours. There is also mounting evidence of a "summation" effect by exercising while levels of these signals and responses are elevated, as should be expected.

This does not mean that the structural repairs to the tissue have been completed. Research has demonstrated that you can train a muscle before it is fully recovered structurally and not inhibit its ability to continue to recover.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I went throught this a while ago... Are you using one of those bodyfat bathroom scales? If so throw it away. They are not at all reliable.

Yeah that's what I have. I take it they are not accurate enough to make weekly comparisons then?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Research has demonstrated that you can train a muscle before it is fully recovered structurally and not inhibit its ability to continue to recover.

I recall a study where they cut half a rats hamstring away and made it exercise continuously. The muscle regrew very quickly despite continuous training.

Carbohydrates
High intensity exercise places great demand on glycogen stores. Glycogen is the sugar stored in the liver and muscles. Because high intensity exercise burns energy at such a high rate, the body is unable to supply sufficient oxygen to be able to use fat for fuel. Instead, it must use sugar both stored in the muscle and brought in from the blood.

Consuming simple sugars right before training can reduce the amount of glycogen used during exercise. This can prolong performance. More importantly, higher blood sugar and insulin levels appear to create a hormonal milieu favorable to anabolism (growth).

During exercise, cortisol accelerates lipolysis, ketogenesis, and proteolysis (protein breakdown). This happens in order to provide additional fuel substrates for continued exercise. The effects of cortisol may also be necessary to provide an amino acid pool from which the muscle can rebuild new contractile proteins if there are insufficient amino acids delivered from the blood. This ensures that some degree of adaptation can occur regardless of the availability of dietary protein. Over time however, if this process is not balanced with additional dietary protein, the net effect will be only maintenance or even a decrease in functional muscle tissue, as is evident during periods of starvation or prolonged dieting. Fortunately, there is only a non-significant rise in cortisol levels when carbohydrates were consumed during exercise. (Tarpenning, 1998) The net effect is a more rapid increase in the cross sectional area of the muscle fibers with the greatest effect seen in type-II fibers.

This may be a less expensive option for those who were thinking of using phosphatidylserine. In this case, carbohydrate administration appears to down regulate the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, probably through insulin or perhaps through the presence of carbohydrate itself. This would, in effect, greatly reduce the body's catabolic response to exercise stress. All good news for bodybuilders.

If you work out like this:
Monday: chest
Tuesday chest
Thursday chest
Friday Chest
Sunday chest

i.e. 5 times per week as mentioned by Dennis, then your muscle will simply not be able to grow. There is a "build up" effect if you workout the same muscle two days in a row, implying that you won't "loose" some of the protein synthesis - that's correct. But if you work out like mentioned above for a period of 8 weeks (a typical hst routine) then your protein synthesis just can't keep up and "sum up as you say" - so for the short run, I agree with you, but not in the long run

ahrnold you just lower the volume..ie.
instead of doing,3sets in 2 workouts
you do 1set in 6 workouts
so you are staying anabolic for longer :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (faz @ Nov. 09 2005,4:41)]ahrnold you just lower the volume..ie.
so you are staying anabolic for longer  :D
It's not like I dont know that - but if you read the post, you'd see, that that's not the issue - he was thinking about doing the SAME workout as before, just do it more often - he wanted more volume, and that's why my suggestion is better - at least thats what I think
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Arhnold @ Nov. 09 2005,11:42)]
[b said:
It's not like I dont know that - but if you read the post, you'd see, that that's not the issue - he was thinking about doing the SAME workout as before, just do it more often - he wanted more volume, and that's why my suggestion is better - at least thats what I think
tounge.gif
no this was the routine he wanted to do and he could do this 5x a week no problem..i think you may have misread his original thread.

HST routine

Chest BB Bench press (bit of incline) 40 45 50 55 60 65
Back BB Rows 30 32.5 35 37.5 40 42.5
Quads DB Squats 12.5 15 17.5 20 22.5 25
Delts DB press 8.75 10 11.25 12.5 13.75 15
Hams BB deadlifts 40 45 50 55 60 65
Bis DB incline curls 8.75 10 11.25 12.5 13.75 15
Tris DB Standing ext 8.75 10 11.25 12.5 13.75 15
Calves Standing calf raises Body weight, increase reps
Abs- Air bike Body weight, in

crease reps

[b said:
Quote[/b] (faz @ Nov. 10 2005,3:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Arhnold @ Nov. 09 2005,11:42)]
[b said:
tounge.gif
no this was the routine he wanted to do and he could do this 5x a week no problem..i think you may have misread his original thread.
HST routine
Chest BB Bench press (bit of incline) 40 45 50 55 60 65
Back BB Rows                           30 32.5 35 37.5 40 42.5
Quads DB Squats                                 12.5 15 17.5 20 22.5 25
Delts DB press                               8.75 10 11.25 12.5 13.75 15
Hams BB deadlifts                           40 45 50 55 60 65
Bis DB incline curls                           8.75 10 11.25 12.5 13.75 15
Tris DB Standing ext                       8.75 10 11.25 12.5 13.75 15
Calves Standing calf raises               Body weight, increase reps
Abs- Air bike                                     Body weight, in
crease reps
I think we just have to disagree here - I'd say it's better to do his workout 3-4 times per week (i.e. every other day) and increase the number of kilos and sets during the priod - that way, you utilize the entire protein synthesis instead of "summing up" as you suggested - I simply just not believe that you can sum up for 2 months, which working out 5 times a week would do

