nkl's training log

nkl that post was amazing...holy sh*t

you collated all the stuff I was too lazy to go find for me!

1) is this mostly from the 5 BB myth thread?

2) what name do you post as over at BR?

I'm def going to start incorporating these things into my training with a vengeance. it makes perfect sense. and as such i'll be nagging you for more details because at a first glance some of it goes over my head

thanks again man!

nkl

so is blade saying you should do the 'burnout set' BEFORE the heavy rest-pause scheme?

This is where I'm getting a little confused.

As I understand it, whats basically being postulated is...

lift for about 1-2 weeks at a given weight, modified rest pause.

when the initial "set" reaches about 10 reps (then of course we add another 10 rest pause reps or whatever), its time to add more weight and make things so the initial set can only reach ~5 if we want to avoid failure.

get up to 10 ish again, and repeat.

when strength increases stall out, start adding 'burnout sets' or cut back to a lighter weight for 1-2 weeks (a pseudo SD) and ramp up again...

i think...lol.

First.
1) Yes. 5 Myths it is. That thread was a goldmine.
2) nkl as always, but I've got like 5 silly posts there. Nothing to be thrilled about.

Second: Increasing the metabolic stress
I got the impression too that Blade said so in one post, and that is one way to do it (performing vascular occlusion before the work sets to increase the metabolic stress), but that will affect the rest of the sets. I believe that it is better to do "burnout" sets after, as one of the Goto studies showed. Functional Isometrics (FI) or isometric holds every rep in the "burnout" set will increase the effect even more (max TUT, max lactate). To quote some benefits with FI (Time under Tension and Blood Lactate Response during Four Different Resistance Training Methods, by Gentil et al):
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Previous studies have reported that the FI method was superior to traditional strength training programs for increasing muscle strength (Jackson et al., 1995, O’Shea and O’Shea, 1989), especially in stronger subjects (Giorgi et al., 1998). In addition to strength gains in specific joint angles (Fleck and Kraemer, 2004) and a higher level of concentric force (Keogh et al., 1999), this could be caused by the higher TUT achieved with this RTM [Resistance Training Methods] when compared with traditional approaches (10RM), as observed in the present study.</div>
The mechanisms for the extra hyperthrophy is unknown to me, but is connected to metabolic stress - it must be high density. How about tonnage? I don't really think so, as 50% of 1RM was better than 70% of 1RM in one of the Goto studies. There are actually several Goto studies. For future reference I quote the abstracts here (bolded the important things):

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Muscular adaptations to combinations of high- and low-intensity resistance exercises.

Goto K, Nagasawa M, Yanagisawa O, Kizuka T, Ishii N, Takamatsu K.

Acute and long-term effects of resistance-training regimens with varied combinations of high- and low-intensity exercises were studied. Acute changes in the serum growth hormone (GH) concentration were initially measured after 3 types of regimens for knee extension exercise: a medium intensity (approximately 10 repetition maximum [RM]) short interset rest period (30 s) with progressively decreasing load (&quot;hypertrophy type&quot;); 5 sets of a high-intensity (90% of 1RM) and low-repetition exercise (&quot;strength type&quot;); and a single set of low-intensity and high-repetition exercise added immediately after the strength-type regimen (&quot;combi-type&quot;). Postexercise increases in serum GH concentration showed a significant regimen dependence: hypertrophy-type &gt; combi-type &gt; strength-type (p &lt; 0.05, n = 8). Next, the long-term effects of periodized training protocols with the above regimens on muscular function were investigated. Male subjects (n = 16) were assigned to either hypertrophy/combi (HC) or hypertrophy/ strength (HS) groups and performed leg press and extension exercises twice a week for 10 weeks. During the first 6 weeks, both groups used the hypertrophy-type regimen to gain muscular size. During the subsequent 4 weeks, HC and HS groups performed combi-type and strength-type regimens, respectively. Muscular strength, endurance, and cross sectional area (CSA) were examined after 2, 6, and 10 weeks. After the initial 6 weeks, no significant difference was seen in the percentage changes of all variables between the groups. After the subsequent 4 weeks, however, 1RM of leg press, maximal isokinetic strength, and muscular endurance of leg extension showed significantly (p &lt; 0.05) larger increases in the HC group than in the HS group. In addition, increases in CSA after this period also tended to be larger in the HC group than in the HS group (p = 0.08). The results suggest that a combination of high- and low-intensity regimens is effective for optimizing the strength adaptation of muscle in a periodized training program.

