Serious question

Ruhl

Instead of buying iron supplements, why can't I scrape tiny specks of iron off a barbell plate?

crazy.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ruhl @ June 03 2003,11:09)]Instead of buying iron supplements, why can't I scrape tiny specks of iron off a barbell plate?
sweet mother of god.

um, in no particular order

1) you're banking on it being COMPLETELY iron
2) catastrophic risk of infection
3) exceptionally poor bioavailability short of being able to physically/chemically process the material
4) it's just crazy and retarded

This reminds me of this guy in the guinness book who ate a whole car, complete with engine, plastic parts and tires over a year's time. Hmmm... with a little ketchup it won't be bad :D

...and when he crapped it out again, it was a complete Olympic barbell set with rubber coated plates and a power rack.... Amazing guy, really :D

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Hmmm got me thinkin' ... maybe he could also eat some magnets and
we could sell his "droppings" as platemates. IF he eats a lot of fiber we'd
have 1 1/2 lbs , IF he's on a Keto diet might get some 5 lbs :)

Ruhl I hope you're just kidding around.

If you cook using an iron skillet or even stainless steel pots and pans you will get iron from the pan. That would spare the knurling on your bar.
thumbs-up.gif

Dear Ruhl,

Rust, the stuff you find on your barbell plate, is iron (III) oxide. The iron in rust is Fe3+. Your body can only utilize Fe2+, not Fe3+. Rust is toxic, and scraping off little specks does not mean you won't risk poisoning as the others have highlighted.

Furthermore, do you really need iron supplements? If you eat meat (especially red meat) on a frequent basis, you probably do not need iron supplementation.

Please do not scrape the specks of iron off your barbell plate.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing.

Back