Sci's HST Log

Rows and Chins are not very similar exercises in there common forms though they can be made more similar by varying the grip. Here are EMG measurements for both exercises showing very different levels of muscle fiber activation. The first number is the mean and the second peak.

Long Head of Biceps Lat Mid Trap Lower Trap
90 lb Chin Up 107.0 - 205.0 108.0 - 159.0 41.9 - 80.2 58.3 - 104.0

90 lb DB Bent Over Row 14.4 - 73.6 63.0 - 140.0 123.0 - 226.0 99.0 - 160.0

Taken from:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...de_the_muscles_best_back_and_biceps_exercises

I don’t have EMG measurements at hand but from what I’ve read and how my body has responded Deadlifts and Cleans are more similar to Rows than Chins, so based on that, if you only want to do two back exercises then yes Chins would better complement Deadlifts if you are Deadlifting every workout. However, if you are Deadlifting at all or say only once a week then doing some form or “horizontal” pulling movement is almost a necessity if you want to maximize upper back development. Not to mention balancing out the opposing muscles used for Benching which if not done can lead to shoulder problems especially with the overemphasis many lifters place on pushing exercises.

EDIT: I can't get the column titles to stay formatted.

I'm always dubious of over-emphasising the significance EMG data, but ignoring my natural skepticism, I would say that the exercises still use the same muscles, albeit in different proportions (which is essentially what the EMG data indicates anyway).

I would struggle to accept that a sizeable back cannot be built using only chins/pulls OR rows. I still would not use both exercises in a single workout if either was to be done at > 2 sets // 8-10 reps in 5RM range.

The issue isn't specifically that muscles aren't being worked enough. The issue is that certain muscles (especially biceps, and lats) are going to be overworked an inhibit training. This isn't a single-session issue. Doing ~15-20reps of heavy chins/pulls and then rows will leave you struggling to hit the same #'s 24hrs later.

Do chins for one cycle and rows for the next, or alternate them across workouts. Either that or grab some tren/hgh etc. Lower individual volume but same total volume will also work just fine.

Pumped up my arms with dumbells and measured.
Right arm: 16.25 inches
left arm: 16 inches

Personal RECORD!
Photos to follow.

IMG_0782.jpgIMG_0783.jpg

Not much definition, a bit fat, but still a record is a record.

Last edited:
Nice work Sci!

I’m interested in knowing if the difference between your arms is in the peak of your biceps or just overall circumference? I’m curious because my left biceps has always had a more pronounced peak than my right even though they always end up measuring the same.

Our baby is born, so happy to meet my new daughter! Now I have two beautiful little girls.

Congratulations!

Now stop goofing off and go hit the weights.

P. S. sounds like you are getting seriously outnumbered.

Our baby is born, so happy to meet my new daughter! Now I have two beautiful little girls.

That's so good to hear! Congratulations to you and your expanded family. :)

Don't forget that at some point, you have the responsibility of teaching them both how to clean & jerk! I guess that gives you a few years to learn to be a good coach.

Have a great weekend, Mr. & Mrs. Scientific Muscle! :)

Congrats. What was the weight? Are you going to try for another?

I'm due to have mine on the 13th, but he's already 9 lbs for some reason as of last week's ultrasound, so who knows what they will do.

How was the labor?

She is 21 inches, 3.796 kg.s, 8lb.s 6 oz.
Labor was awesome, wife delivered natural in 6 hours at the hospital.

I am on a whole new level for the New Year, with the arrival of my daughter.

I finally decided how to include all the movements I want in an abbreviated, frequent training program....

I came up with:
Day1:
Dips
Chins
Leg Press

Day2:
Incline Bench
Cable Rows
Leg Press

Day3:
Dips
Chins
Dead Lift

3x/week Frequency, whole body.

Then I noticed that this program looked familiar...that is because it lines well with the "Texas Method" of weight programming for intermediates.

Just add the volume and intensity in...and recycle every week. Going to ramp up of course, as in HST. And tweak it for HST.

Day1: Volume Day(5x5)
Dips
Chins
Leg Press

Day2: Assistance Day(2x10)
Incline Bench
Cable Rows
Leg Press

Day3: Peak Strength Day(1x5)
Dips
Chins
Dead Lift

ramp up weights for 6 weeks, 1 week SD, start over, ala HST.

Having two daughters is an amazing feat for any father - but one that is more rewarding than anything I can think of. Congratulations, Sci. I'm glad that the delivery went well and everyone is healthy.

I am on a whole new level for the New Year, with the arrival of my daughter.

I finally decided how to include all the movements I want in an abbreviated, frequent training program....

I came up with:
Day1:
Dips
Chins
Leg Press

Day2:
Incline Bench
Cable Rows
Leg Press

Day3:
Dips
Chins
Dead Lift

3x/week Frequency, whole body.

Then I noticed that this program looked familiar...that is because it lines well with the "Texas Method" of weight programming for intermediates.

Just add the volume and intensity in...and recycle every week. Going to ramp up of course, as in HST. And tweak it for HST.

Day1: Volume Day(5x5)
Dips
Chins
Leg Press

Day2: Assistance Day(2x10)
Incline Bench
Cable Rows
Leg Press

Day3: Peak Strength Day(1x5)
Dips
Chins
Dead Lift

ramp up weights for 6 weeks, 1 week SD, start over, ala HST.

Do you also plan to ramp up the assistance day?

Back