J Strength Cond Res. 2004 Nov;18(4):730-7
</div>
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">A single set of low intensity resistance exercise immediately following high intensity resistance exercise stimulates growth hormone secretion in men.

Goto K, Sato K, Takamatsu K.

AIM: The purpose of the present study was to examine the effects of an additional set immediately following high intensity resistance exercise on growth hormone (GH) response. METHODS: Subjects (n=8) performed 4 resistance exercise protocols (bilateral knee extension exercise) on separate days. The protocols were categorized into 2 types of protocol, namely &quot;Strength-up type (S-type)&quot; and &quot;Combination type (Combi-type)&quot;. The S-type was resistance exercise which consisted of 5 sets at 90% of 1 repetition maximum (RM) with 3-min rest periods between sets, whereas the Combi-type is a training protocol which adds an additional set (either 50% of 1 RM [C50-type], 70% of 1 RM [C70-type] or 90% of 1 RM [C90-type]) to the S-type. Serum GH concentration and blood lactate concentration were determined pre-exercise and at 0-60 min postexercise. Relative changes in thigh girth and maximal unilateral isometric strength were determined pre-exercise and immediately postexercise. RESULTS: The increasing values of GH concentration (DGH) in the S-type was the lowest of all protocols. On the other hand, DGH in the C50-type showed a significantly (p&lt;0.05) higher increase than in the S-type and C90-type, and a relatively higher increase than in the C70-type. CONCLUSION: These results suggests that a high intensity, low volume training protocol to induce neural adaptation resulted in little GH response, but GH secretion was increased by performing a single set of low intensity resistance exercise at the end of a series of high intensity resistance sets.

J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2003 Jun;43(2):243-9.
</div>
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The impact of metabolic stress on hormonal responses and muscular adaptations.

Goto K, Ishii N, Kizuka T, Takamatsu K.

PURPOSE: The purpose of this study was to examine the impact of exercise-induced metabolic stress on hormonal responses and chronic muscular adaptations. METHODS: We compared the acute and long-term effects of an &quot;NR regimen&quot; (no-rest regimen) and those of a &quot;WR regimen&quot; (regimen with rest period within a set). Twenty-six male subjects were assigned to either the NR (N = 9), WR (N = 9), or control (CON, N = 8) groups. The NR regimen consisted of 3-5 sets of 10 repetitions at 10-repetition maximum (RM) with an interset rest period of 1 min (lat pulldown, shoulder press, and bilateral knee extension). In the WR regimen, subjects completed the same protocol as the NR regimen, but took a 30-s rest period at the midpoint of each set of exercises in order to reduce exercise-induced metabolic stress. Acute hormonal responses to both regimens were measured followed by a 12-wk period of resistance training. RESULTS: Measurements of blood lactate and serum hormone concentrations after the NR and WR regimens showed that the NR regimen induced strong lactate, growth hormone (GH), epinephrine (E), and norepinephrine (NE) responses, whereas the WR regimen did not. Both regimens failed to cause significant changes in testosterone. After 12 wk of resistance training, the NR regimen caused greater increases in 1RM (P &lt; 0.01), maximal isometric strength (P &lt; 0.05), and muscular endurance (P &lt; 0.05) with knee extension than the WR regimen. The NR group showed a marked increase (P &lt; 0.01) in muscle cross-sectional area, whereas the WR and CON groups did not. CONCLUSION: These results suggest that exercise-induced metabolic stress is associated with acute GH, E, and NE responses and chronic muscular adaptations following resistance training.

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2005 Jun;37(6):955-63.
</div>
Then, as for the layout you posted, I think that's the proper way to implement it. I have also looked at Bill Star 5x5 (Madcow intermediate or linear version) and there is similarities too this approach.  When new PRs are made, at the friday workout, you add a burnout set after the PR triple. In his version it is only 8 reps, but it could be 19 reps if we would use 50% of 1RM.

