Slapshotz' SST journal

<div>
(Slapshotz @ May 27 2008,8:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Haven't dropped off the face of the earth, just in the midst of a 10 or so day SD. After reading all the good stuff about it right here on this site, I figured I was a primo candidate to benefit from more frequent SDs given how heavy I train, the fact that I am doing intense cardio along with heavy training, and my age.

If I come back stronger, it will definitely become part of my permanent routine.</div>
Happy SD!

Back from SD!

Barbbell squats:

135 - 10
185 - 10
225 - 6
275 - 3
295 - 3
225 - 6

Incline Dumbbell Press:

70s x 10
80s x 6

Calves
Abs
Machine chest work

NOTES:

I'm a true believer.  More frequent and longer SDs are an absolute must when you -
(a) are a heavy lifter....and
(b) do intense cardio...and
© 90 percent of your lifts are major compound movements like squats, deads, bench, pullups, dips
(d) are begrudgingly getting older
laugh.gif

I came back more energized and stronger than when I left, and physically, I didn't appear to lose anything.  I did do two or three HIT cardio sessions, calves and abs during the SD, but no weights.

Welcome back Slapz! That's some darn heavy squatting for a first session after SD. I expect you'll be walking like a rodeo guy tomorrow!
biggrin.gif

Too true about the effects of getting older too.
mad.gif

<div>
(Lol @ May 30 2008,6:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Welcome back Slapz! That's some darn heavy squatting for a first session after SD. I expect you'll be walking like a rodeo guy tomorrow!  
biggrin.gif

Too true about the effects of getting older too.
mad.gif
</div>
Already feeling it in the legs...but the soreness shouldn't be &quot;as&quot; bad since I did some running &amp; sprinting work during the SD. I have found that running on a consistent basis really keeps the leg soreness at bay.

And I am quite surprised at how I find my body reacting as I approach 40. More rest is better. 15 years ago, if I missed one workout, it all went to crap (or so it seemed in my head).

But like any skill, I can walk in the gym and do what needs to be done quickly and efficiently, using a maximal effort that requires an increasing amount of time to recover from.

If I hit new all time PRs with this setup, I'll have somewhat of a scientific basis for preaching additional and more frequent SDs for the older folk'
laugh.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm a true believer.  More frequent and longer SDs are an absolute must when you -
(a) are a heavy lifter....and
(b) do intense cardio...and
© 90 percent of your lifts are major compound movements like squats, deads, bench, pullups, dips
(d) are begrudgingly getting older</div>
ditto....
just (a) and (d) are enough reasons to suit me...heck, maybe just (d) alone
smile.gif

Back Day

Unstrapped overhand deads:

225 x 6
275 x 3
225 x 8

Unstrapped Over/under:

325 x 6

One-armed pullups:

Right arm x 4
Left arm x 4

BW chinups

BW - 20
BW - 20

Abs
Calves
Done!

Notes:

Gonna be hard to break the 275 barrier on overhand strapless deads. It's clearly a function of grip, and while my grip is pretty decent, it hasn't improved much since I started doing strapless deadlifting. I may just have to focus on overhand/underhand grips, where I at least can move respectable weight, and save the overhand tries for single reps. Thoughts anyone?

How about doing your warmup sets for deads with regular grip and then do all your work sets with a reverse grip? Then do a few sets of static holds working up from 275. That way you won't compromise your deads.

When I am as light as you are I will hopefully join you in the one-arm pullups! I have a ways to go!
laugh.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Jun. 03 2008,5:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How about doing your warmup sets for deads with regular grip and then do all your work sets with a reverse grip? Then do a few sets of static holds working up from 275. That way you won't compromise your deads.

When I am as light as you are I will hopefully join you in the one-arm pullups! I have a ways to go!
laugh.gif
</div>
mighty fine suggestion there, lol...and I plan on incorporating it.

Warmups with overhand grip
Work sets with over/under
Static holds working up from 275 to improver the ol grip

Sold!

As far as one armed pullups, pray you are never as light as me...with your height, you'll look anorexic
laugh.gif

The way I see it, to do a 1 arm pullup, I'd have to be able to do a regular one with 200+ lbs. strapped to my belt...almost 100lbs more than I can do!

Still, it's a good deal for anyone at any weight to do. Even Slappajamma!

<div>
(quadancer @ Jun. 03 2008,7:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The way I see it, to do a 1 arm pullup, I'd have to be able to do a regular one with 200+ lbs. strapped to my belt...almost 100lbs more than I can do!

Still, it's a good deal for anyone at any weight to do. Even Slappajamma!</div>
lol, you're too kind, old man!

Tomorrow is leg day, and I am gunning for a 305 ATG. Unfortunately, the wife is out all morning doing her hair, which means my son better not drive me crazy b/4 workout time! I dunno how I'll get into the zone...d'oh!

LEG DAY

ATG Barbbell Squats:
135 x 10
185 x 8
225 x 6
275 x 3
305 x 3
cool.gif

225 x 8

Flat Bench Press:
205 x 8
205 x 8
205 x 8
***shoulder pain, thus the pu$$y weight

Single Leg leg raises
Cable x-overs

NOTES: Well, now that I have a proper squat form, it is my shoulders (specifically left one) that is taking a beating. Resting the bar that far down my back puts a whole lotta pressure on the delts. But it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make right now. My chest looks decent no matter what, and I really am focussing on legs / leg power these days.

Next fit test coming up in a week.....dunno if I'm ready.

