One month / one pound

Wedgewod

For purposes of quality weight gain w/ a minimum of fat gain, what do you think about increasing bodyweight by one pound per month (in conjunction w/HST)?

It seems to me that if an individual committed their diet to acquire one additional pound per month (not more or less), then the slow methodical weight gain would provide an environment where the body would "settle in" to the new weight (i.e. lean mass as opposed to fat).

I'm sure there's probably some reason why it isn't that simple, but on paper it seems like a pretty good idea (at least for one or two years).

Thanks,
BB

regardless of how good it might be for lean mass gains, it would be impractical. how would you tell if you were on track? Scales are far too insensitive to determine under 1lb increments. you would simply get to the end of the month and either decide that you succeeded or failed.
Lets imagine, you got to the end of the month and found that you put on no weight at all. that means next month you have to up the calories a little bit. What happens if the same occurs the next month. Thats two entire months of no growth!

Also, 1lb could be due to very small changes is hydration levels etc.

Bulking is fun.

and trying to track 1lb differences over a month is an exercise in futility unfortunately.
I know that some people like to try to gain lbm only, but if you want to have the body in an anabolic enviroment, fat is going to be getting bigger too. If you dont like getting too fat, do shorter bulking dieting phases, not the usually end of summer, autum, winter, beginign of spring bulk, then urgently get cut for summer rush.
:)

The majority of trainees are never going to gain muscle without a day to day calorie surplus and some fat gain is going to be inevitable.How are you ever going to track this trying to gain only a pound a month,I'd agree with the earlier comment that your weight can vary more than this from one day to the next.Gain some pounds,monitor your waist and when your getting too fat do a trimming cycle and then bulk again.
happy.gif

Eating well over your maintenance level of calories not only provides calories, but it also stimulates anabolic reactions.

Just read (again) a Berardi article that suggested that some may gain more fat on, say, 500 cals over maintenance, but if they increase further still they begin to gain more lean mass. Interesting idea.

I don't understand all the physiological intricacies involved, so from an uninformed, logical standpoint it didn't make much sense to me.

There's a simple question that still puzzles me about nutrition.
I'm small but relatively young and I wanna definitely grow as much as I can (wanna be HUGE...
laugh.gif
).Now the question is: will my lean gains be directely proportional to my caloric intake or there is a calorie limit over which the additional weight gained is only fat?
I mean say I gain 2 pound every 2 weeks of which 1 pound is muscle at X calories,can I expect to gain 4 pound of which 2 are lean at 2X calories?

...if your answer is yes I will start next cycle at 1000 over mainteinance... ;)

No, unfortuantely muscle anabolism has to do with many other things than just total calorie intake. 1000kcal over maintenance can be still used tho, just monitor fat percentages and go for it.
But 2lbs every 2 weeks is about right, 4lbs is a bit much. Muscle can only grow so quickly.

yes I'm currently gaining around 1 lb per week at 2500Kcl. but I asked that because watching the mirror I cant really see a net fat gain, I lost a bit of definition of course but nothing much noticeable.
Actually I should say that up to now (first 2 weeks of this cycle) I am just regaining what I lost during last sd (if you remember my post I lost a bit too much.
I will see how it goes on, but if I keep gaining at this rate without noticeable fat gain should I add calories or as I understood 1lb/week is an upper bound?

Back