I will take a premature SD right now as I've strained my lower back again! But that happened during warmup for testing my 5RM maxes (a SD was due anyway in a couple of days). How stupid of me to load too much too early in the DL warmup: BW at set 2!  
ghostface.gif

I will return to the gym with a 5x5 routine. I will tweak it to include burnout sets from the start (every workout), but no other tweaks - in the article it said &quot;Every bodybuilder seems to have Attention Deficit Disorder and an overwhelming desire to customize everything&quot;, so I'll try to not change much else. I took the liberty to include Chins on wednesdays (that was ok) and Wrist extensions/curls (who cares?).

And third, the stats:

2008-10-10:
Weight: 69,8 kg (153,6 lbs) (+0,3 kg [0,7 lbs] from yesterday) (+0,3 kg [0,7 lbs] from start, 51 days ago)
Routine: HST 5RM test (Chins, Dips, Row, Deadlift,  Squat, Wrist extensions)
Target kcal: 2653 kcal (+76 kcal) (before subtracting TEM)
Macros: 19% (109g) P; 45% (287g) C; 35% (99g) F (before subtracting TEM)

2008-10-11:
Weight: 69,1 kg (152,0 lbs) (-0,7 kg [-1,5 lbs] from yesterday) (-0,4 kg [-0,9 lbs] from start, 52 days ago)
Routine: SD
Target kcal: 1995 kcal (+4 kcal) (before subtracting TEM)
Macros: 34% (145g) P; 34% (160g) C; 32% (68g) F (before subtracting TEM)

Note: During SD I will focus on maintenance calorie intake, so my cut will end now. When I begin my EOD bulking scheme again, I'll go for 500 kcal surplus on workout days, and a 500 kcal deficit on off days. I hope this will go well with the 5x5...

2008-10-12:
Weight: 69,3 kg (152,5 lbs) (+0,2 kg [0,4 lbs] from yesterday) (-0,2 kg [-0,4 lbs] from start, 53 days ago)
Target kcal: 2043 kcal (+65 kcal) (before subtracting TEM)
Macros: 29% (125g) P; 25% (123g) C; 46% (100g) F (before subtracting TEM)

My back ache is still debilitating but lessening. I went for a one hour walk in the woods to get the blood flowing. The SD is going to be mentally hard. I have become used to working out every other day so this will feel awkward. I'm however happy with the results from my first cycle this autumn. I weigh the same (actually slightly less) but I have made ample progress, and the progress chart does not lie when LBM is concerned. The flab on my belly is just stubborn so fat must have decreased elsewhere. It is going to be interesting with the 5x5 run. Next SD will be far far away, unless I get injured again.

Hey nkl, doesn't the Med Sci Sports Exerc. article kind of contradicts MaxStim? Specially the part that says &quot;The NR group showed a marked increase (P &lt; 0.01) in muscle cross-sectional area, whereas the WR and CON groups did not&quot;.

Electric, it sure looks like it contradicts Max Stim at first glance, but there are things bear in mind here: The m-time is seldom 30 seconds (lessens density), and with Max Stim you usually also lifts heavier weights, thus getting better MU recruitment and higher tension. The most extreme Max Stim scheme would be lifting 1RM singles with as little pause as possible - talk about high density! I think Dan would agree on this one.

The thing with the NR scheme is that you elicit higher MU recruitment when the muscle become fatigued and the occlusion keeps metabolic waste from being flushed out and new fresh nutrients from entering. The muscle enviroment becomes anaerobic and another, less efficient, energy yeilding mechanisms kicks in to provide ATP for crossbridge deactivation and other processes. Etc.

At the same weight they (NR and WR) do not compare well. The study points to the potential benefits of metabolic stress.

And now: Some everyday stats...