ahrnold i do a 3x a wk workout..just pointing out that it is possible to do 5,as long as you adjust the volume ..good luck :D

so wait does that mean if you do an exercise once a week (say bench for 5x5) or do bench 5 times a week (say 1x5) you will get the same results?

That doesn't seem right to me. There has to be a BETTER way of lifting over another. I would think hitting an exercise more often (as long as its not leading to overtraining) would have better results. Therefore the 5 times a week would be better, but then I think, would a 1x5 really provide enough strain for growth?

Ive done a 5x5 and 2x5 routine. The 5x5 routine seemed to make me more sore and took a little longer to recover. The 2x5 routine never made me sore and I didn't have to wait to recover, but I got better results with the 2x5. I did the 2x5 exercise 3 times a week, whereas I did the 5x5 exercise 1 time a week. I still worked out 3 times a week on the 5x5 routine, but I was doing other exercises on the other days. Each routine had the same amount of reps for that week (25), but one produced better results for me over the other. I was just curious as to why?

I hope I'm not totally off to what you guys were talking about, but you made me think.

sun-tzu the more often you train the better

The reason HST calls for more frequent training is because the acute anabolic effects of training, such as increased protein synthesis, muscle-specific IGF-1 expression, and other factors involved in modulation of short term protein synthesis, only last for 36-48 hours. There is also mounting evidence of a "summation" effect by exercising while levels of these signals and responses are elevated, as should be expected.

This does not mean that the structural repairs to the tissue have been completed. Research has demonstrated that you can train a muscle before it is fully recovered structurally and not inhibit its ability to continue to recover.

So people who do:

Monday: Chest
Tuesday: Shoulders
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Arms
Friday: Back

are wasting a lot of time?

This is saying full body is definitely better than a split routine?

I think I will just do my routine 3-4 times a week. I am on my second week of 10's now, and I do 2 sets of everything.

My scales are crap. According to my mums scales I have put on 2kg AND lost fat. Plus my commented on much bigger I look without me even mentioning anything. So I am giving HST the thumbs up.

On a couple of my off days I plan to do a short bit of cardio, just to keep me a bit fitter. Nothing to hard just a 10 min run.

I have also changed my wieghts to better tailor my needs.

You're doing both SLDLs and standard deads, however there's no squats or leg press or leg extensions...quads may be lacking a bit.

Otherwise it looks good :)

2 points to consider:

DB Press can be alternated with Standing Military Press

DB Flyes may not be required. If you find your bench is suffering b/c of flyes then don't hesitate to drop them. But don't over-analyse what I just said, if it's fine it's fine :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sun-Tzu @ Nov. 11 2005,6:56)]So people who do:
Monday: Chest
Tuesday: Shoulders
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Arms
Friday: Back
are wasting a lot of time?
This is saying full body is definitely better than a split routine?
They are wasting two-thirds of their time in the short run. They waste even more time in the long run with overtraining and plateaus.

Wow - I am obsessed with HST now.
laugh.gif

Thanks Jester. I will consider your advice.

Some points are that I only have a home gym, so I can't safely do squats without a rack. Plus I have a weak leg from ACL surgery. All I have is a bench, barbell and dumbells. I have no other machines or equipment that I can do leg extensions with. According to bodybuilding.com the dead lift focuses on quads and the SLDL focuses on the lower back.

Dead lift

Main Muscle Worked: Quadriceps
Other Muscles Worked: Hamstrings, Calves, Glutes
Equipment: Barbell
Mechanics Type: Compound

Still legged dead lift.

Main Muscle Worked: Lower Back
Other Muscles Worked: Hamstrings, Calves

I might add a military press in there though. :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DennisRB @ Nov. 15 2005,4:14)]Thanks Jester.   I will consider your advice.  
Some points are that I only have a home gym, so I can't safely do squats without a rack.  Plus I have a weak leg from ACL surgery.    All I have is a bench, barbell and dumbells.  I have no other machines or equipment that I can do leg extensions with.   According to bodybuilding.com the dead lift focuses on quads and the SLDL focuses on the lower back.
Dead lift
Main Muscle Worked: Quadriceps
Other Muscles Worked: Hamstrings, Calves, Glutes
Still legged dead lift.
Main Muscle Worked: Lower Back
Other Muscles Worked: Hamstrings, Calves
I might add a military press in there though.  :)
Hey Dennis

You're absolutely right about your choice between deads and straight deads... You could also consider sume-deads... And the military should've been there from the start
tounge.gif

Back