Trying to improve strength AND cardiovascular endurance while eating a LOW CARB diet is a tough order for anyone, let alone a weekend warrior type like me. I upped the carbs just slightly the last couple days, and it made a huge difference in energy levels. Trouble is, too many carbs aggravates my reflux disease and affects my asthma, which is pretty much nonexistant when the carbs are low.

It's a tough call, but I'll *try* adding some more carbs during the day, and see how I respond.

Back Day:

Strapless deads, o/u grip

135 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 6
365 x 5
biggrin.gif

225 x 10

One-armed pullups
Wide grip pullups
Calves
Abs

NOTES: After deads, I had nothing in the tank...it was like 100 degrees here today, no exaggeration, and my energy levels went to **** after the deadlifts...but at least those were decent. I think the 365 was a new pb for strapless pulls.

I actually like the heat in my gym here in Ga. - once I'm in a full sweat with the fans circulating a bit of air. My joints like the heat much better than winter; I have to wear sweats and long britches in the cold.
AWESOME deads for a guy your weight...but also totally expected from you, Mighty Mouse!
MuscleMouse.jpg

<div>
(Slapshotz @ Jun. 09 2008,5:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Back Day:

Strapless deads, o/u grip

135 x 10
225 x 6
315 x 6
365 x 5
biggrin.gif

225 x 10

NOTES: After deads, I had nothing in the tank...it was like 100 degrees here today, no exaggeration, and my energy levels went to **** after the deadlifts...but at least those were decent. I think the 365 was a new pb for strapless pulls.</div>
Whoa...!! Awesome deads.

Back from the dead
mad.gif

You know, one thing I always prided myself on was my overall health. Sure, I got the infrequent cold or sinus problem, but it never lasted very long, and I was able to resume lifting in short order.

Well, something seems to have changed, because I just suffered my third sinus infection since March, as well as my third round of antibiotics to treat it
mad.gif

Needless to say, I've been a pretty miserable f*ck these last few weeks. When I can't train, I get ornery, and unfortunately, the whole house suffers. I just hate being sick.

Anyhoo, I did some retrospective analysis, and I'm taking a stab at the fact that my carb increase over the last few months may be to blame.

Anyone who knows my saga knows I'm carb sensitive...they give me reflux, create a feeling of malaise, and increase my propensity to get ill. However, like most of us, when we start feeling better after whatever ailment was bothering us, we DONE FORGET TO DO WHAT MADE US HEALTHY IN THE FIRST PLACE, and slip back into old habits.

My carb increase was not dramatic, but it was just enough, I think, to set me back on the health front...just enough to cause me to repeatedly get ill.

So, I'm back on the bandwagon, @ 100 grams per day or less, and I'll see if that helps. I also may increase my allergy injections to once every 2 weeks instead of once per month, and see if that helps.

So, yesterday was my first day back after an unplanned 10 or so day SD. I'm all for more frequent SDs, I just want them to be on my terms, not b/c I'm getting sick. I was making really good progress, too, before the setback.

Barbbell ATG Squats
185 x 10
225 x 5
275 x 4
225 x 8

Flat Bench Press
185 x 8
205 x 5
205 x 5

Shrugs
315 x 12
365 x 12

Calves

NOTES: First day back, pretty weak. Squats were okay, but 275 felt heavy. I dunno if 100 grams per day of carbs will enable any new PRs anytime soon, but it's far more important that I remain healthy enough to at least make it to the gym.
mad.gif

Wow, I think I set a record for
mad.gif
icons in one post
laugh.gif

I take it you are not starting an HST cycle as those weights are not light! I'm glad to see you are back in the swing of things.

All the best to you Slapz. Sickness sucks (as does orneriness!
smile.gif
)! Hope you get a good long summer stint of health now. After SD everything feels heavy to me even when I'm using loads for 15s and you've jumped back in much higher than that. Just don't go and cane yourself too much too soon. Nice and steady is the order of the day until you are back firing on all cylinders.

LOL, Colby &amp; TR, thanks for the kind words, gents!!

Had two workouts since my last post, so here's the key lifts.

Chins - BW+25 x 8 x 4

Squats - 295 x 4
smile.gif

Preacher curls - 105 x 5

NOTES: Feeling better, and the gym numbers are starting to creep back up. It's a good thing I do squats so often....with the frequency I've been able to train lately, I'm sure my physique would have suffered.

On the negative side, I'm having serious reservations about playing football this fall. My achilles hurts and/or is stiff every day....and I mean every day. Not a day goes by that I don't know it s there.

All the literature I've read states that a constantly stiff/sore achilles is prime for rupture. I just don't see how football will be possible without extensive rehab, and I just don't have the time to do it...and even if I did rehab it, rupture is a very real possibility because it's happened to me before in my other leg. A lifetime of orthodic shoe inserts has caused both my achilles tendons to shrink, and the shrinkage is, unfortunately, permanent.

So now, I'm left to mull my future training scenarios. I can't reasonably expect to gain big strength, as I am unwilling to bulk, and the extra carbs required for the big lifts make me ill. I don't really want to cut, as I'm happy with how I look. Bulking is out of the question. What else is left? I'm not a very good lifter when I don't have a goal, so I'm going to talk to my trainer in a couple weeks.

....of course, I could go back to playing hockey...the lifting portion of my training is probably not much different! Thoughts anyone??

I don't know if you're prone to nasal infections the way that I am...but if you are, give nasal irrigation a shot.  if you're not, ignore this post.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation

edit - and yeah, I shoot a huge syringe of salt water up each nostril every time congestion hints at showing up. helps w/ snoring too (for me). ain't that nasty?

Who told you that the achilles cannot be stretched? I used a technique that enabled me to skate back when I started and was having problems with short tendons. Or were you injured there?

Back