2008-10-13:
Weight: 69,4 kg (152,7 lbs) (+0,1 kg [0,2 lbs] from yesterday) (-0,1 kg [-0,2 lbs] from start, 54 days ago)
Target kcal: 1831 kcal (+17 kcal) (before subtracting TEM)
Macros: 20% (79g) P; 28% (124g) C; 51% (99g) F (before subtracting TEM)

Here is my progress graph:
2008-10-14.jpg

2008-10-14:
Weight: 69,0 kg (151,8 lbs) (-0,4 kg [-0,9 lbs] from yesterday) (-0,5 kg [-1,1 lbs] from start, 55 days ago)
Target kcal: 1637 kcal (-197 kcal) (before subtracting TEM)
Macros: 32% (111g) P; 37% (142g) C; 31% (55g) F (before subtracting TEM)

2008-10-15:
Weight: 69,3 kg (152,5 lbs) (+0,3 kg [0,7 lbs] from yesterday) (-0,2 kg [-0,4 lbs] from start, 56 days ago)
Target kcal: 1666 kcal (-148 kcal) (before subtracting TEM)
Macros: 30% (106g) P; 33% (133g) C; 37% (65g) F (before subtracting TEM)

I'm busy planning my next cycle that will begin next week. I will begin with a mix of the Rippetoe 5x5 and Starr 5x5 program (beginner/novice level) for 4 weeks while my lower back gets proper rehabilitation (I begin very light and progress rapidly, every workout). Then I will transition over to the intermediate Starr 5x5 program with weekly progression. I will decrease volume as the weights are getting heavier. By strength standards this journey start at novice/intermediate levels and end up at advanced level. I hope I will be able to handle it.

Ok, I have tweaked it a little, but only by combining Rippetoe's routine for beginners with Starr's for intermediates and doing a transition from one to another.

My routine will look like this:

Monday
(Core 5x5): Squat, Bench, Bent over rows
(Assist 3x5): Hyper, Abs and Wrist

Wednesday
(Core 4x5): Squat, Press*, Deadlift*
(Assist 3x5): Dips, Pull-ups and Abs
* Work sets followed by 1x18 back-off set

Friday
(Core 4x5, 1x3, 1x18): Squat, Bench, Bent over rows
(Assist 3x5): Curls, Triceps extensions and Wrist

Changes from template: I moved the dips from the friday routine to wednesday, to get some balance (pectoral and triceps work every workout) and to make the workouts a little bit more efficient (I can use the same machine for assisted dips and assisted pull-ups). Wrist extensions are the only add-in. Back-off sets are 50% of 1RM. I will go easy on these to begin with (on core exercises). The template says only once a week so I follow the advice (one back-off set per core exercise per week). For assisting exercises I will play it by ear and throw in back-off sets as I see fit (and can manage). I guess I will get blasted from the heavy squatting and deadlifting anyway.

And some stats:

2008-10-16:
Weight: 69,2 kg (152,2 lbs) (-0,1 kg [-0,2 lbs] from yesterday) (-0,3 kg [-0,7 lbs] from start, 57 days ago)
Target kcal: 1609 kcal (-342 kcal) (before subtracting TEM)
Macros: 34% (116g) P; 34% (132g) C; 32% (54g) F (before subtracting TEM)
Note: Too low, I know.

2008-10-17:
Weight: 68,8 kg (151,4 lbs) (-0,4 kg [-0,9 lbs] from yesterday) (-0,7 kg [-1,5 lbs] from start, 58 days ago)
Target kcal: 2091 kcal (+99 kcal) (before subtracting TEM)
Macros: 27% (120g) P; 36% (180g) C; 37% (81g) F (before subtracting TEM)

Summation and analysis of 2 month cycle:

EDIT: Major makover of text (transfer TEM from energy intake to energy expenditure)

I've done some recalculations for my estimated activity energy expenditure to make sense of the data from these past two months. My analysis shows that my previous calculated estimates have been way too high. After the recalculations I have reached following conclusions:

1) My daily average expenditure is: 2525kcals
     Off-days average:  2353 kcals
     WO-days average: 2800 kcals

2) My original calculations, subtracting the termic effect of meals (TEM), was a correct way to balance the equations out (I have previously subtracted TEM from the caloric intake, but I should actually add them as expenditure, but that is just a matter of semantics). See 3 and 4 and the following comment.

