Quickest way to Bigger Biceps

My dumbbells go upto 17.5kg each at the moment and that is way beyond my 1 RM max. Before I did a week of SD Strategic deconditioning I could do 30 dips times 2 sets and 15 chin ups times 2 sets.

I think all i want to do now is train biceps, triceps and shoulders.
I may cluster 36 reps from here on.

Since Im about to finish my 15's I may begin to do
8's for the next two weeks then the 5's.

I dont get why somone with 12 inch biceps would need to add 15lbs to
gain 1 inch in the bicep, when they are so small. You would think only those going from 16 inch bi's to 17 inch bi's would need to add 15lbs.

The 15 pound thing applies to everyone, newbie or not, the only difference is that being a newbie you'll get gains quicker if you apply the rules correctly.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think all i want to do now is train biceps, triceps and shoulders.
I may cluster 36 reps from here on.</div>

I'll call this a mistake, although all of those have their place HST is about full body training, what you may want to do is to emphasize these a little more than you normal training.

I agree it may be a mistake, so i'll try it for two weeks and if i dont increase my arms by another .2 inch i will go back to full body workouts.

But I do know its possible its possible to just train your arms and make them bigger. Look at gymnast and Jack Johnson the boxer, he has a small chest (36 inches) compared to his nice (16 inch arms)

Yes it is possible to just train the arms and have them grow. Hypertrophy is a specific adaption, if your guns are carrying bigger loads and nothing else, they are the only thing that will get bigger. (although, personally, I'm a full body guy)

<div>
(Turk Malloy @ Apr. 25 2007,11:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I agree it may be a mistake, so i'll try it for two weeks and if i dont increase my arms by another .2 inch i will go back to full body workouts.

But I do know its possible its possible to just train your arms and make them bigger. Look at gymnast and Jack Johnson the boxer, he has a small chest (36 inches) compared to his nice (16 inch arms)</div>
gymnast train fullbody,jack johnson was a boxer they train fullbody.
you are sounding more and more like a troll
rock.gif

<div>
(faz @ Apr. 25 2007,06:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">you are sounding more and more like a troll
rock.gif
</div>
2 pages of varied but related (all pretty much agree on heavy full body compounds) responses just to ultimately disregard every suggestion does leave the sour odor of troll in ones nostrils...

On the off chance that we're mistaking obstinance for trolling , this would at the very least be a good example of how to exhaust the good will of the collective gathering rather quickly wouldn't it now?

<div>
(Turk Malloy @ Apr. 25 2007,06:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I agree it may be a mistake, so i'll try it for two weeks and if i dont increase my arms by another .2 inch i will go back to full body workouts.</div>
This is ridiculous! My arms will vary by .25 inches from day to day even hour to hour depending on my hydration and glycogen levels.

Stop being silly and work your whole body like a good bodybuilder would! There is no point in having huge arms that can lift so much weight that your legs collapse!

Style is correct, hypertrphy is a specific adaptation to a demand and if your goal is to build your arms and shoulders than naturally your will need to load these muscles.

I would still use progressive loading ala HST or any other method. Since you are limited in the weight, 39 lbs, you will probably have no choice but to use isolation movements except for as already stated Dips and CHins.

Good examples for DB exercises are.
SHoulders
Arnold Press
Lateral Raise

Triceps
DB Tri Ext
Kick Backs

Biceps
Concentration Curls
Incline Curls
Standing DB Curls

Pick one or two of each and use them ala HST but you'll need to buy more weight soon.

Good LUck

Well the consensus is I should do whole body workouts
but add emphasis to my arms.

I believe I will do full body workouts and increase my diet.
What things can I do to emphasis my arm training?

Should my arms be the first thing I train?
Also I think the consenus is I should be using isolation exercise on the arms
and a compound for the whole body.

So since I will be doing whole body exercises, what things can I do to emphasis my arms?

Dips and Chins.Dips and Chins.Dips and Chins.Dips and Chins.Dips and Chins.Dips and Chins.Dips and Chins.Dips and Chins.Dips and Chins.Dips and Chins.Dips and Chins.Dips and Chins.Dips and Chins.Dips and Chins.Dips and Chins.Dips and Chins.Dips and Chins.

<div>
(Turk Malloy @ Apr. 26 2007,17:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well the consensus is I should do whole body workouts
but add emphasis to my arms.

I believe I will do full body workouts and increase my diet.
What things can I do to emphasis my arm training?

Should my arms be the first thing I train?
Also I think the consenus is I should be using isolation exercise on the arms
and a compound for the whole body.

So since I will be doing whole body exercises, what things can I do to emphasis my arms?</div>
It's all about curls. Don't stop doing them. Stay off of internet forums because they will only distract you from your curls. Workout in a far corner of the gym, don't bug anyone, and just keep doing those curls. Dumbbell curls, hammer curls, straight bar curls, e-z bar curls, preacher curls, curly curls, and when you get tired of curls, do some tricep pushdowns. Always stare at yourself in the mirror when you do these exercises, and go for the pump. Chicks dig the pump. Don't ever do squats or deadlifts, because they give you squat butt and chicks hate squat butt.

If you want to add arm size then you are going to have to load them.

If you choose not to do whole body then that's fine, it's up to you and you alone.

The biceps grow just like any other muscle and you'll need progressive load, whether it's from from Dumbells, Chins, Dips or whatever else you have available. As I said before pick a couple arm movements, use progressive load and they will grow.

Okay Thanks everyone for the help.
Right now my RM 1 max is 15 and since my DBs go to 17.5
and my 5 RMs are 13.75 looks like I will have 2 more vanilla HST till I run out of weights.

Thanks for the advice Dan Moore.

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Apr. 26 2007,19:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you want to add arm size then you are going to have to load them.

If you choose not to do whole body then that's fine, it's up to you and you alone.

The biceps grow just like any other muscle and you'll need progressive load, whether it's from from Dumbells, Chins, Dips or whatever else you have available. As I said before pick a couple arm movements, use progressive load and they will grow.</div>
You do realise this is a waste, do you not?There are times when one must say:enough!And stop being helpful...you`re far too helpful Dan
wink.gif

Back