3) My daily average surplus for the first 5 bulking weeks:  619 kcals (sum 21675) / TEM 250 (sum 8387)
    Week 1: 661 kcals (sum 4626) / TEM 254 (sum 1777)
    Week 2: 893 kcals (sum 6248) / TEM 474 (sum 3321)
    Week 3: 510 kcals (sum 3567) / TEM 149 (sum 1041)
    Week 4: 585 kcals (sum 4094) / TEM 204 (sum 1429)
    Week 5: 449 kcals (sum 3140) / TEM 117 (sum 820)

4) My daily average deficit for the last 3 1/2 cutting weeks:  -124 (sum -2969) / TEM -367 (sum -8805)
    Week 6:     -7 kcals (sum -51) / TEM -304 (sum -2128)
    Week 7:   -36 kcals (sum -255) / TEM -285 (sum -1997)
    Week 8: -306 kcals (sum -2143) / TEM -508 (sum -3553)
    Week 9: -173 kcals (sum -520 so far) / TEM -376 (sum -1128)

What is striking is that the summation of surplusses and deficits by using TEM gives -418 kcals total for the entire 2 months, compared with a mindboggling 18705 kcals for the standard way of doing the calculations, Eint vs. Eexp. The result of the TEM-calculations totally agrees with my current weight and body composition. I'm roughly 69 kg (151 lbs) now. I was 69,5 kg (153 lbs) at the start of this cycle. If I have gained 1,3 kg LBM and lost 1,8 kg fat mass then there is progress. However, I expect the LBM gains to be less, and the fat loss to be less too.

See graph (adjustments have been made for Eexp [TEM]):
2008-10-17.jpg

All this data would logically be used for setting up the next cycle.  In retrospect I feel that the deficit was too modest so I will have to make sure the deficit is greater. The surplus was about right, although I will distribute the calories better over time. The EOD/IF approach is a cornerstone in the diet so the majority of calories goes into the post-WO window (the first 24 hours) to faciilitate recovery and take advantage of a probable more favorable P-ratio. The final 24 hours before the next WO will be lower in calories. The same philosophy goes for both bulking and cutting.

I'm not sure of how long my initial bulking run will be. I will do the 5x5 scheme with a calorie surplus for a while and then I'll see where I end up in terms of FM and FFM gains.

2008-10-18:
Weight: 68,6 kg (150,9 lbs) (-0,2 kg [-0,4 lbs] from yesterday) (-0,9 kg [-2,0 lbs] from start, 59 days ago)
Target kcal: 2154 kcal (+53 kcal) (before subtracting TEM)
Macros: 20% (92g) P; 35% (178g) C; 45% (103g) F (before subtracting TEM)

In the light of the previous post, this isn't correct. This is how it should look like:

Energy expenditure: 2298 kcal (BMR: 1610 kcal; Activities: 490 kcal; TEM: 197 kcal)
Energy intake: 2154 kcal (-144 kcal)
Macros: 20% (92g) P; 35% (178g) C; 45% (103g) F

And it explains why I have lost weight while, as I was led to believe, keeping maintenance calories. Forgetting to include TEM was a flaw in my logging. One error fxed.

Last day for 1st cycle this season. Tomorrow begins 2nd cycle. After tidying up loose ends, here is the stats:

2008-10-19:
Weight: 68,8 kg (151,4 lbs) (+0,2 kg [0,4 lbs] from yesterday) (-0,7 kg [-1,5 lbs] from start, 60 days ago)
Energy expenditure: 2256 kcal (BMR: 1610 kcal; Activities: 405 kcal; TEM: 240 kcal)
Energy intake: 2248 kcal (-8 kcal)
Macros: 27% (131g) P; 34% (180g) C; 39% (93g) F

The graph shows current progress and my new LBM goal.
2008-10-20.jpg

As you can see, my goal is set.

Aside for wishful thinking, this cycle is much better planned than the former. My former cycle was fraud with the errors you make when you don't have everything worked out yet. Let's just review some errors, so that we might learn something not to do in the future.

First I did overestimate my expenditure while setting the calorie goal at +1000 kcals after subtracting TEM. I gained too rapidly so I lowered my intake (good for me) and stopped using intake after TEM as a goal (that was actually a mistake). I was stll gaining ridiculously fat around my waist. Then I discovered that my activity expenditure figures were set way to high (BMR counted twice). I revised them to more appropriate values and begun cutting, but when I started my SD at maintenance I was surprised that I still lost weight (unfavorable LBM loss!). I then discovered that I had neglected to take TEM into account as an expenditure. What the--?!

Everything fixed. Then, as I begun my revision of previous data to set a new healthy goal, I begun to understand how bad I had erred with these wrong parameters: At worst my caloric excess was +1670 kcals on a WO day! During the first 28 days my average WO kcals were +1220! No wonder my belly grew too.

By now I know what numbers I should be using. On WO days I will go for +500 kcals (including TEM in TEE) and on off days I shoot for maintenance. This is considered a bulk rather than a recomp. A weekly surplus of +1500 kcals means +13500 kcals over 9 weeks. Translated to relevant numbers, that is either pure 7,2 kg LBM, or pure 1,4 kg FM (cost of synthesis accounted for). But at a normal P-ratio of 1:1 (protein:fat) then it would yield 3,6 kg LBM and 0,7 kg FM. But as oxidation burns away a large part, these numbers are unlikely. A modest estimate: If oxidation burns 50% and ratio is 1:1, I would put on 1,8 kg LBM and 0,35 kg FM (a 2,15 kg BW increase). But at a P-ratio 1:1 (LBM:FM) this gives another figure. I hope for a good P-ratio.

Well, here we go again!  
tounge.gif

Ah, first day after SD. How heavenly to throw around some iron again! Although it was very lightweight...  
cool.gif

2008-10-20:
Weight: 68,8 kg (151,4 lbs) (+0,0 kg [0,0 lbs] from yesterday) (-0,7 kg [-1,5 lbs] from start, 61 days ago)
Routine: 5x5 A (Core 5x5: Squat 40 kg, Bench 55, Row 40; Aux 3x5: Wrist 8, Hyper BW, Abs 35)
Energy expenditure: 2643 kcal (BMR: 1610 kcal; Activities: 610 kcal; TEM: 423 kcal)
Energy intake: 3140 kcal (+497 kcal)
Macros: 38% (252g) P; 43% (321g) C; 19% (64g) F

Skinfold: 13,5 mm (17% BF)
Waist: 86 cm
Biceps: 32,3 cm (flexed - lost some during cut and SD)

2008-10-21:
Weight: 69,9 kg (153,8 lbs) (+1,1 kg [2,4 lbs] from yesterday) (+0,4 kg [0,9 lbs] from start, 62 days ago)
Routine: Recovery
Energy expenditure: 2469 kcal (BMR: 1610 kcal; Activities: 605 kcal; TEM: 253 kcal)
Energy intake: 2436 kcal (-33 kcal)
Macros: 27% (138g) P; 31% (180g) C; 42% (110g) F

glad to see you're still going strong nkl

I'm not sure what this TEM business is about and how you went wrong/corrected it

I was going to ask you to work your mathematical magic on my average weights and tell me why i'm not gaining anything! lol

I think I'm underestimating my intake

TEM: simply put, the cost of transforming/transporting the different nutrients. This expenditure is in direct proportion to intake. To compute you take your protein intake x 0,25, carbs x 0,07, and fat x 0,03 to get the TEM expenditure.

Omitting this expenditure and you'r off by some 200-300 kcals a day. I did think correctly from the start, but since I subtracted this from my intake it felt kind of wierd, and when I started to gain a lot, I first came to think that I might have been wrong about this and began to count the caloric intake without subtracting anything, at least for the kcal target. It worked while I was aiming for a surplus (the surplus was reduced), but when I started cutting, omitting this expenditure I was very low on calories, and when I begun my SD I aimed for maintenance but then I discovered that I still dropped rapidly in weight. Hence, half the cycle I was off target by, perhaps, 250 kcals and I probably lost more LBM than I initially wished, esp. during SD. I have fixed this now, but this time I have put TEM in the right place - as an expenditure - not a reduction in intake. However, it's exactly the same calculation.

The magic:
BMR: =370+(21,6*LBM)
Physical Activities Expenditure (PAE) for a 156 lbm person:
Sleeping: -5 kcal/h
Sitting: 5 kcal/h
Standing: 10 kcal/h
Weight training: 250 kcal/h (hard to estimate)
I put light activities at 50 kcal/h (walking about, office work, prepearing dinner, etc.)
TEM: as described above
TEE = BMR + PAE + TEM

Some stats:
2008-10-22:
Weight: 69,8 kg (153,6 lbs) (-0,1 kg [-0,2 lbs] from yesterday) (+0,3 kg [0,7 lbs] from start, 63 days ago)
Routine: 5x5 B (Core 4x5: Squat, Press, Deads; Aux 3x5: Chins, Dips, Abs)
Energy expenditure: 2844 kcal (BMR: 1610 kcal; Activities: 760 kcal; TEM: 473 kcal)
Energy intake: 3923 kcal (+1079 kcal)!!!
Macros: 27% (196g) P; 49% (359g) C; 16% (116g) F; 8% (60g) Alcohol

Edit: I used the wrong kcal values for an ingredient, now corrected.
Edit2: Had to use the correct TEM on alcohol too (similar to protein: subract 10-30%, I used 25%).

Note: I had a very large dinner out with my company and I had previously already had my post-WO meals. There was a lot of calories from alcohol (600 kcal including sugar content). I have to reduce my intake tomorrow to make it 250 a day.

2008-10-23:
Weight: 70,0 kg (154,0 lbs) (+0,2 kg [0,4 lbs] from yesterday) (+0,5 kg [1,1 lbs] from start, 64 days ago)
Note: Stepped on the scale this evening to even out the late night feast bulk
Energy expenditure: 2051 kcal (BMR: 1610 kcal; Activities: 285 kcal; TEM: 156 kcal)
Energy intake: 1238 kcal (-813 kcal)
Macros: 41% (108g) P; 11% (33g) C; 48% (63g) F

2008-10-24:
Weight: 69,6 kg (153,1 lbs) (-0,4 kg [-0,9 lbs] from yesterday) (+0,1 kg [0,2 lbs] from start, 65 days ago)
Routine: 5x5 C (Core: 4x5: Squat, Bench, Row; Aux 3x5: Curls, Tri-Ext, Wrist)
Energy expenditure: 2640 kcal (BMR: 1610 kcal; Activities: 580 kcal; TEM: 450 kcal)
Energy intake: 3192 kcal (+552 kcal)
Macros: 35% (236g) P; 40% (303g) C; 25% (86g) F

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have fixed this now, but this time I have put TEM in the right place - as an expenditure - not a reduction in intake. However, it's exactly the same calculation.
</div>

but mathematically and functionally that amounts to the same thing no?

I wonder if the formulas we use to calculate maintenance calories already include an average TEM adjustment?

One thing I have found for myself is cardio is best counted not towards the training per week that generates the average 14-16 X BW for maintenance, but as actually inducing a deficit. This is part of why I believe I lost weight too quickly at certain points during my cut.

if you would indulge me, where would your method of calculation put me calorie wise?

154 lbs
Lifting 4 X/week plus 1-2 cardio sessions
bartending 3 nights a week (constant movement)
maybe another 1.5 hr of walking on campus at school per week
a lot of reading/studying

EDIT: nm, i see you laid out all the equations for me!

Being, I suggest you track your expenditure hour to hour to get a more exact figure (just plotting down some notes in the evening). Also you need to get your LBM figures to compute your BMR. I would say bartending will rob you of a lot of calories as moving around on your feet is, by my standards, active (~100 kcals/h above BMR). You need to determine how much you walk or are on your feet during the day (showering, making dinner, pacing at the library, etc.). I have made a pretty good estimation of my movement patterns so I can predict my weight changes. It is starting to become mathematics rather than mere hit or miss, but I do not consider myself at my goal yet. There are unknows that need to be worked out (hydration, cutting P-ratio, etc.).

TEM is not accounted for in the Catch-McArdle equation I use for determining BMR. TEM is also varying with your intake of nutrients so it's a moving target.

2008-10-25:
Weight: 70,3 kg (154,7 lbs) (+0,7 kg [1,5 lbs] from yesterday) (+0,8 kg [1,8 lbs] from start, 66 days ago)
Energy expenditure: 2284 kcal (BMR: 1610 kcal; Activities: 405 kcal; TEM: 269 kcal)
Energy intake: 2650 kcal (+366 kcal)
Macros: 25% (142g) P; 32% (203g) C; 43% (120g) F
Note: Perhaps not one of my better food days, from a diet perspective, but it was tasty (carbs IF style in the evening though).

Back